Beta didn't double (pg mention)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KMH

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC by IVF LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 9th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi all. It's been a while since I've been here, and I feel very selfish coming back just today. But I could really use your help/experience/perspectives.

I'm presently doing a second FET cycle after negative results in a previous fresh cycle (one blast transferred) and frozen cycle (one blast transferred). This time around we transferred two excellent 5 day blasts on May 21. Began seeing positive results on HPTs on May 26. First beta was on June 4 (14dp5dt; so 19 dpo I guess?) - 1137. Second beta on June 6 (21 dpo?) was 2800 (can't recall exact number; I was too excited when she was telling me to remember except that it was 2800-something). My Dr. wanted a third beta on June 8 (23 dpo?), and so I had one done while out of town on business. The place where I had it done didn't fax my results to my home Dr. before their office closed yesterday (I'm in a different time zone) and so I didn't get the results until I went to pick them up myself this morning. Beta was only 4258, and so did not more than double as expected.

I'm extremely upset, and it definitely doesn't help that I'm still out of town, alone, and won't be able to speak to my regular nurse or doctor until Monday. I called the off-hours line at my regular office, but the on-call person for today was less than helpful. I do have an appointment already for another beta tomorrow morning (I fly home this afternoon), but even once I get those results tomorrow afternoon I'll just be speaking to the on-call person about them.

Can anyone provide an feedback or experience that would give me an idea about what might be happening? It seems to me there are three possibilities: 1) I'm losing this pregnancy, 2) I had two embryos implant but lost one, 3) things are ok and this beta is just weird. I'm afraid not just because of the beta, but because the lack of doubling seems to match the loss/decrease in symptoms as well. TMI, but I was having a ton of bloating, extremely sore breasts, constipation, etc. over the past two weeks, and all that has let up over the past 2 days. I know that only more time and more tests are going to give me the answers I'm looking for... but I feel like I'm losing whatever it is I might have had, and I can't stop crying. I could use some feedback from people who have been there, done that, and understand this stuff.

Thank you very much for any feedback. I really appreciate it.

Last edited by chickadee; June 15th, 2012 at 09:32 AM.
June 9th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
By the way, and I'm not sure if this will make sense to anyone or not... but I didn't return after my first (fresh) IVF cycle failed because I just couldn't handle thinking about it all the time. I truly thought at the start that it would work, I was so invested in it and then devastated when it didn't result in a pregnancy (I'm sure many here know that feeling). When we began the FET right away after that I wanted to try to take it a little easier, think about it less, talk about it less... relax more in the hope that it would help things work better. At this point I'm not sure what helps or doesn't; I just know that this process has turned me into someone who is often not able to keep it all together mentally.
June 9th, 2012, 10:24 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
(((HUGS))) No apologies necessary...we all have to do what is best to keep ourselves as sane as possible, and sometimes that means taking a step back for a while. You are always welcome here no matter what the circumstances

I know how scary betas can be when the results aren't what you expect...it is a living hell to be in limbo, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this!

I think your 3 scenarios are absolutely reasonable and I agree that those are likely your options at this point. BUT I have to disagree slightly about your #3. When your betas start getting up there a bit, it takes longer than 48 hours for them to double (see this chart HCG - Human Chorionic Gonadotrophin Level Doubling Time Calculator - Preconception). You are in the range of your betas doubling every 72-96 hours, so your number sounds perfectly reasonable. Also, I found that my symptoms would come and go throughout the first trimester, so your loss of symptoms might not mean a thing.

I wish I had concrete answers for you, but only time will tell. Based on those betas though, I think you have a very good chance that everything is a-okay! Hopefully they'll schedule you for an ultrasound soon so you can get a more clear picture of what is happening in there. Please keep us updated...I'm sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

June 10th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
KMH, thank you SO much. I read your response from my phone while sitting in the airport yesterday, and that and the link you gave me really made me feel so much better and gave me hope that things might still be ok. Without that, I would have been a mess all night and all day today as I waited for the results of this morning's beta. You're so right about this being an absolutely torturous process that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

But in fact, the beta this morning and the phone call from today's nurse this afternoon did bring good news. My beta was 7829, and the nurse told me that at this point they are looking for a 60% increase in 48 hours, NOT doubling. So exactly right on with what your link had said, KMH. That still means my Friday number was a little low (a 50% increase rather than 60%), but today we seem to be back on track. Today's nurse told me that my regular nurse will schedule my first ultrasound when we speak tomorrow, yay! Now we just need to see that sac and fetal pole and heartbeat... fingers crossed!

Thank you again so much, KHM. I really, really appreciate your post. It made me feel so much better yesterday.
June 10th, 2012, 01:46 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Wahoo! I'm so thrilled for you!! Please keep us updated, and I hope you have a very healthy little bean in there

Melissa & DH

June 12th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm hoping so too! Still having SO much cramping, and it scares me even though the nurse said the progesterone injections will cause it/and or make it worse than usual.

First ultrasound is scheduled for Friday morning, so hopefully I'll be breathing a little easier after that!
June 15th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just wanted to post an update: Ultrasound this morning showed two sacs and two heartbeats!! Both measuring 6 weeks 0 days. I was just so relieved to know there was a heartbeat, I reacted more to that than to the news of there being two of them!! But now I am excited and surprised and overwhelmed in a mostly good way. I just kind of can't believe it. We have another u/s scheduled for next Friday, and hopefully those little hearts will be beating even faster then.

Thank you again KMH for calming me down when I was seriously freaking out last weekend. I was really not coping well, and your words helped so much. I really appreciate it.
June 15th, 2012, 09:41 AM
hearts.0nfire's Avatar STPR lover
I didn't see this until now but congrats on twins!!!!

June 15th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joliving4Jesus's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Joliving4Jesus Send a message via Yahoo to Joliving4Jesus
Awesome news! Congratulations on your twins!

June 15th, 2012, 11:13 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Ack! I am just now seeing this as well I'm so thrilled for you...I will never, EVER get tired of hearing these success stories

Congrats and welcome to the Twin Mamas club! Obviously I don't have experience with twins outside of the womb yet, but I have collected lots of good info and have read lots of books, so PM me if you need anything or want recommendations. It can be overwhelming to think about, but just take small steps...there's lots of time to prepare!

Twenty fingers, twenty toes
Every day our love grows and grows
Four little hands, four little feet
Two precious hearts, make our life complete
hearts.0nfire likes this.

Melissa & DH

June 16th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you so much, hearts.0nfire, Joliving4Jesus and KMH! KMH, that poem is adorable. And yes, I'd love ANY information you want to pass my way! I kind of spend most of the day online yesterday just trying to read a bunch of things... and I am now completely overwhelmed, and very nervous about complications and pre-term labor & delivery. It was easy to overlook those realities when we were transferring two embryos and the chance of both implanting seemed so remote, but it's pretty scary to read about them now! But anyway, yes, I'll definitely take any information I can get to start getting me ready for some of this. Thank you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search