IVF First timer!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC by IVF LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 4th, 2010, 03:00 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello,

I have been on the ttc with ma board for almost 2 years now. In that time I did a few cycles of clomid and then many cycles of injectibles with iui's. I have one child from my first marriage, who I had really young, and my husband has 3 from his first marriage. We tried for 2 years to have one together after we got married and then spent 2 years with medical assistance. His sperm are good and I have mild endometriosis. So we are now venturing into IVF. I start meds tomorrow. Just got all the meds today and was totally overwhelmed by the amount of meds! I am the type to not even take a tylenol for cramps or headaches.....so I am freaking about all the IVF meds!!

I have been trying to read online about side effects, short and long-term, from all the meds but have found conflicting stuff. MY dr said that there are no long term effects. But I am just nervous about taking all these meds! What have all of you heard and experienced with IVF meds?

I am also nervous about the procedure of taking the eggs out since I will be put to sleep for 20 minutes. How was the procedure for all of you?

I am just a ball of nerves and excitement!!

November 4th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Regular
Hi Mom2more,

I am also a first timer at IVF and just started my first Gonal F injection today. I am just as nervous as you are about it all, but trying to stay positive and think about the outcome!
We've been TTC for 3yrs and we have found out along the way that I also have mild endo and DH's sperm is fine.
I'm wishing you the best of luck this cycle. We can be IVF buddies!!

Aug 07 - started TTC
Nov 07 - BFP, Dec 07 - M/c at 5w 4d
May 08 - BFP . Cyst on left ovary, June 08 - M/c at 7w 4d.
Dec 08 - Laparoscopy to remove cyst. Very mild endo dx.
Dec 08-Mar 09 - BCP
Mar 09 - start ttc again
Jan 10 - First RE app. All b/w and SA are very good
Mar-Jun 10 - 4x TI cycles with Pregnyl/Ovidrell trigger - BFN
Jul 10 - MA Brk
Aug 10 - Lap/Hyste/Dye - Endo removed, all else clear, BCP for 6wks.
Nov 10 - IVF #1
November 5th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Hi ChicParis! I am glad to see I am not the only first timer! I started my follistim twice a day today and my HCG once daily today. I have been reading a lot about IVF and read about mock transfers. My RE does not do that. Does yours?

November 8th, 2010, 03:08 AM
Regular
I don't think my RE does mock transfers, but I've also read about it. I'm in Australia so things are a bit different here. I'm not getting any hcg shots, only 1 gonal f injection per day, then the last 3 days I'll be getting Orgalutran injections (to stop natural ovulation) and finally the trigger on the last day of stimming.
I'm going in for an u/s tomorrow morning to see how things are evolving!
How are you doing?

Aug 07 - started TTC
Nov 07 - BFP, Dec 07 - M/c at 5w 4d
May 08 - BFP . Cyst on left ovary, June 08 - M/c at 7w 4d.
Dec 08 - Laparoscopy to remove cyst. Very mild endo dx.
Dec 08-Mar 09 - BCP
Mar 09 - start ttc again
Jan 10 - First RE app. All b/w and SA are very good
Mar-Jun 10 - 4x TI cycles with Pregnyl/Ovidrell trigger - BFN
Jul 10 - MA Brk
Aug 10 - Lap/Hyste/Dye - Endo removed, all else clear, BCP for 6wks.
Nov 10 - IVF #1
November 8th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Super Mommy
Hello ladies. The only side affect that I experienced from all of the meds that I have taken are from Lupron. Thankfully, I only had to take it for my first IVF. As you get closer to retrieval, your pants fit tighter and you just feel pressure on your ovaries.

All of the meds were/are an adjustment for me too. I hardly ever take anything other than a vitamin and if I had really bad headaches, I would take tylenol. I am currently doing acupuncture and herbs before my last IVF attempt. It's been a huge adjustment taking close to 25 vitamins/herbs and other things (per day!) that my acupuncturist wants me to take. But I will do anything to get a BFP!!!

My RE doesn't do mock transfers. The retrieval isn't bad at all. You may be a little tender in your abdomen, but I usually go home and sleep it off! The transfer is a little uncomfortable because they want you to have a full bladder.

Good luck ladies! And if ya have any other questions, just ask away!

3 failed fresh IVFs, 1 failed FET
Surprise BFP in 12/10 after acupuncture & herbs!!
1 beautiful, perfect daughterl!

November 8th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Went to the doctor this morning for bloodwork and ultrasound. The nurse said about 8 follies have popped up. She said when I go back Wednesday they may see more. She said that next Tues or Wed (16th or 17th) will be retrieval day. I am excited and nervous!! I think I am just most nervous about being knocked out. But it is just IV anistethesia, so I guess its no big deal.

I have ganorelix and ovidrell shots that I will have to take at some point this cycle. I took them before during injectible and IUI cycles and they were no big deal.

TTB my friend said that she did acupuncture during her IVF cycle (and for a while prior to it) and she said it made her feel good and that her first IVF cycle was a success!

My dr prescribed me valium to take an hour prior to the transfer to relax me. Is that normal??

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search