New Here - First IVF next month

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC by IVF LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 21st, 2011, 03:10 PM
Hi everyone. My husband and I have been TTC for 3 years now. We've spent most of the past year trying chlomid and then multiple IUI's. We're now getting ready for our first (and hopefully last) try at IVF. Meds have been ordered and delivered. Now we just wait. As I think about it more and more, I'm starting to panic! Is this normal? I've always had a huge fear of needles that I've overcome with the IUI bloodwork and injections. But now the progesterone! I don't know if I can do it. And thought of being sedated to have this done. I so badly want to be a mommy but I don't know if I can do this. I feel like, emotionally and mentally, I'm at a breaking point, which probably isn't the best state of mind going into this. Have others had this sense of panic?

Thanks for your thoughts/advice.
October 21st, 2011, 05:09 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Welcome, Tiffany! I'm Melissa, and DH and I have a 15-month-old little girl conceived through IVF/ICSI.

I hope the panic is normal, because I sure had it before my IVF IVF is a really overwhelming process, and it really helps to have others who know what you are going thru. In this same section, there is a thread for everyone doing IVF this month and next (September/October/November IVF). Please feel free to jump in with them...they are wonderful girls!

As far as the fear and panic...were you scared of Clomid? IUIs? Needles? You have overcome ALL of those things! I bet you have found strength that you never knew you had during this process, right? That inner strength and determination will also help you get through the progesterone shots and the IVF so you can have a baby in your arms

Good luck on your journey; I hope you stick around and join our wonderful group of gals!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

October 22nd, 2011, 01:21 AM
KatieBeth138's Avatar Veteran
Welcome Tiffany! Please come join us in the September/October/November IVF thread!
Having worries is totally normal. Talking with people who are going through the same thing really helps.
October 22nd, 2011, 05:25 PM
Veteran
Welcome Tiffany ;o)

My name is Alicia, and like KMH my DH and I are going through IVF/ICSI. I went through my first cycle in July - did succeed in getting pregnant, but sadly miscarried at about 7 weeks and had a D&C at about 9 weeks (don't mean to be a "debbie downer", but wanted to share that I, at least, DID get pregnant on the first try.)

We tried to conceive naturally for one year; in Jan of 2011 we started testing to see what was wrong, after a couple surgeries later we had to skip over IUI's and right to the IVF. I was naturally nervous about the process, but I did soooooo much reading and researching in that time we were trying, getting myself prepared, ya know?! I was very nervous about the needles, but the ones I had weren't too big - and they were all subcutaneous (not in the muscle like others); if you have any that are muscular shots, I have heard those can be painful, but soooo many girls on here have tricks to help with that. I might need them moving forward, who knows ;o) The anticipation of giving myself some of the shots was worse than the shot itself - NUTS!

But, alas, we got through it and it wasn't as bad as I thought; I think it's true, just when you think you have reached your limit on what you can handle, you have this strength you didn't know you had - I hope everything works well for you and you have a smooth first cycle.

DH and I are now waiting a couple cycles before we have a frozen transfer (no injections, just tablets for meds) - we have two frozen embryos left over from our last cycle. The time waiting in between is killing me - I feel like soooo much time is passing me by already. I am prepared to go through another fresh cycle again, if necessary - more injections, egg retrieval, etc. At least this time I know what to expect. With your experience already, with IUI's, you might just be okay ;o)

Again, welcome - it's not necessarily a place any of us want to be, but if we have to be here, at least we have each other! So many girls, groups on here are great. The girls in that Sept/Oct/Nov are wonderful - even though I prob won't transfer until December, they still invited me over, check in, chat or whatever I need....

Good luck - hope to hear from you soon =)
October 25th, 2011, 09:15 AM
ccartanddesign's Avatar With Faith
Hi and welcome.
I've had the PIO shots several times in my hip and it doesn't feel any different from any other shots. I think you'll be fine. You can also google tips for giving yourself painless IVF shots. I've seen a tip about using a heating pad to warm your hip and to warm the PIO shot.

I was nervous the first night that I had to start injections. DH was out of town and I knew I had to give myself the injection. But I did it and it was fine. You can do this!
Me-38 DH-38. TTC #1 since August 2009
2/2011 - IUI + Femara + HCG trigger and Progesterone injection BFN
3/2011 - IUI + Femara + HCG trigger and Progesterone injection
4/2011 - not doing IUI - DH out of town
5/2011 - IUI with Femara and HCG trigger. In hospital due to infection from IUI.
Took a break from all meds this summer.
9/2011: - Start with new RE - testing begins.
10/2011: - Hysteroscopy - determine tubes are blocked.
10/2011 : - Laparoscopy - clip blocked tubes, determine right ovary is adhered to pelvic wall, cut adhesions
11/24/2011: IVF cycle #1 begins. Start stims.
12/2/2011: End stims. HCG trigger.
12/4/2011: Egg Retrieval. 9 eggs, only 1 embryo.
12/7/2011: Transfer.
12/20/2011: IVF #1 failed.
1/16/2012: IVF #2 first scan
"Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible." Matt. 19:26
November 1st, 2011, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the advice! I'm still extremely nervous but I know I can do it. I just have to remember it's short term and hopefully the outcome will make it well worth it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search