New and Nervous

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree20Likes
  • 3 Post By cassthomas852
  • 1 Post By L Marie
  • 1 Post By kayakr
  • 2 Post By L Marie
  • 1 Post By Djmach14
  • 1 Post By Djmach14
  • 1 Post By cassthomas852
  • 2 Post By cassthomas852
  • 3 Post By MamaLeah713
  • 1 Post By onlybygrace
  • 2 Post By J and K
  • 1 Post By L Marie
  • 1 Post By J and K

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC by IVF LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 30th, 2013, 02:24 PM
L Marie's Avatar Member
Hi!

So as the title suggests...I am a newbie, and a little nervous, for both the adventure (IVF) ahead of me, and to be online expressing my deepest feelings. Obviously, for all of us this is a very sensitive area in our lives. <3 I want to say; after reading through threads and posts, I am so happy to have joined and would like to make my first post. *Please bear with me, I have never socialized on message boards before, so my knowledge of abbreviations is rusty at best. *

I am a 34 year old who has always dreamed of being a Mom someday. I met the love of my life 9 years ago, and knew immediately that I wanted him to be the father of my children. One problem: he had had a vasectomy a few years prior. So by the time we had saved money for the reversal, our success rates had dropped, but we went through with it and it turns out the doctor was only able to reattach one side, and that, combined with the amount of time between vasectomy and reversal made for a slight chance of success, but we made the best of it and tried not to stress about it. A year passed and we hadn't gotten pregnant, so we went ahead with a sperm count. Nothing. A big fat zero. We were advised to look into IVF.

So now to present day (skipping all of the emotional battles and depression following that news), we are working on financing for an IVF cycle and sperm retrieval using either PESA or MESA. Almost there, we are taking out a line of credit on our house. Looking forward to beginning this journey and seeking some female companions to share experiences with. I am looking for any advice as to how to approach and prepare for IVF (emotionally and physically) and maybe an idea of a timeline between the first consultation and when the final transfer takes place...we'd like to start as soon as possible, just wondering what experiences others have had.

Thanks for reading my lengthy post!!!
January 30th, 2013, 04:35 PM
cassthomas852's Avatar Veteran
Welcome L Marie! You have come to the right place for support and assistance as you proceed with IVF. I am sorry that you have to be here, but we are all in this together! I know for myself, I am going to Shady Grove Fertility and they have a lot if resources and videos online that explain the process and what to expect. In fact, the even have a "inside the IVF lab" video that is awesome!

The initial process and consultation with your clinic can be a bit nerve racking. Don't sweat it though... You will be fine! During your consult, your RE (reproductive endocrinologist) and nurse should explain everything. The first step is to complete all your pre-tests (blood work for disease testing and genetic disorders, as well as Day 3 blood work and ultrasound. Your RE will have you come in on Day 3 of your period for this. Everybody's IVF process differs, so I will explain mine. This too, is my first attempt. My RE had me take birth control pills (BCP) for about 30-31 days. I did not take the "sugar pills" because they didn't want me to have a period. This will help build up the uterine lining. My next appt is this Saturday for bloodwork (BW) and ultrasound (US) to make sure hormone levels and uterine lining are good. If so, I start the injections on Monday. The injections are hormones, to stimulate the ovaries to produce as many follicles as possible. Usually the injections are about 10-12 days, twice a day. They are self-injections so you can do them at home. Once the follicles reach a good size, usually around 18mm - 20mm, you will be scheduled for your retrieval. For mine, it is tentative for Feb 16. They put you to sleep for about 10 minutes to retrieve the eggs. They will then take the sperm and mix them together in a Petri dish, or use a procedure called ICSI. That is where the take one single sperm and inject it into the egg. Then they watch the cell grow in the lab for 3-5 days. Once they determine the cells are dividing properly, you will be scheduled for the transfer. This is usually 3-5 days after retrieval. 24 hours of bed rest following the transfer. You have the option to freeze any left over embryos for future use (at an additional cost). After the transfer, you wait two weeks and then you can do a home pregnancy test (HPT). While you are on the medications (injections) you will have frequent visits to your RE for monitoring.

Oh, and I almost forgot... Before you do any of this, you will schedule a mock transfer (mt). This is a quick simple procedure, sort of a test run before the real transfer. They do this to measure the size, depth, and shape of the uterus before they transfer those delicate embryos! Don't worry, it doesn't hurt... Just very mild cramping after.

I hope this helps and look forward to chatting with you more! Here's to a BFP (big fat positive) real soon!!!
*Leah*, MamaLeah713 and L Marie like this.
January 31st, 2013, 06:36 AM
L Marie's Avatar Member
Thank you SO much! Very informative! I will check out the video and I wish you the best of luck on Saturday, hope it goes well! <3 And yes, we'll keep in touch, also wishing you a BFP!! (I'll catch on eventually )
cassthomas852 likes this.
January 31st, 2013, 06:19 PM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
HI Marie! Glad you are going to be hanging out with us. Us girls need support for girls going through the same stuff.
Have you checked out the next thread down? It is IVF/FET/Jan/Feb....it's all us girls going through it right now!

