Our last option IVF! I have a few questions... help please =)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bbm0128
  • 1 Post By soapyseltzer

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC by IVF LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 17th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Hi Ladies!

My husband and I are considering IVF next year if we don't get pregnant this year. We have not yet had our IVF consultation...
I had a few questions maybe you ladies can answer for me...
My husband and i are 28 years old... IF we turn to IVF next year, we will be 29 years old. Our only fertility issue is my husband's low sperm count & low motility. All my tests, HCG's are normal.

1. Do they retrieve as many eggs as possible?
2. How many do they insert back into the uterus?
3. If it works the first time, and we still have some eggs left, can we save them for later use?
4. And if we have left over eggs that we want to use for later use, do we have to pay for IVF all over again?

I know we will have our IVF consultation later and the Dr. can answer these questions, but just thought i'd ask here too =)

Thank you!
March 17th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetTreat View Post
Hi Ladies!

My husband and I are considering IVF next year if we don't get pregnant this year. We have not yet had our IVF consultation...
I had a few questions maybe you ladies can answer for me...
My husband and i are 28 years old... IF we turn to IVF next year, we will be 29 years old. Our only fertility issue is my husband's low sperm count & low motility. All my tests, HCG's are normal.

1. Do they retrieve as many eggs as possible?
2. How many do they insert back into the uterus?
3. If it works the first time, and we still have some eggs left, can we save them for later use?
4. And if we have left over eggs that we want to use for later use, do we have to pay for IVF all over again?

I know we will have our IVF consultation later and the Dr. can answer these questions, but just thought i'd ask here too =)

Thank you!
Hi SweetTreat!
I'll try to answer your questions - my husband and I are in our first cycle of IVF (retrieval on Tuesday so I've just experienced all of these questions!)
1) Depending on your clinic, you will be put on various forms of stims (like Menopur or Gonal-F) to stimulate your ovaries into producing more eggs. At my clinic, they suppressed my period so to control when I ovulated by using BCP & later, Lupron. In my case, those last for about 2 weeks and then they do the retrieval. They want to retrieve as many eggs as you produce with the stims. In my case, it'll be about 8 eggs (we hope!) but in others it can be as many as in the 20s.
2) That depends on you, your DH, & the doctor. In our case, it depends on my size (no more than 2), and what the quality of the embryo's are.
3) You can save embryos for later use... this is called a Frozen Embryo Transfer or FET.
4) Generally, (at least at my clinic), the price of a FET is considerably cheaper than an IVF cycle... about $4500 vs $12,500 (not including medications). Fortunately most of my medications were covered by insurance. Not a lot of insurances cover infertility treatments or ART's, but some do. You'll want to check with them too - but your clinic will probably check for you. I called anyway.

Keep in mind that my experience is limited (1st cycle) and some of these other ladies can probably answer in more detail, but have you thought about doing an IUI cycle? This is generally cheaper than IVF & less involved. If your tubes aren't blocked, you might want to think about trying that.

Good luck!
Brooke
*Leah* likes this.

Brooke: 31, blocked tubes, diminished ovarian reserve, weak eggs
DH: 35, all cleared
TTC: January 2012

July 2012 - HSG exam; blocked tubes
July 2012 - possible male infertility due to chemo & radiation treatment
August 2012: DH had his testosterone levels checked; low, will recheck in December
December 2012 - test for DH's sperm ** SWIMMERS, YAY!**
February 2013 - IVF consult
February 25, 2013 - sonohysterogram & mock transfer ** ALL CLEARED FOR IVF PROCEDURE **
March 6, 2013 - bloodwork & u/s, start Lupron injections - 10units
March 8, 2013 - start Gonal-F injections (300u), lupron (10units)
March 11, 2013 - bloodwork, u/s, Estrogen: 220, Lupron, Gonal-F, Menopur
March 13, 2013 - Left ovary (3 follicles), Right ovary (5 follicles), bloodwork, u/s, Estrogen: 519, Lupron, Gonal -F, Menopur
March 15, 2013 - bloodwork, u/s, Estrogen: 1305, follies growing, Lupron, Gonal - F, Menopur
March 19, 2013 - Retrieval!! 8 eggs
March 24, 2013 - Embryo Transfer; put back 3 embryos (1 blastocyst stage, 2 morula stage)

April 3, 2013 - beta #1 - 101!
April 5, 2013 - beta #2 - 307!
April 8, 2013 - beta #3 - 1,387!!
April 10, 2013 - beta #4 - 3104! - 1st u/s Friday!

