How long is IVF cycle?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC by IVF LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 30th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Can someone give me a run down of the time line for IVF? Like to they go from previous period, or just start randomly, how long are you on meds before they retrieve the eggs, etc... Just curious as to what I can look forward to.
August 30th, 2009, 03:47 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
its a 6-8 week process start to finish depending on when you get your period and start BC and when your clinic starts the IVF cycle.

Here is a run down of my cycle.

8/21 baseline ultrasound day 3 of my period
8/23 start birth control pills
9/8 start lupron shots
9/11 stop birth control pills
9/21 baseline ultrasound start stimulation shots bravelle and menopur continue with Lupron shots
9/25 9/28/9/30 ultrasounds to monitor progress
9/30 treatment day 10 probably get my trigger shot this night
retrieval is 36 hours later
transfer is 3-5 days after retrieval

my schedule happened to be shorter than the last times I've done IVF because my period started later in the month which shortened my waiting time.

Last edited by *CAMM*; August 30th, 2009 at 03:54 PM.
August 30th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Super Mommy
It is roughly 8-10 weeks from beginning to end. Once you have decided with your RE that you are goin forward with IVF they will prescribe the BCP for you to be on so they can regulate your cycle. Generally they will have you start suppression injections about 3 weeks into BCP and you will continue those until they tell you to stop. After that you call them with your period start and they will do a baseline u/s. They will instruct you when to start the stim injections to make your follies grow. They will continue to monitor you with blood work and u/s's to watch the growth of your follies. When the eggs are ready to be retrieved, you will stop the injections and take an injections to help your eggs mature. This is called the trigger. You then will have you eggs retrieved between 24-36 hours later. They will monitor and observe your embies for the next 2-5 days. They will either do a 2-day transfer or a 5-day transfer. The more embies you have the better chance you will have a 5-day transfer. You will have a blood test 14 days after your retrieval.

This is just based on what I have done. I have gone through 3 IVF's. And remember all clinics are different. Different protocol and time lines. Hopefully this will give you a better ides though!

Good Luck!

Last edited by kfink818; August 30th, 2009 at 03:51 PM.
August 30th, 2009, 04:12 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Ditto what these girls explained...they did a great job. As for when your cycle will start, every clinic do it differently. My RE puts everyone on a schedule with a start date/baseline u/s on a Saturday. The IVF Coordinator picked a date based on the availability of the RE and lab, and then worked backwards from there in figuring out the rest of my schedule. Other REs work with your natural cycle.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

August 30th, 2009, 04:35 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my RE does group cycles as well. There is a cut off date that you have to get your baseline and ultrasound done to start birth control. If you miss it you have to wait for the next batch cycle.

Likewise we will all have our retrievals w/in a few days of each other. It makes it easier for the clinic to track IVF cycles this way.

August 30th, 2009, 04:49 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What they all said, though my clinic doesn't do batch cycles, whenever I get my period is when I start BCP, and I take that for 21 days, get a period, then start stims. It's a two-cycle process. Actual stims injections can take usually 9-13 days before trigger and then retrieval.

Once you start the process you'll be given a calendar by your clinic with everything layed out for you!

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
August 30th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Veteran
Just know this, heh!

IVF is a full time job. Sort of. I always had an early appt with me RE, Dr. Keltz. I was usually there at 7:30A. Done by 8:30A'ish. Depending on how busy his office was.

Everything is thoroughly explained. So you are told what to do and when.

For me? I was on birth control pills for two months before starting IVF because I had a huge cyst in my right ovary and the pills helped to shrink it and regulate my period. So the moment I said, "I want to start IVF," I was started a few days later.

And just never looked back. But for me? I was five weeks from start to finish, HAVING been there repeated times for the cyst. So I was fully checked out before starting.

When I say, IVF is a full time gig, I meant that you are examined a LOT. It was pretty much every day for me. Dr. Keltz wanted to know how I was and what doses were working and stuff.

Don't even compare your program with others. Heh! I got to know the IVF women every morning in the waiting room. We ALL had different programs. And different meds. Everyone was soooooo different.

Hope this helps! B
April 27th, 2012, 07:10 PM
This is my first post.

What I do not understand is why use birth control pills when someone is trying to get pregnant? Does the medication continue after six weeks. What is the cost involved if not covered by insurance. Any good clinics / doctors referral?

Thanks a lot for your information.
Mit
April 28th, 2012, 04:35 AM
*JenJen*'s Avatar impatiently waiting
Mit-

A lot of the costs differ based on doctors offices, protocols, insurance coverage, etc. so those are hard to explain. Most IVF cycles cost between $6000 and $12000, including meds.
The idea behind using birth control and lupron is to suppress your natural cycle in order to make it easier for the doctors to control your response to the stimulation meds. Most people are on about 3-4 weeks of birth control, then the average is 12 days of stim meds. After stimming, trigger, and retrieval, most people start on some form of progesterone. If you become pregnant from the cycle, the progesterone could be continued until the end of the first trimester, depending on your doctor's protocols and policies.

As for clinics/doctors, your best bet is to research their SART data and find one that is great at dealing with your issues. Different doctors specialize in MFI, RPL, PCOS, DOR, etc., so it's important to find a doctor that knows how to handle your case.

My Blog
2006-2013 6+ years of NTNP, TTC, TTCMA, Losses, Surgeries, and Diagnoses.
RPL and Genetic Tests came back 100% normal | Endo, PCOS, severe MFI
Multiple early losses between 3 and 8 weeks.

Broken in heart, mind, and body. On a break until Summer 2014

November 18th, 2012, 03:43 PM
In general, it's a two cycle process. But the details vary for many reasons, your RE, your infertility diagnosis, etc. But two months is normal. Some info can be found here, but your best bet is to read a bunch of replies on this forum, and get a feel for what might cause it to take longer, or why you may have to have time off between negative cycles. But let's hope you won't have any of those!

Good luck.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search