Also just the regular trying to conceive with medical assistance is where most of us hang out. Go down and introduce yourself - I am afraid others wont see your post here.

Sorry you have to be here but we are all in this together and who else understands better then us? Oh yea - my name is Gretchen
L Marie likes this.
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13
February 4th, 2013, 08:02 AM
L Marie's Avatar Member
Thanks, Gretchen! I have been reading along, and I am finding this all very helpful , it so nice to have found a spot where everyone can be supportive and and caring to each other while going through so much. <3
*Leah* and kayakr like this.
February 5th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Hi! My name is Debbie. You came to the right place. I never thought I would join a forum before but I was a nervous wreck going through my IVF that I decided to take a chance. I'm so glad I did. Everyone on here is so informative and supportive. It calmed my nerves and answered alot of questions I was having. It was nice to know other people were going through and feeling the same thing I was.
I started taking BCP late December and then started my first injection Lupron in the middle of January. I started a second injection Gonal-F on January 23rd. I just had my retrieval yesterday. They retrieved 14 eggs and out of those 14, 8 fertilized. I'm now waiting for my transfer which I think will be Friday or saturday. Then I wait 12 days to see my dr to find out if I'm pregnant.
I was scared of the whole process at first but now having gone through it really was t so bad and trust me, coming from someone who is TERRIFIED of needles, they weren't so bad
Hope this this helps! Good luck with everything!!!
L Marie likes this.
February 6th, 2013, 04:34 AM
L Marie's Avatar Member
Thanks Debbie! I do feel like joining was a great idea, after reading through the clinic's website (over and over) and watching videos....I really just wanted to know the real side of it all and connect with women who have actually experienced it.

Thanks for giving a good time line. Is there a lot involved with the consultation? Or is that fairly quick process? Where there many side affects from the shots? Should I plan for taking time off for retrieval and transfer? (I am a hairdresser, so not very strenuous, but on my feet for hours.) Sorry for the twenty questions!

8 eggs! that is great! How many will they transfer? I wish you all the best for your transfer!!!
February 6th, 2013, 05:13 AM
The consultation was quick for me.. Just a blood test and a ultrasound where they filled uterus with water and measured it. The only side effects from the shots were feeling very tired, a few headaches and hungry!! Lol I ate constantly. You probably will have to take a couple data off. I took off Monday for my retrieval and went back to work on Tuesday. I felt fine just some soreness. But I am a teacher and in feet alot also so by the time I hit home I wasn't feeling that great, probably should've taken another day off. For the transfer, they want me in bed rest for two days.. Hope this helps!
L Marie likes this.
February 6th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Hi Marie! The consultation is usually pretty quick. The consult is so the doctor can get to know you and review your medical history. I was lucky with mine b/c I was on Day 3 of my period, so I was able to get all the Day 3 testing done. The next step after that is a mock transfer, which is what Debbie discussed above. They do blood work and ultrasound and fill the uterus with a saline solution to take some measurements. That usually isn't done on the same day as the consult, but all clinics are different. You will need to take a day or two off for the retrieval. Certainly a day, but depending on how your body responds to being "knocked out" from the procedure. They don't use anesthesia, they use a drug called propofol (not sure of spelling). It just puts you to sleep for about 10-15 minutes. It's the same drug that Michael Jackson overdosed on. Well, that's what my clinic is using. My RE instructed me to have 24 hours of bed rest after the transfer. Hope this helps!
L Marie likes this.
February 6th, 2013, 11:06 AM
L Marie's Avatar Member
It sure has helped so much to join this site! I am here rooting for you girls! And I am feeling so much more at home with all of this info now, you girls really have helped out. Very appreciative for it It really makes a difference to hear it from the women going through it and not only getting the cold hard facts that the clinics give.
February 6th, 2013, 02:17 PM
*Leah*'s Avatar TTC the newfashioned way
Welcome! A lot of the girls have given you a lot of good info. We're all here for you.

I'm Leah, I did IVF 2 1/2 years ago for my daughter. The hardest part was deciding to do it.

We had a m/c in May and we haven't gotten pg since, so we are going to be setting up another IVF in May/June....I just sent over to the clinic the other day, some reports and info...so waiting to hear back from them.

