2 day transfers?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC by IVF LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 4th, 2009, 05:58 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I have been debating and debating about whether to post this but figure you guys are going to find out about it sooner or later anyway. My doc does a 2 day transfer, at least according to what they told me and according to my schedule. I have not seen anyone else doing a 2 day transfer. I have read up on it a little and it seems that some think that it is better to let the embryos grow inside of you and others think it is better to wait and transfer the best looking ones (at least that is the way I understand it).

So anyway, has anyone else done a 2 day transfer?

The reason I was afraid to post about it was because I was worried someone would say they thought this wasn't a good idea. I feel pretty comfortable with it but feel like the only one who is having a 2 day transfer.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
December 4th, 2009, 09:06 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I have to admit I have never heard of a 2-day transfer. Now I'm all curious and need to go Google

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

December 4th, 2009, 09:47 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
from what i know they used to do 2 day transfer when IVF first became available, then it went to 3 day transfers and now 5 day transfers are now the most common. the only problem with 2 day transfers is your are sort of going into the transfer blind. there isnt really a way to tell which embryos are the best to transfer on day 2 since stuff doesnt really start happening until day 3 and even more so by day 5. but there are problems with every transfer day you pick..day 3 they arent so developed as a day 5 and then you will hear that some embryos that died before day 5 might have made it if they were transferred on day 3. its such a crap shoot really.

i do believe that some embryo's do better inside the uterus instead of growing in a lab. My RE even thinks this may be the case with my embryos..that they are just very sensitive to outside influences even in the petri dish.

December 5th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *CAMM* View Post
from what i know they used to do 2 day transfer when IVF first became available, then it went to 3 day transfers and now 5 day transfers are now the most common. the only problem with 2 day transfers is your are sort of going into the transfer blind. there isnt really a way to tell which embryos are the best to transfer on day 2 since stuff doesnt really start happening until day 3 and even more so by day 5. but there are problems with every transfer day you pick..day 3 they arent so developed as a day 5 and then you will hear that some embryos that died before day 5 might have made it if they were transferred on day 3. its such a crap shoot really.

i do believe that some embryo's do better inside the uterus instead of growing in a lab. My RE even thinks this may be the case with my embryos..that they are just very sensitive to outside influences even in the petri dish.
This is what I wasn't sure of. I didn't know if this was an old practice that my clinic just hasn't changed or if this was something that he did because he preferred two day transfers for some reason. I will probably ask them a little about this at some point. I am not too worried about it but it has been on my mind a bit since I think I am the only one having a 2 day transfer.

December 5th, 2009, 12:22 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I would be interested to know how they choose which one(s) to put back in...we had 13 embryos on Day 2, but only 7 made it to Day 5. One of the frontrunners at first ended up not making it, which was surprising to me.

Will you be transferring 2?

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

December 5th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMH View Post
I would be interested to know how they choose which one(s) to put back in...we had 13 embryos on Day 2, but only 7 made it to Day 5. One of the frontrunners at first ended up not making it, which was surprising to me.

Will you be transferring 2?
Yes that is the plan. I originally wanted to transfer just one but it seems that will make my chances of conceiving not really high. I have gone into this with the attitude that this might take me a few cycles. I figure eventually I will get a keeper.

I will have to find out more as I go along. I will post my updates so you can find out as I find out.

December 6th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
hmm thats new to me. We are talking about what we want to do in reguards to a 3 day vs a 5 day transfer right now too.

December 7th, 2009, 01:49 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know some doctors do 2-days, though it's not too common. I have a friend who did 2-day transfers. For her it was ideal, because she is older and her egg quality is really low, so for her waiting to see which few embryos survived to transfer was not ideal. She ended up getting pregnant too! (with a singleton) If I had a ton of embryos to choose from then I don't think I'd want to do a 2-day, so maybe ask if they have a contingency plan, and ask when they freeze embryos. My RE transfers at day 3 if you have a handful of embryos, day 5 if you have more, and freezes on day 6.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
December 7th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Well I talked to him about this today. He said that there wasn't any difference in success rates between the three day transfers and the two day transfers. I read this myself when I was researching. He explained the reasons why they do 3 and 5 day transfers (which seemed to be the same reasons as you gals suggest) and said that he does sometimes do 3 day and 5 day transfers as well. He said that your chances of having multiples increase with 5 day transfers because the embryos are more likely to split so that is one of the reasons they do the 2 day transfer. Also just that this was what has worked for his office and has been successful. I think doctors do what works for them and I know my RE's office has some of the best stats in my state so I feel safe with his decisions.

December 7th, 2009, 09:30 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do agree with that - every clinic does things differently, whatever they have found works for them. Every clinic and lab has slightly different procedures, protocols, etc. So what works good for one may not work at all at another. I'm glad you feel good about it!

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
December 30th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Veteran
My transfers (3 tries) were all two day frozen transfers meaning thawed and grown for 24 hours. My clinic is well-respected and very research based-they do various transfers based on the client. In my case, they felt the potential babies would attach and stay viable better if younger. They were willing to delay as I preferred to three or five day and I did not. These were 2-3-4 cell embryoes.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search