Painful Progesterone Injections, Help!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC by IVF LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Veteran
Hi ladies,

I desperately need some advice. I take my progesterone injection nightly. It seems to me that it gets more and more painful each night. It hurt so bad tonight that I literally had tears!

I've tried warming up the progesterone once I loaded it up into the syringe by rolling it lightly between my hands. I've tried to apply pressure into the injection site to help with the pain afterwards. My tush hurts when I lay on my back or sit down.

Does anyone else find this to be the case with their progesterone injections? What are you doing to help with the pain? Any tips, advice, suggestions are welcomed.
July 9th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think thats about it. They stay painful and usually get worse because you get sore

July 10th, 2011, 06:00 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I used a heating pad on my rear, and that seemed to help a lot. I was still sore, but the heating pad made some of the muscle soreness better...at least I could walk!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

July 10th, 2011, 07:16 AM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
Can you switch it up to the front of the thighs and then the back again? Rotate once every day? Then definately use a heating pad. It does help a little.

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
July 10th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Working mommy
Of all the injections and things that have gone on with this IVF--these progesterone shots are BY FAR the worst. I have lumps on both sides and sometimes itch like crazy at the site afterward.

To decrease pain here's what I do: I found if my husband pinches the site firmly the injection itself hurts less. Then I do rub it for a bit afterward. I don't do it right before bed. If you don't move around a bit afterward you will be more sore. I actually walk up and down my stairs a few times to have the muscles move and blood move to the area. And of course I sit on my beloved heating pad for like an hour after.

Hope this helps!

Our FET love to complete our family
July 11th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Veteran
I got some pretty good feedback from another forum. Lots of tips and advice. So based on all their advice, I did a combo of things last night.

Last night, I took the injection standing up with all my weight on the side that isn't getting injected. DH iced the injection site and warmed up the oil. He held the skin down while injecting and let go after it was all in there. Dh then applied a heating pad to the site and massaged it a bit.

Last night was the least this injection ever hurt. I was literally in tears all the other nights. I will have to do this again combo again and see how it holds up before having to switch it up.
July 13th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I used a heating pad for about 10 minutes on my rear-end before doing the injections. After applying the heat, I'd rub an ice cube inside a sandwich baggie over the spot where I'd get the poke to numb the skin. Then the heating pad went back on my tush afterwards to relax the muscle again. Having someone else give them to you might be helpful as well--better angles maybe?
July 14th, 2011, 07:44 AM
I totally feel your pain. These injections are terrible. I have done IVF in the past so this is our second time and I hate waking up every morning knowing that I have to inject that into my sore rear I actually spoke with my doctor because the pain was so bad and they suggested switching to olive oil projesterone instead of the sesame oil injections I have been using. She said sometimes people have more of a reaction to the sesame oil. I haven't switched yet so I'm not sure what the difference will be but maybe this is something you could consider talking over with your doctor? Good luck.
July 14th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp32 View Post
I totally feel your pain. These injections are terrible. I have done IVF in the past so this is our second time and I hate waking up every morning knowing that I have to inject that into my sore rear I actually spoke with my doctor because the pain was so bad and they suggested switching to olive oil projesterone instead of the sesame oil injections I have been using. She said sometimes people have more of a reaction to the sesame oil. I haven't switched yet so I'm not sure what the difference will be but maybe this is something you could consider talking over with your doctor? Good luck.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely bring it up to my doctor when I go in on Mon.
July 14th, 2011, 09:56 AM
LindseyandJoeinAL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies! Just popping in to see how you IVF'ers are doing. My RE prescribed Crinone gel, a progesterone suppository, in lieu of the painful injections. He said that studies have shown equal success rates. My 2nd IVF worked, so obviously the gel was effective. Have you asked your REs about doing the suppositories instead?

Either way, I wish you pain-free shots and lots of BFPs!!!
TTC baby #2

lap surgery Apr 2010 stage 2 endo removed
IVF #1 BFN 11/2010
IVF #2 BFP! 12/2010
Wonderful, sweet daughter Khloe born August 2011
FET #1 - Oct 2012 BFN
FET #2 - Dec 2012 BFN
2nd lap surgery Dec 2012 stage 1 endo removed
IUI Apr 2013 cancelled due to producing 10 mature follicles
IUI June 2013 BFN
IVF #3 Sept 2013 BFN
IVF #4 Nov 2013 BFP! on 8dp3dt
Expecting boy/girl twins 8/1/14

July 15th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilacs80 View Post
I got some pretty good feedback from another forum. Lots of tips and advice. So based on all their advice, I did a combo of things last night.