Best of luck to you. When will you be cycling?
TTC#1 since 10/2006, 5 failed IUI's, 1st IVF successful BFP!! Baby Girl 2/2011
TTC#2 BFP 9/2011, Natural Pregnancy! 3/30/12 M/C'd on 5/15/12 (9 weeks)
IVF#2 BFP 4/2013 M/C 6/2/13 (8 weeks)
FET #1 BFP 8/2013 - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #3 - Retrieval Oct 31st, Txferred 2 on 5d - a Blast and Morula - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #4 - ER scheduled for 4/4/14 retrieved 4 eggs. Txferred 3 embryos 4/7/14!....BFN...NOW WHAT?
Check out my NEWBORN Hats and Baby Items
@ http://www.facebook.com/ThePaisleyPerle

February 7th, 2013, 10:30 AM
L Marie's Avatar Member
Thank you Leah! The decision can be quite difficult, it was IVF or adoption, and my husband was set on trying for our own, both options are so expensive! I can understand IVF being so expensive, but not so much the adoption... :/
We have just set up and gotten the financial part of it taken care of this week, we were given a line of credit on our house!! The financial part was what was worrying/hindering us the most so far, now to make the call! I will be beginning my cycle in about 2 weeks, I'm fairly regular, should I plan my consult around that? Thanks again!
February 7th, 2013, 05:27 PM
I would try to get your consult in before that. Then when you start your cycle, you will be ready to do the Day 3 work up. There may be some things your RE wants before you actually start. Good luck!
*Leah* and L Marie like this.

Me- 32
DH - 35
TTC for over 6 years.

Jan 2013 - IVF #1
May 2013 - FET #1

6/7/13 - First ultrasound - Twins!
12/20/13 - Kayden and Caleb were born at 34 weeks!

February 9th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Regular
Hi, my name is also Leah and I just wanted to jump in and say hello. My DH (darling husband) and I have been trying for over a year after his VR (vas-reversal). lol, I'm still learning the acronyms and lingo myself. This is also my first experience with boards and forums. I have found a lot of caring and helpful women on here.
We just had an unsuccesful IUI cycle and are moving forward with IVF. My CD3 is actually Sunday but they are having me come in Monday for the CD3 blood work and ultrasound.
I'm glad I have this site to come to. We'd rather not tell anyone. Only my sister knows and 1 friend because she is having fertility issues and is wanting to look into her options.
As far as time off for retrieval my RE suggests 2 days but for post transfer he suggests 3 days of bed rest. He has a 70% success rate for women 35 or under.
I feel it could only help and considering the financial and emotional investment it probably warrants 3 days of bedrest.
Best wishes for you and I hope you get your BFP soon!
*Leah*, cassthomas852 and L Marie like this.
February 11th, 2013, 05:08 PM
onlybygrace's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Marie! And welcome!

Glad you joined this board and that you're finding useful info here.

Wishing you all the best for your IVF cycle!
L Marie likes this.

TTC our 1st since June 2011

6 cycles of Clomid, 2 cycles injectables, 5 IUIs: ALL BFNs

IVF #1: Starting 5th March 2013 - Praying for my 1st ever BFP!

February 14th, 2013, 10:26 AM
J and K's Avatar Kim
Hi Marie! My name is Kim, I'm new to all of this as well. I was a little nervous to join any forums, but glad I did. It has relieved some stress about the process to hear how other women have handled everything and see how different all the protocols are. I'm 28 and hubby is 32, we have been ttc for just over 2 years. We had our initial consult with the RE in December, a surgery in January, and just started the first round of IVF.
I started with Lupron injections yesterday, which will make my period start. Hopefully around the 25th I will start the stim drug which is Menopur for around 9 days. Hoping for egg retrieval around March 8.
Good luck with everything!
*Leah* and L Marie like this.
February 14th, 2013, 12:04 PM
L Marie's Avatar Member
Thanks Kim! I wish you all the best!!! We will be meeting with the RE on March 14th for our very first appointment, getting even more nervous...I mean excited! Haha
*Leah* likes this.
February 14th, 2013, 05:51 PM
J and K's Avatar Kim
Thanks Marie! Good luck to you as well! I think you will find it a little bit of a relief to finally go see the RE, it means you are moving in the right direction. Don't be too nervous, it isn't bad at all. My RE talked really fast and gave us a lot of information in a very short amount of time; I took his information and just researched. If you have questions going in I would suggest you write them down and take them in with you so your don't forget once the Doc starts talking.

Good Luck!
L Marie likes this.
February 15th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Welcome Kim! You came to the right place for information and support! I just completed my stims, and was on Menopur and Bravelle for 10 days... It was a bit rough towards the end, but it will be worth it at the very end! I just took my Lupron trigger shot last night and my egg retrieval is tomorrow at 12:15. Good luck to you and can't wait to follow your journey!

Me- 32
DH - 35
TTC for over 6 years.

Jan 2013 - IVF #1
May 2013 - FET #1

6/7/13 - First ultrasound - Twins!
12/20/13 - Kayden and Caleb were born at 34 weeks!

February 21st, 2013, 08:48 PM
J and K's Avatar Kim
Hey Cassandra, how are things going for you? Sorry for the distant reply. How many eggs did you transfer? When will you find out more?

Just realized I could look at your profile and saw that you had transfer today. Congrats, I hope everything went well!
Unexplained Infertility
TTC since January 2011
Clomid February 2012- May 2012
Laproscopy and Hysteroscopy Jan 2013 (didn't find anything)
IVF Feb/March 2013 25 eggs retireved, ICSI 18 fertilized, 3 transferred on day 3, 4 frozen...

Beta #1 48.2 14dp3dt
Beta #2 457 18dp3dt

Paige Addison born 11/12/13

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search