March 17th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbm0128 View Post
Hi SweetTreat!
I'll try to answer your questions - my husband and I are in our first cycle of IVF (retrieval on Tuesday so I've just experienced all of these questions!)
1) Depending on your clinic, you will be put on various forms of stims (like Menopur or Gonal-F) to stimulate your ovaries into producing more eggs. At my clinic, they suppressed my period so to control when I ovulated by using BCP & later, Lupron. In my case, those last for about 2 weeks and then they do the retrieval. They want to retrieve as many eggs as you produce with the stims. In my case, it'll be about 8 eggs (we hope!) but in others it can be as many as in the 20s.
2) That depends on you, your DH, & the doctor. In our case, it depends on my size (no more than 2), and what the quality of the embryo's are.
3) You can save embryos for later use... this is called a Frozen Embryo Transfer or FET.
4) Generally, (at least at my clinic), the price of a FET is considerably cheaper than an IVF cycle... about $4500 vs $12,500 (not including medications). Fortunately most of my medications were covered by insurance. Not a lot of insurances cover infertility treatments or ART's, but some do. You'll want to check with them too - but your clinic will probably check for you. I called anyway.

Keep in mind that my experience is limited (1st cycle) and some of these other ladies can probably answer in more detail, but have you thought about doing an IUI cycle? This is generally cheaper than IVF & less involved. If your tubes aren't blocked, you might want to think about trying that.

Good luck!
Brooke

Thank you so much for the reply!
Our Dr. said our best option is IVF. and the IUI will most likely be useless. My tubes are fine, all my tests are normal. The only issue is my husband's low sperm count & low motility.
March 17th, 2013, 03:27 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Welcome! I'm Melissa, and my DH and I have 3 IVF babies (1 from our fresh cycle, and twins from our FET).

1. Do they retrieve as many eggs as possible? Generally, yes. There are minimal-stimulation IVF protocols where they just try to get one or two eggs, but in a traditional IVF you get as many as you can. Like Brooke said, you'll do injections of medication to stimulate your body to produce as many eggs as possible, and then during the retrieval procedure the doctor will harvest them. You will likely be quite uncomfortable by the time of the retrieval because your ovaries will be full of lots of eggs...and you might look 3 months pregnant from the bloat. Comfy, elastic waist pants are a must Not all of the eggs they get will be "good" or "mature"...those eggs will be discarded (2 of my 15 eggs were not mature).
2. How many do they insert back into the uterus? Generally for healthy couples under 35 with no previous failed IVF attempts, the limit is 2. You and your doctor will go over your options and discuss this before your cycle. It will also depend on the health of your embryos and how many you have. We transferred two each time.
3. If it works the first time, and we still have some eggs left, can we save them for later use? Yes. The freezing of your embryos is included with some IVF packages, and with others it is an extra fee. It is well worth it to freeze any embryos you have...you'll have them available whenever you need them, and they never age! For example I'm closing in on 32 now, but my embryos were made with 28-year old eggs
4. And if we have left over eggs that we want to use for later use, do we have to pay for IVF all over again? At my clinic, the fresh IVF cycle was $15,000. An FET cycle was about $5000 when all was said and done, so much, much cheaper. It is also MUCH less stressful and MUCH easier on your body.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

March 17th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi, I just thought I'd chime in and give my experience. I'm Katie, 25 DH is 28 and we did 2 rounds of IVF and I am now pregnant with twins.

1. Do they retrieve as many eggs as possible? In general, yes. Some programs do a mini-IVf if that is something you would be open to. In those they try for only a couple of high quality eggs rather than as many as they can get. It works great for some. For us it wouldn't have worked I didn't try for this but on our first round we only had 5 mature eggs. I only responded to one of the meds and when this mef was taken away my eggs stopped growing. 2nd time I had 14 mature eggs, 3 were high quality on day of transfer.
2. How many do they insert back into the uterus? We did ours through a military hospital (cheaper but restricted) the first time they did a single embryo transfer. 2nd time they put back 2. Generally 2 is the limit for most under a certian age (usually 35-38) unless there are signficant factors such as repeated failed cycles or losses.
3. If it works the first time, and we still have some eggs left, can we save them for later use? Yes, We had 3 good ones from our 2nd cycle. Two were transfered (our twins) and one is frozen.
4. And if we have left over eggs that we want to use for later use, do we have to pay for IVF all over again? A frozen transfer is generally cheaper. We paid about $7000 for our IVF and a frozen is $2500. This was at a military program.

