Starting IVF Tuesday w/Lupron shot...scared!!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC by IVF LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 5th, 2008, 07:16 PM
jodifer's Avatar Veteran
We have been TTC since 2003! I have PCOS and we were going to follow thru with IVF last year but I came down with a Pulmonary Embolism that sidelined everything. I have now jumped through all of their hoops getting medical clearance to continue and it's now upon us and I am terrified! With successfully % rates at about 50%, I am trying to keep a down to earth perspective that it may not work but if I mention to my DH "if this takes" he gets really mad at me.

Tuesday I go in for my Lupron shot and a sit down with them regarding timeline and such. I guess I am more scared because to the % rate and I will also have to be on inj. blood thinners throughout the pregnancy.

Someone please calm my fears!!

3/23/2009 - BFP!
7/6 - It's a BOY!!!
11/26 - original EDD
12/2 - New EDD - Expecting Henry Jasper
October 5th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Regular
Send a message via Yahoo to elianabab
Hi,

first of all I want to wish you good luck!

I`m going for IVF in December and like you so scared...

We`ve been trying for almost 5 years!!

Let`s hope it works for us all,

Natalie.
October 6th, 2008, 11:24 AM
nelson1229's Avatar Super Mommy
I just had my IVF retrieval yesterday!!! The Lupron was a piece of cake.. the small insulin needles do not hurt at all.!!! I hope everything turns out good for you!!!
October 7th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You will do just fine.
Did you start your injections today?

BTW, I see you are from Michigan. I am too. What area are you from?

October 7th, 2008, 08:15 PM
jodifer's Avatar Veteran
Thanks for your thoughts. I was so nervous this morning I was shaking. The appt went for 1 1/2 hours and then when the shot was getting prepped I started sweating. However, it went fine, and didn't hurt at "impact" but burned afterwards.
So, right now it looks like I start hormones next Wednesday.

P.S. Maybe someone can help me in creating a signature. Everyone seems to have cool fun ones.

P.P.S. JLK - I'm from Bay City

3/23/2009 - BFP!
7/6 - It's a BOY!!!
11/26 - original EDD
October 18th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Veteran
Hi All~
Just wanted to hop on and say congrats on your upcoming IVF process. I post on forum "TTC by IVF" , topic title "IVF in August". We did our first cyclr of IVF in August. I am estatic to announce that I am 11 weeks 2 days pregnant-with twins It DOES work!!!! Just wanted to say hello to you all and tell youthat I am very excited to read your stories. These are our first babies after TTC for 5 years and diagnosed with "Unexplained Infertility".

Hang in there. I am so glad to have found this support group I did on JM. It helped so much to talk eot people who are actually going through the process. Friends and family are invaluable but having someone understand what you are going through is sooooooo helpful, isn't it?

On a side note. My husband and I had to pay for the meds on our own, no insurance coverage. Toward the end of the protocol, my epected date of retrieval and transfer were a bit "iffy" and we had to buy addtional gonal-f because we were nearing the weekend and didn't want to get stuck without being able to get what I needed. Ended up not needing it. So, we now have some extra fertility drugs. We are looking to offer the meds at cost to anyone who may be interested. We merely would like to get our money back. We did recieve a 30% discount for paying cash so we are looking to offer the meds to someone at the cost we were provided at 30% below the "norm". If you, like us, hav to pay for the meds without ins, and are on a protocol that involves the following meds, and are interested, let me know. All meds are in original packages and HAVE NOT been opened/are sealed. I have the cool packs that were included in the package that was sent to me. (Most people recieve their meds via mail and are in refrigerated packing materials). This is what I have.
One 450IU Gonal-F Pen $328.50
Three 75IU Vials Luveris $22.41 each
One 1mg 0.2ml Lupron $14.21

Anyways, it's great reading your stories and I can't wait to read updates. I am sending well wishes your way!!!!!!!!!!

1 medicated IUI-BFN
August-1st IVF cycle/ICSI
Aug 15th-Transferred 3-8cell grade 2s
Beta Aug 28th POSITIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TWINS!!!!!! Heard and saw TWO hearteatS!!!!
19 weeks 2days-aBOY and a GIRL!!!!!!!

