true vs false

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC by IVF LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 27th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Bayamount
Alright, so here's what i was told

My dh will get tested, thenhis extraction and will have approx2 days off work. he shouldnt feel pain just a bit of discomfort.
I will have to go throug some test for like.. stds and such, routine, then when all is ready, ill have 10 days of needling myslef with i dont know what, they havent talked side effects with me yet, also some pills for the first 3 months of prego if it happens.
the day of the retrieval for me, they said i shouldt feel pain either, only discomfort, and that during the procedure, they will give me a drug that'll make me willing to do anything, and dh will be assisting to keep me from dancing on the table (the doctor's words exactly). i should be sleepy afterwards.
3-4 days pass, i go back for injection of 2 mini babies as there is 50% for each to stick, and the discomfort was described to be like a speculum.

now, the reality of it????
September 27th, 2009, 02:43 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I am just starting my IVF journey, so I can't help you yet. Give me 6 weeks, and I'll be a wealth of information!

As far as there being a 50% chance of each embryo sticking...that strikes me as incorrect. A lot depends on the quality of the embryos that they are putting back in. If the embryos are excellent 5-day blasts, then the chance is much higher that things will work out. If the embryo is a poor 3-day, then the chances are much lower. It also depends on your age and health...there are a lot of factors that determine the success rate per embryo. It isn't as simple as "50 % chance."

ETA: You might want to ask this question over in the TTC w/ MFI section. Those girls will know more about what the surgery for your husband will be like since many of them have been through it.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

September 27th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Bayamount
hmm interesting. how many are they implanting for you do you know?
September 27th, 2009, 03:12 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
As long as you stay within the ASRM guidelines (you can find those here: http://www.asrm.org/Media/Practice/G...of_embryos.pdf), it is up to the patient to decide. For healthy patients under 35 with no history of failed IVF attempts, the suggestion is one or two. As long as we have a 5-day blast that is graded good or excellent, we'll only be transferring one embryo.

The "two-for-one" idea with twins is definitely tempting after all we have been through...especially with the amount of money we are spending out-of-pocket. In a way, it seems like I deserve something "special" after having to go through IVF.

In reality, though, there are a lot of risks with twins. There are health risks for the Mom and baby, as well as an extra financial burden when dealing with multiples. I don't think I am cut out for bed rest or NICU babies, and don't want to put myself at a higher risk for those things. I won't go through all the possible complications here...there is a lot of research out there for you to read.

Another consideration is where we live...a small town in the middle of nowhere, and the maternity/infant care here isn't what I would consider ideal. The closest NICU is 100 miles away, and the hospital here won't even deliver babies unless they are 34 weeks...definitely not a great situation if you are pregnant with twins!

Additionally, I worry that I won't be as good of a parent if I have twins...I worry that I will be overwhelmed by two babies and won't be able to be the wonderful Mother that I have pictured all these years.

For DH and I, a singleton pregnancy is preferable, though of course any children we are able to have will be a huge blessing. That's not to say that this is the right decision for everyone, and I certainly don't judge anyone for making a different decision (except maybe for Octo-Mom!). There are a lot of girls from our board who have had healthy twins, and I'm certain they wouldn't change a thing. This is something that you and DH will have to talk about so you can make the best decision for you and your family.

P.S. Sorry for the novel...I wrote this as much for myself as for anyone else. When I get frustrated and scared of failing at IVF, I start getting emotional and thinking about how great it would be to just have twins and have two little ones by this time next year. I have to remind myself to be logical and do what is best for DH and I and our future family.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

Last edited by KMH; September 27th, 2009 at 03:26 PM.
September 27th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
As Melissa explaiend, rates of implantation depend on the women's age, infertility issues, and egg quality, plus a whole host of other factors that vary depending on the methods used by the specific clinic. I was told with unexplained infertility and being less than 35 years old, if I transferred two embryos, I had about a 40% chance. But, they really don't know. The statistic is simply that -- a statistic based on the number of cycles my clinic has done and how many live births they have experienced with women with my diagnosis. Although you shouldn't disregard a clinic's stats, I wouldn't put that much faith in them because there are too many variables. I'd be wary of any doctor that said you had definitely a ___ chance of getting pregnant. (But, then again, I'd be wary of a doctor that guaranteed anything!!)

