Gatorade?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC by IVF LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 24th, 2010, 12:13 PM
barbarella's Avatar Super Mommy
I've noticed that some of the girls on here started drinking gatorade. Is and is it something that your doctor advises you to drink? I haven't been told to do anything particularly different and i just wondered if it would be beneficial?

Make a pregnancy ticker
May 24th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Hopingfor1soon's Avatar Expecting a Miracle!
Send a message via MSN to Hopingfor1soon Send a message via Yahoo to Hopingfor1soon
I was told to drink lots of Gatorade after the retreival to keep my electrolites up. I'm not sure if there is any other benefit, that's all my RE shared with me.

May 24th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm having to drink lots of gatorade because I developed OHSS (where you get very sick and dehydrated). They want you to drink it to try and prevent OHSS. But, my RE also told me that if you're gonna get it, you're gonna get it and there's no preventing it. But, there's only a 3-8% chance of developing OHSS. Lucky me!
May 24th, 2010, 05:08 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I was instructed to start chugging Gatorade (I chose G2 because it doesn't have so much sugar) after the retrieval to lessen the severity of OHSS if it happened to me. It doesn't prevent OHSS, but can help keep you hydrated, which helps prevent a whole host of problems including blood clots. I really like to drink it anyway...water gets so boring

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

May 25th, 2010, 11:42 AM
barbarella's Avatar Super Mommy
Thank you it's nice to know what these things are. Sorry you're having such a rough time Allison....hope you feel better soon

Make a pregnancy ticker
July 26th, 2010, 08:33 PM
For everyone drinking Gatorade, just be mindful of how much you drink and try to equal you consumption with as much water as gaterade. Gatorade and powerade both have alot of sodium. But it does help with replinishment but high in sodium which could ne a negative later.
July 27th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Sacred Silence's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The sodium is an electroyte. Water follows sodium.. it's why they want gatorade. It helps keep/attract water into your blood vessels and out of your abdominal/thoracic cavity. In this ONE instance, the high sodium levels are desirable. Battling dehydration takes very different measures than what is normally recommended.

July 27th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
I was reading about it on the internet last night and what I read says to avoid it because of the high sodium, which can make you retain water and wouldn't help in OHSS>

July 27th, 2010, 08:16 AM
No.. it DOES help because the salt in your blood vessels pulls the fluid out of your abdomen. The salt in your veins will attract water INTO The veins which is where they want it.

OHSS presents a problem because fluid leaks out of your veins and into your abdominal/chest cavity. The fluid in places where it does not belong leads to the bloating and breathing problems. It's another reason a high protein diet helps.. the proteins are too big to leave your vessels.. hence they attract water into the blood vessels too.

July 27th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy's Avatar Proud mom of Leiland
Send a message via AIM to Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy
I too read to eat high protein, same article. Either way I don't drink anything but water, but my dr never said anything about drinking other then water

July 27th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Water is great but when you have OHSS it adds to the problem because it will just leak out into the places it doesn't belong. It's so hard to explain but in my anatomy class we learned how fluid exchange works in the body. It's a lot of information.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search