I'm scared. Is that weird?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC by IVF LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 16th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Veteran
IVF. That is my last option, says my doctor. We've done all the tests and everything has taken months. But finally, end result, ding ding ding, IVF is the only method left for me.

What do I expect in the next month or so? The next few months, even? I know IVF is taking my eggs and his sperm and doing stuff in the lab. But other than that, not much else do I know. Tried reading about it but it is so much medical mumbo jumbo.

Can someone please tell me more - in layman's terms? I am scared. I know I should not be but for some reason I am. Is that a normal feeling?

Thank you in advance.

Betsy

Last edited by Betsyusa; August 22nd, 2009 at 09:45 AM.
June 16th, 2009, 09:43 AM
frogftsh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to frogftsh Send a message via Yahoo to frogftsh
Hi Betsy, my name is Gail (36) and DH, Dan (31). We've been TTC for over three years, with two natural pregnancies which both ended in miscarriages. I am now in the 2WW from my second round of IVF.

To answer your first question, NO, being scared about this does NOT make you weird. We've all been through this, and I'm sure that we've all been a bit freaked!

Now onto what to expect. You're going to start with a bunch of testing, which I believe you've already said you have had. When it's time for your IVF cycle, many doctors will plan out a calendar for you and give you a copy so you know what to expect. When your first box of medications arrive, do NOT be overwhelmed! Easier said than done.... Your doctor will go over EVERY piece that's in there with you, and if you have questions, all you have to do is call. Your first medication will be something to suppress ovulation, most of us use an injectable called Lupron. This is given sub-q which is a small syringe/needle that is given in your stomach, they actually don't hurt much at all, and you get used to them quickly. A lot of women give them to themselves, I chose to have my DH stick me though After you've been on the Lupron for a bit, you will start stimming. They will know when to start the other meds by following you via bloodwork (to check your E2 - estradiol levels) and ultrasounds to count your follicles. Stimming is different for many of us....it all depends on your Doctor's protocol. I used a mixture of Bravelle and Menapur the first cycle along with 5 units of Lupron, and on the second cycle I used Follistim and Menapur.....again, this will depend on your Dr.'s protocol. 36 hours before your retrieval you will do your trigger shot which is a shot of HCG. Your retrieval is a minor surgery type of visit. You will be anesthetized and the Dr. will remove your eggs....they will then be inseminated. My office calls every day with a fertility report to tell me how many eggs are growing etc. You'll then have a three or five day transfer depending on the office protocols again. Plan on having mood swings, hot flashes, major bloating throughout the entire cycle!

I hope this eases your mind a bit. It's really not all as bad as it sounds. Please feel free to PM me or leave a message here if you need to talk

June 16th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Kellica's Avatar Super Mommy
I can tell you to try not to be scared but that is easier said than done. I'm just starting IVF and I'm scared too. But I'm also excited. I think the best thing for you to do is to sit down with an RE dr or nurse and have them explain YOUR Ivf protocall. I had a consultation with mine and they explained everything to me in detail. I felt much more knowledgeable after that about IVF. Everyone's is different and depending on what needs to be done will determine your length of time. Mine will be from start to finish almost 8 weeks (Hopefully with a BFP). But that was due to me not getting my period. You'll have to prepare your body too just as if you were trying naturally. Stop smoking, lessen stress, eat healthy, take vitamins etc, etc, etc.
So try not to be so scared. You have found support here from women who are going through the exact same thing and feel the exact same way. I hope I helped alittle. Good Luck!
June 18th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Veteran
Thank you SO very much. I really appreciate this information and your caring posts.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search