July/August IVF/FET

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree28Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC by IVF LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 21st, 2012, 06:53 AM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
I thought I'd start a thread for those of us doing IVF or FET in July or August.

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
June 21st, 2012, 01:17 PM
hearts.0nfire's Avatar STPR lover
I can't believe it's going to be July in like 10 days. Also after seeing your post about when you're doing retrieval we'll definitely be close in dates. The donor is doing her retrieval between the 10th-13th and so the transfer will be 15th-18th.

June 21st, 2012, 08:00 PM
Tracy87's Avatar Super Mommy
Looks like I'll be a week behind. They have my retrieval tentatively scheduled for the 23rd. They said it could go up to five days either way depending on how I respond. Then transfer 3 days later.

What kind of questions have you guys made sure to ask? I've started a list for my appoinment next week, but I'm sure I'm missing something important.
TTC #1 since 4/2010

LAP Feb 2012
Stage 3 Endo Removed
July 2012 First IVF Cycle

June 22nd, 2012, 06:13 AM
I asked a lot about the medications at my last appt (mostly b/c it was the injections class). We asked about timing issues. Let me think about what else we asked!

I did my first lupron injection this morning...I survived. It was a lot like the ovidrel shot I did with IUIs. I made the mistake of watching the HCG and Progesterone injection videos though....those needles are HUGE and injected in your butt muscle. I'm nervous about those!! It says to "pull the syringe back to make sure there is no blood...."....ummmmmm.....

June 22nd, 2012, 07:44 AM
Yey! One shot down! Yea, I've already been googling the best ways to help with some of those larger shots. I've heard it helps with the sting if you ice the area beforehand. Might be worth trying if they start to hurt bad.
TTC #1 since 4/2010

LAP Feb 2012
Stage 3 Endo Removed

June 22nd, 2012, 08:24 AM
That's a good suggestion w/ the ice. My hubby laughed when they said you give it like you are shooting a dart. What?!? If he stabs that huge needle in me as hard as he throws a dart...I'm stabbing him with it afterward.

June 22nd, 2012, 09:13 AM
The main thing I asked about was with medications. How to properly do the injections, when do I take what, etc. Since i'm not doing a retrieval I know it's a bit different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSunshine View Post
I did my first lupron injection this morning...I survived. It was a lot like the ovidrel shot I did with IUIs. I made the mistake of watching the HCG and Progesterone injection videos though....those needles are HUGE and injected in your butt muscle. I'm nervous about those!! It says to "pull the syringe back to make sure there is no blood...."....ummmmmm.....

Yay for 1 shot down! Dh and I watched the progesterone injection videos too. I don't know how some women can do it on their own since it scares me. Today will be my 5th shot. I've done 2 and dh has done 2 and this is what he did to me yesterday. It doesn't hurt, but it looks so ugly!

June 22nd, 2012, 01:36 PM
Yikes! Is that your leg? Which med is that?

They told me when I do the progesterone shots, I can't do it myself b/c of the location it goes in. I'm planning on doing all of the stomach shots myself.

June 22nd, 2012, 01:49 PM
Yeah it's my leg and is lupron 20u. I'm having dh do my progesterone injections. I think the only reason he's been doing the lupron ones is so he can prepare himself for the others. With your ivf cycle which meds are you taking?

June 22nd, 2012, 02:10 PM
Ouch! I bet dh feels bad after that! Hopefully you win't get too many more of those!

I'm definitely planning to take lots of notes about the meds. I might even use the recording feature on my phone to record the whole class. I'm not sure yet.

I won't know what drugs they're going to have me on until my appointment on Wednesday. That's when I have to pay up, get my blood tests run, learn how to do the injections, and any other ivf related stuff they're going to tell me about. Including my protocol. I'm definitely getting excited!!
TTC #1 since 4/2010

LAP Feb 2012
Stage 3 Endo Removed

June 22nd, 2012, 06:56 PM
I'm on Lupron & bcp now, in 2 weeks I start follistim and menopur (& continue lupron), then I'll do the hCG when it's time. After the transfer I'll be doing the progesterone shots.

Maybe I should have my hubby practice a little with these injections (since the needle is so much skinnier). That's a good thought!!

June 22nd, 2012, 07:02 PM
I really don't get this. So the bruise I posted doesn't hurt. The only thing it ever did during the actual injection was bleed afterwards. DH was too nervous to do it today so I did which it didn't hurt. Now it's bumped up and hurts like crazy with no bruise. I really don't understand why it even bleed/bruised in the first place.