I'm only transferring one embryo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMH View Post

P.S. Sorry for the novel...I wrote this as much for myself as for anyone else. When I get frustrated and scared of failing at IVF, I start getting emotional and thinking about how great it would be to just have twins and have two little ones by this time next year. I have to remind myself to be logical and do what is best for DH and I and our future family.

Melissa, sometimes, I think you're reading my mind. I've been bouncing back and forth all week over our decision to transfer one and I keep having to remind myself why we are only going to do one. Or rather, DH keeps reminding me.

September 2009 IVF - BFN; November IVF -Ec topic Pregnancy; May 2010- IVF cycle- BFN,
July 2010 IVF cycle: BFP - m/c induced at 8 weeks because of no heartbeat
March 2011 IVF: BFP!!!
September 27th, 2009, 04:14 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Realities..... It was in many ways easier than expected, and in other ways harder.

Physically it was easier. The injections, surgeries, procedures... they were all a lot easier than I ever imagined them to be. I would get myself all psyched out for an injection, then we'd do it and I'd say... oh. That's it? My retrievals they put be out cold for.... they call it a 'heavy sedation', but I would typically be out cold until they woke me up afterwards. I had no pain for retrievals, but some girls do. Transfers really do just feel like the speculum, because that's all it is... they use a catheter to inject the embryos into the uterus. I never feel much other than the speculum and them fiddling around trying to get the catheter through my cervix.

The part that's harder? Emotionally. Oh my, I wasn't ready for the high highs and low lows. I cried so many times, and not just at the negatives. During IVF we discovered I have an egg problem, so we had many bad news along the way with poor fertilization rates. The hormones would make me even more touchy, so I was frequently a crying, depressed, pessimistic mess.

But getting that BFP? Oh it's worth it.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
September 27th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Bayamount
oh wow!!! they didnt tell me about hormonal side effects yet... i never thought they were that intense! im glad the needle thing isnt that bad though.. god im so nervous!
September 27th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayamount View Post
oh wow!!! they didnt tell me about hormonal side effects yet... i never thought they were that intense! im glad the needle thing isnt that bad though.. god im so nervous!
This is a boiled down version. But think of it this way: Each follicle normally produces x-amount of hormones and with a stimulated cycle, you are trying to produce x-amount more. so for me, I have about 20 follicles right now, and I'm basically producing double the normal amount of hormones. The first few days I was an emotional wreck. It's gotten a bit easier.

But, that hormonal response is impacted by the normal emotional rollar coaster. I'm new to this, but it's hard. But, with support, so far it's manageable.

Best of luck to you!

September 2009 IVF - BFN; November IVF -Ec topic Pregnancy; May 2010- IVF cycle- BFN,
July 2010 IVF cycle: BFP - m/c induced at 8 weeks because of no heartbeat
March 2011 IVF: BFP!!!
September 27th, 2009, 08:15 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Being really blunt... this is going to be the hardest thing you've ever gone through...ttc wise at least.

Shots are no biggie. Retrieval is very painful for me..worse than most of my surgeries. Im out cold for mine and dont remember a thing but when i wake up it feels like ive been beat with a baseball bat on my stomach.

the emotional aspect of this is very hard. No matter what the doctor tells you tehy dont know what is going to happen when you stim...so be prepared for anything..be prepared for a ton of eggs..no eggs..no mature eggs..none fertilizing..all fertilizing but not making it to transfer..all making it to transfer.

Im only 25 and did my first IVF cycle when i was 23. My embryos were very poor quality and none made it. 2nd round i responded great again..textbook cycle..but after retrieval my eggs were immature, low in numbers, embryos were poor quality and barely made it to day 3..and I got a bfn again. so in my situation i had a text book cycle but after retrieval my embryos were compared to a woman with high fsh and over 40 yrs of age.

the best thing you can do is to look at it w/open eyes. This is a very hard thing to go through..it might work the first time or it might take more than one cycle. Once you get a bfp it makes all the tears, stress, and pain worth it.

September 27th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Bayamount
i sure am glad my friend showed me this forum, you guys are great. doctors say a lot of things, i want to know the real deal

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search