Does ivf help to conceive a healthy baby?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC by IVF LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 6th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Hi,
I am new to this board. I posted a few months ago in the miscarriage boards after my first loss, but shortly after became pregnant again. I also posted this same thread in the older moms boards.

I am so glad to have a virtual community to turn to (I read these board a lot, but have posted only a little).

So, I am 43 now and conceived twice this year, both ending in miscarriage at 9 1/2 an 8 1/2 weeks. I am waiting for AF, as I miscarried 3 weeks ago. This week I went for a preliminary visit at a renown fertility clinic in NY. They saw follicles waiting to be released, in 48 or so hours, they said. I also had EWCM around that time. We, of course, BDed, though I felt like I was sabotaging the ivf that could make a healthy baby, as I have been miscarrying...

My questions are manifold:
1. Will ivf help my chances of not miscarrying again? I don't understand how it might be any healthier than our embryos that implant and survive, only to not have a heartbeat later.
2. Since I can get pregnant, should I continue to just try, hoping to get a good egg?
I am doing acupuncture and herbs and living healthy (though I have been a bit of a drown my sorrows hedonist in the weeks since miscarriage)

The price of ivf is certainly prohibitive, and I am also looking into an "ivf vacation" where you travel to Cancun for instance, and the costs are 1/3 of US prices, but my partner has huge reservations about medical tourism.

Does anyone know about that?

Thank you. I wish baby dust to you all!
October 9th, 2012, 09:08 PM
The Wife's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to The Wife
IVF can help your chances of not miscarrying. It helped me. During the process they are able to examine your eggs and see if they are 'good' (for lack of a better word) or not. If they are good, they take those along with the good sperm and can do ICSI, in which they implant one good sperm into the egg -- creating a healthy / strong embryo -- they wait a few days to see how they progress/grow, and put the strongest ones back in.

I could get pregnant, however, I could not keep my pregnancies going past a certain point. In addition to IVF, I also needed progesterone supplements. My progesterone was always low during the early stages of pregnancy, causing me to miscarry.

I did not have success with 4 IUI's .. but my first IVF cycle was a success, and I wound up carrying twins for 38 weeks - born healthy without complications :-)

I don't know anything about 'medical tourism'...

Baby dust for you too!!

Stop by, we'd love to have you!
--> www.BECAUSEOFMATCH.com

November 18th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Hi Adriessa, my understanding of IVF is that it gives the best chances of a successful pregnancy, not explicitly a healthy baby. Although during the IVF process there is a selection of the "best" eggs, but that selection is not really correlated with baby health down the line. That being said, there is a process called PGD (What is PGD?) that examines the eggs for certain types of genetic disorders, and as such can select the egg that will be the healthiest in a genetic sense.

Not sure if that helps.

Best of luck.

Last edited by nqhappy1; November 18th, 2012 at 04:09 PM.

Tags
ivf , ivf vacation , misscarriage , over 40

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search