Also since I was never really explained this why are we suppose to take antibiotics after the transfer?

June 22nd, 2012, 10:01 PM
I'm not exactly sure about the antibiotics, but I've heard it something to do with preventing infection that could be introduced during transfer. I could be wrong though.

I can't wait to find out what they're going to but me on. I'm ready to be off the bcp!
TTC #1 since 4/2010

LAP Feb 2012
Stage 3 Endo Removed

June 23rd, 2012, 02:44 PM
I can't wait for you to post your schedule on Wednesday. I was talking to my couple and I wish it was 2 weeks into the future already so I could be heading out there and doing the transfer.

The only thing i'm worried about is the sharps box. I don't know if a pharmacy/dr. office will let me dispose of what's in there before I leave so it will be easier to travel with it. I'm already freaked out they are going to stop me since i'll have needles in my bag.

June 23rd, 2012, 03:52 PM
Oh yea! I wouldn't have thought of the needles while traveling! I'm sure TSA has some kind of policy in place for that. Maybe check their website before you head out and see what it says.

I also can't wait to get my schedule on Wednesday, it will definitely make this seem more real. I suspect the freaking out will commence shortly after!
TTC #1 since 4/2010

LAP Feb 2012
Stage 3 Endo Removed

June 24th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearts.0nfire View Post
I really don't get this. So the bruise I posted doesn't hurt. The only thing it ever did during the actual injection was bleed afterwards. DH was too nervous to do it today so I did which it didn't hurt. Now it's bumped up and hurts like crazy with no bruise. I really don't understand why it even bleed/bruised in the first place.

Also since I was never really explained this why are we suppose to take antibiotics after the transfer?
I ended up getting a bruise on yesterday's injection...about the size of a dime. It bled too when I pulled it out. I was in a hurry, so maybe I did it too fast? I can't see any of the other marks from any of the other ones though.

I think Tracy is right about the antibiotics.

I am traveling in late July/early August and I didn't think about the sharps container! I know I have to bring the meds (I have a note already from my dr that I guess I'll need to show). I think I'll just keep the sharps container in my checked baggage? Errr...or maybe I'll call or check their website and see what they suggest...

June 24th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSunshine View Post
I am traveling in late July/early August and I didn't think about the sharps container! I know I have to bring the meds (I have a note already from my dr that I guess I'll need to show). I think I'll just keep the sharps container in my checked baggage? Errr...or maybe I'll call or check their website and see what they suggest...

This is the answer that's posted on the TSA website: "All medications in any form or type (for instance, pills, injectables, or homeopathic) and associated supplies (syringes, Sharps disposal container, pre-loaded syringes, jet injectors, pens, infusers, etc.) are allowed through the security checkpoint once they have been screened. Atropens, an auto-injection system that can help treat many emergency conditions (low heart rate, breathing problems, and excess saliva related to insecticide, nerve gas or mushroom poisoning) are also allowed."

So you can bring it with. If you go on the TSA it's under "hidden disabilities" in the for travelers section. Even though I don't want to pay 50 dollars i'm thinking of just going ahead and putting everything I won't need that night into checked baggage. Hopefully the agency will reimburse me the 50. I'm so excited that in 2 weeks i'll be in California!

June 24th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Great info! Thanks for checking it out.

Eeek....two weeks! Crazy! It'll come fast.

June 24th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Wow, two weeks is so soon!! Hope your shots are continuing to go well!
TTC #1 since 4/2010

LAP Feb 2012
Stage 3 Endo Removed

June 25th, 2012, 05:56 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I flew to/from my FET with all my meds/syringes/etc. and was never questioned. I just made sure that I had the prescription form for all the meds and I put it all in a clear plastic make-up bag. When going through the security checkpoint, I always took it out of my bag and into a separate bin and notified the TSA person that I was flying with liquid meds and syringes. They always just nodded and sent me thru...not a problem at all!

I did not take the sharps container with me. I just put my used syringes in a little cosmetic bag and put the in the sharps container when I got back home.

I would suggest if you are putting anything in your checked baggage, just make sure you have extra with you in your carry-on to last you a few days. If something awful happens and your baggage is lost, you need to have enough meds with you to last until you can get more. Good luck!
LilSunshine and hearts.0nfire like this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search