Last night, I took the injection standing up with all my weight on the side that isn't getting injected. DH iced the injection site and warmed up the oil. He held the skin down while injecting and let go after it was all in there. Dh then applied a heating pad to the site and massaged it a bit.

Last night was the least this injection ever hurt. I was literally in tears all the other nights. I will have to do this again combo again and see how it holds up before having to switch it up.
I tried the same strategy on my left cheek the other night......no success. It was soooo PAINFUL! So I'm back to square one. But I have noticed that it just hurts more on my left than my right. My right hurts too, but it seems to be more painful on the left. Maybe my left is more sensitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyandJoeinAL View Post
Hi ladies! Just popping in to see how you IVF'ers are doing. My RE prescribed Crinone gel, a progesterone suppository, in lieu of the painful injections. He said that studies have shown equal success rates. My 2nd IVF worked, so obviously the gel was effective. Have you asked your REs about doing the suppositories instead?

Either way, I wish you pain-free shots and lots of BFPs!!!
Thanks! I will bring this up to my RE as well. I hope for less painful injections too! I have bruises all over my bum now. So not attractive.
September 28th, 2013, 12:35 PM
I was also crying after every shot. My RN told me to have my husband give the shot over 2 - 3 minutes. It sounds terrible but it has made a HUGE difference. I use heat afterwards as well (actually, I use a heating pad whenever I'm at home or in bed), alternate sites, and try to "walk-it-off" and stretch. I have to get them twice a day, and they still hurt, but not like they did before.
September 30th, 2013, 05:55 AM
Hello! I thought I'd offer some advice from my own experience. I'm assuming you're using the 22 gauge needle (gray)...you can also switch to the 25 gauge needle which is the blue needle (same one you use for HCG shot) and it's WAY less painful. Also, after about 10 days into the shots (with gray needle) I was swollen and extremely painful. I couldn't lay on my back and it hurt to sleep. The injections at that point weren't paintful but the aftermath of the 2cc's of oil were painful. I went back into my doctor and we weren't giving the shots up high enough. They really should be pretty high on the buttox...upper right corner. We made the mistake of giving one really low (where the first nurse marked the spot) and it was insanely painful. I cried instantly. So, I'd say to check your injection spot and make sure it's high enough first. The heating pad after the shot for 5-10 minutes I found helps with the swelling afterwards but I haven't needed it since I switched to the smaller (blue needle). I do still use it occasionally though. I tried to post a link but it won't let me yet. Google Progesterone in Oil Injections and click the link for center4reproduction . com

I hope this helps. I just keep thinking it's worth it!!! Good luck!
May 29th, 2014, 08:29 PM
A bit late on this but I just started the shots and so far, not so bad. I've been icing up my bumm for about 5 minutes (any longer would maybe cause damage to nerves per nurse) and my husband does his quick dart in my upper quadrant. It's only been 3 days, but I am sure as the weeks go on, it's going to take its toll. We all know, one day at a time! Good luck!!
May 30th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Hopingfor1soon's Avatar Expecting a Miracle!
Send a message via MSN to Hopingfor1soon Send a message via Yahoo to Hopingfor1soon
Here is what works for me.... I didn't read the other replies, but just to give you some insight I do get a little sore like a bruise sometimes, but not always and I never have severe pain during the injection or right after EVER!

So I start with ICE!!! I ice for like 20 minutes seriously... my RE says there is no issue with this at all. Then we do the shot. I always make sure I am leaning over like on a bed and have all my weight on the other foot/leg than the side that is getting the shot. We do the shot and DH massages afterwards for probably 2-3 minutes to spread the oil around and then I heat with a rice pad on the injection site for about 20 minutes after. It works wonders!!!

June 2nd, 2014, 01:17 PM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
I just took shot....like a man! However, after a few weeks I had to pull out the heating bad for after the shot to get the lumps to go away. The shot didn't hurt the lumps hurt.

I did have both sides of my hips go numb for months and months after stopping PIO at 12 weeks pregnant. My babies are 6 months old now and I am finally no longer numb on my hips.
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13
June 2nd, 2014, 10:22 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
Holy old post Batman!

FurryMom- I wish you luck and hope that it stays that way! But 3 days in I was fine! it was weeks in that I wanted to shoot myself!

As for my tip: If I injected too low (below the top of the crack) I would get larger knots.
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

June 3rd, 2014, 03:44 AM
babymomma's Avatar Veteran
I actually use a 27 gauge needle. It is so much better, can't feel the needle at all. It takes a little longer to inject but not bad at all.

IVF #1 5/2014 16 retrieved, 14 fertilized (icsi), transferred 2 (4 cell) day 2...BFP 8dp2dt (10dpo). Beta 13dpo, 132. Beta 17dpo, 769.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search