Babies born at 24weeks-January 15th-emergency c section due to previa/placenta abruption
Jenna Nicole 1lb 4oz
Blake Anthony 1lb 3oz
Home from NICU on May 16th, 121 days after birth
Currently healthy and over 12lbs each
October 21st, 2008, 10:48 AM
jodifer's Avatar Veteran
Thanks for the offer, but I am not on any of those meds and thankfully I have great insurance. They have covered all my appts, bloodwork, u/s and MEDS!! I only have to pay for the procedure itself...which was still $8350.

Thanks and congrats on the twins. Since this is only shot at IVF we too are hoping for twins...wish us luck.

3/23/2009 - BFP!
7/6 - It's a BOY!!!
11/26 - original EDD
November 12th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Regular
Well, I guess the only thing I can do is share my IVF story. First, I guess I'll introduce myself. My name is actually Lynn and I'm twenty-five. I've got PCOS and my husband, who is twenty-three, has a very low sperm count. It put us firmly in the male-factor infertility category and in need of IVF to conceive.

It was pure luck that there was a study of a new progesterone medication going on during the time we found out. Basically, they were trialing a progesterone ring similar to the Nuva ring for birth control as an alternative to the progesterone gel that is used normally. Being enrolled in the study cut our IVF cost by half and paid for all of the injectible medications that we would have otherwise had to pay for ourselves as my insurance wouldn't cover anything IVF related.

Anyway, I started the injections in July and had my retrieval and transfer procedures in August. The injections were easy at first; I work in the medical field and handle needles on a daily basis. But after a while, I got to the point where it was taking longer and longer for me to actually jab myself and my husband had to take over. During this time, there was a lot of frustration for me. I began to feel chained to the house, like I couldn't go anywhere or do anything because I had to get these injections done at their appropriate times while my husband could come and go as he pleased. I started to feel like I was the one going through all of the physical discomfort, not to mention the emotional roller coaster due to the medications, and how dare he not be around to go through my mood swings with me. It was a very trying time for both of us, and I shed a lot of tears.

I was told to stop my injections before I had my retrieval procedure, which was on August 9th. All I have to say about that procedure is thank goodness I was sedated for it! Waking up afterward was extremely painful for me. I came out of the sedation crying and had to be given more pain medication. I was also very surprised, when they got me up to use the bathroom, by the amount of blood on the bedsheets. I had known that I would bleed, of course, but it was still surprising for some reason and I was sore for a day or two afterward. My ovaries were very enlarged and painful. Five days after the retrieval procedure, August 14th, I had the transfer procedure. Two fertilized eggs were transferred and it was very surreal and over quicker than I thought it would be. I was not sedated as I'd been before, instead I was given Valium to relax me.

The time between my transfer procedure and my first pregnancy test was possibly the hardest time in my life. I went back to work the following Tuesday (August 19th) and up until that point everything had been going great. However, my first day back I started to have spotting and cramping. I was immediately put on bed rest and feared the worst. They tell you not to get stressed, but when something like that starts to happen there isn't much you can do to stop yourself from getting worked up. It was such an uncertain, difficult time for us because we didn't know how it was going to pan out and I hadn't even had the pregnancy test yet. We thought it was going to be over before we'd even had the chance.

We got a call from our doctor on August 22nd informing us that we were pregnant, despite the bleeding and cramping. It eventually stopped and at my first ultrasound we discovered that only one of the fertilized eggs had survived. The bleeding and cramping had been a miscarriage of the second embryo. The hardest part about that was seeing on the monitor the little dark spot in my uterus where it had definitely implanted and should have been. As hard as that was, we still felt very grateful and very lucky to at least have one baby.

Shortly after my positive pregnancy test, I was placed on the progesterone ring. It was quite a bit thicker than the Nuva Ring, which I'd used for birthcontrol in the past, and was a bit uncomfortable to insert and remove. However, once it was in I couldn't even tell that I had it in. I couldn't remove it for more than an hour, and had to swap rings once a week. I was able to discontinue use of the ring at 12 weeks.

To be honest, during the IVF process our sex life was nonexistent; and we didn't mind it one bit. We were both so stressed out with all of it, sex wasn't even on our minds during the months of July and August.

Anyway, I'm 15 weeks and 2 days pregnant now with one baby. We don't quite know whether it's a boy or a girl, but we're hoping to find out much earlier than December 12th (my 20 week ultrasound appointment.) We also don't think we can handle going through IVF again as it was a very arduous process for us, so barring the very unlikely chance of natural conception, this will likely be our only child.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search