TMI question : fresh vs frozen sperm

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC by IVF LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 9th, 2011, 12:02 PM
*Melissa*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to *Melissa*
So here is the deal. Dh is not comfortable with masturbation- and well... I am not either lol. we are both Christians and for us, we just don't want to conceive that way. In times before when we've had to produce a sample we have used a collection condom, and before we knew about those, I just "helped" him produce lol, which worked great for us! Well now we are going to be doing IVF, and it suddenly hit me... How are we going to do this if the sample needs to be produced the same time as egg retrieval? The simple logical solution is using frozen sperm from a collection time of our choosing. My worry is that even though studies show it as being equally successful I know that RE's prefer fresh, as they tend to be a little more "active".
Any suggestions? What have others done?

Any encouraging input is welcome
August 10th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Super Mommy
Hey Melissa! I was going to reply to this yesterday, but was having problems with loading pages. Anywho.....I would suggest that you talk to your doctor and see what they recommend. At my doctor's office, they mentioned that sometimes men do have "stage fright." They offered an option of collecting a sample and freezing it, just in case that would be a problem. Your doctor may have some options such as that.

Good luck! I would be interested to hear what they say!

TTC #1 since August 2009

DH=42.......SA's off the charts!!!
Me=33........unexplained
One year on our own=BFNs
Clomid+BDing (4 months)=BFNs
IUI #1 Feb. 2011=BFN
IUI #2 Apr. 2011=BFN
1st RE appt.=May 2011
1st IVF cycle June/July=delayed due to OHSS concern
10 Snowbabies!!!!!!!
1st FET Oct. 2011=BFP!!!!!!
Beta #1=1,398
Beta #2=8,032
Beta #3=14,955
11/10/11=1st u/s
WOW, two babies.........
August 10th, 2011, 02:24 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Ugh, it is just NOT a fun situation no matter how you look at it

Most REs will have you freeze at least one sample ahead of time, because if something does go wrong on the day of the retrieval, you absolutely have to have a Plan B. Since Brian doesn't have any sperm issues, I bet it would be absolutely fine to use a frozen sample. People who use sperm donors do it all the time, right?

The only other thing I would ask about is if you guys can do the sample together right before the retrieval. Maybe it would still be fresh enough if you did it that way?

Good luck, Melissa. I'm so excited for your IVF journey to begin!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

August 10th, 2011, 03:37 PM
KatieBeth138's Avatar Veteran
I'm pretty sure you have up to an hour after the sample is collected to use the sperm. (I could be very wrong though). But if that's the case, I'd say collect it together immediately before going to the dr if you don't live too far away.
August 10th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Veteran
Frozen is just as good as fresh when doing IVF says both our clinic's embryologist and my cousin who is an embryologist. We got 18 grade 1AA blasts with our frozen sperm!
August 10th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Thanks Twomamas! I have read that is the case, my only worry was that I was afraid the people who used frozen sperm had to use ICSI for IVF because the sperm would be "active" enough to penetrate the eggs.
However, Melissa has a good point, people use frozen donor sperm all the time for IUI's! So it must work!

Brian has never had sperm issues. He thankfully has "super sperm"

I think we will just be blunt and ask if maybe he and I can have a room (lol) RIGHT before retrieval haha.

And then we will also do back up sperm and use the condom for the frozen sperm if they cannot accommodate.

Thank you all so much for your responses- I was a little embarrassed to ask!
August 10th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Super Mommy
For me, at this point, nothing is too embarrassing or TMI! lol

TTC #1 since August 2009

DH=42.......SA's off the charts!!!
Me=33........unexplained
One year on our own=BFNs
Clomid+BDing (4 months)=BFNs
IUI #1 Feb. 2011=BFN
IUI #2 Apr. 2011=BFN
1st RE appt.=May 2011
1st IVF cycle June/July=delayed due to OHSS concern
10 Snowbabies!!!!!!!
1st FET Oct. 2011=BFP!!!!!!
Beta #1=1,398
Beta #2=8,032
Beta #3=14,955
11/10/11=1st u/s
WOW, two babies.........
August 10th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Lol very true
August 11th, 2011, 02:50 PM
This is what my embryologist friend said. She worked at Oregon Reproductive for 10 years...

Just looked at your pictures, adorable family!
In answer to your question, you can do the sample together before the egg collection, ask if you can even bring it from home (maybe you can be the last egg collection on the list and so a little bit later in the morning). The girls in the lab can prep the sample pretty soon after you get there and so it shouldn't be an issue. If you tell them hubby has trouble doing it at the clinic then they will work with you around that. You don't have to go into details but just say you'll bring it with you, that way you could always use a collection condom if necessary. Hope it helps!!! Exciting journey ahead.

PS You could freeze a sample but they usually do ICSI with all the frozen sperm.

That made me feel SO much better. So the plan now is to ask them if I can be the last collection of the day- eliminating any time constrictions

Collect at home, bring it in and get prepped for the ER!
*phew* big sigh of relief

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search