You can often find research programs that will do a discounted rate. This programs are restricted in what they can offer and do. For us it was the types of meds. They offered two differnent protocals you either did Lupron before baseline or you did it after. That was is it. For some people Lupron doesn't work so that would have been an issue. We also were only given two stim meds and no choices for anything else. You were either able to find a way to make it work for your body or that was it. This was hard for us becaues I probably would have done better on a different stim but in the end we did make it work. I was high risk for OHHS though because it pushed my E2 levels so high. There are a lot of options out there. You just have to figure out what will work best for you.
March 17th, 2013, 09:23 PM
J and K's Avatar Kim
Hi SweetTreat! I just wanted to tell you a little about my experience. I've just finished my first cycle and in the 2WW. I'm 28. My answers are pretty similar to the rest so I'm not going to answer alll of the questions. We collected 27 eggs, between natural fertilization and ICSI (injecting a single sperm in each egg) 18 fertilized. There is generally either a 3 or 5 day transfer, we did 3 day. When we went to do the transfer, only 3 out of the 18 divided properly and quite a few died out (more than the RE expected) so he suggested that transfer the 3 that were really good since fertilization didn't go as planned. We had 4 end up catching up a couple days later so those were frozen. At the clinic I go to IVf is slightly cheaper than a lot of other places. $5,500 for IVF, Medication was a little over $3,000, ICSI $1,200, something like $450 a year to store frozen embryos, FET is like $3,500 if we get to that point.

Good Luck to you!
Unexplained Infertility
TTC since January 2011
Clomid February 2012- May 2012
Laproscopy and Hysteroscopy Jan 2013 (didn't find anything)
IVF Feb/March 2013 25 eggs retireved, ICSI 18 fertilized, 3 transferred on day 3, 4 frozen...

Beta #1 48.2 14dp3dt
Beta #2 457 18dp3dt

Paige Addison born 11/12/13

March 17th, 2013, 09:23 PM
J and K's Avatar Kim
Hi SweetTreat! I just wanted to tell you a little about my experience. I've just finished my first cycle and in the 2WW. I'm 28. My answers are pretty similar to the rest so I'm not going to answer alll of the questions. We collected 27 eggs, between natural fertilization and ICSI (injecting a single sperm in each egg) 18 fertilized. There is generally either a 3 or 5 day transfer, we did 3 day. When we went to do the transfer, only 3 out of the 18 divided properly and quite a few died out (more than the RE expected) so he suggested that transfer the 3 that were really good since fertilization didn't go as planned. We had 4 end up catching up a couple days later so those were frozen. At the clinic I go to IVf is slightly cheaper than a lot of other places. $5,500 for IVF, Medication was a little over $3,000, ICSI $1,200, something like $450 a year to store frozen embryos, FET is like $3,500 if we get to that point.

Good Luck to you!
Unexplained Infertility
TTC since January 2011
Clomid February 2012- May 2012
Laproscopy and Hysteroscopy Jan 2013 (didn't find anything)
IVF Feb/March 2013 25 eggs retireved, ICSI 18 fertilized, 3 transferred on day 3, 4 frozen...

Beta #1 48.2 14dp3dt
Beta #2 457 18dp3dt

Paige Addison born 11/12/13

March 18th, 2013, 03:27 AM
~~MeeMee~~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The ladies above pretty much answered your questions, just wanted to wish you luck that you get your BFP soon and won’t need to go forward with IVF!

BABY BOY due June 6

Me 40 DH 42 with an amazing 15yo DS
TTC #2 NTNP starting in 2009
actively TTC (BBT and OPKs) 2011
natural BFP Feb 2012, ending in mmc Apr with d&c in May
IVF Sep 2012, 4 eggs retrieved, 2 mature, 1 fertilized, but showed abnormal
growth, so not suitable for transfer
Nov 2012 IVF take 2 = 3 embryos, but due to concerns with lining unable to transfer
Jan 2013 endometrial biopsy = normal
Mar FET transferred 2 beautiful embryos, but unfortunately BFN
moving to donor eggs fall of 2013
Septemeber 30, 2013 - surprise BFP while waiting for DE
March 18th, 2013, 07:30 AM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
Good Luck. The other ladies answered your questions but I wanted to tell you good luck. I remember when I heard that IVF was our best chance to expand our family. Hearing that was very hard on me. Now, I am doing my first and hopefully last IVF cycle right now!

We have MFI issues as well and my age. We are actually using an egg donor for IVF because of my age and wanting to have the best odds possible for IVF to work.
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13
March 21st, 2013, 11:21 PM
soapyseltzer's Avatar Cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakr View Post
Good Luck. The other ladies answered your questions but I wanted to tell you good luck. I remember when I heard that IVF was our best chance to expand our family. Hearing that was very hard on me. Now, I am doing my first and hopefully last IVF cycle right now!

We have MFI issues as well and my age. We are actually using an egg donor for IVF because of my age and wanting to have the best odds possible for IVF to work.

Hi... I just started lurking around the IVF forum as DH and I are getting ready to start our 1st IVF cycle next month. Just wanted to say good luck with your cycle using a donor. My 45 year old BFF just did her 1st cycle w/ an egg donor (age 28), and after 5 years and 3 failed attempts she is now 10 weeks pregnant. DH and I (both 41) are still waiting on my preliminary test results before we make a decision one way or the other about a donor.

GOOD LUCK to you too SweetTreat! And thanks for asking your questions... I came on here hoping to ask the same but you beat me to it.
*Leah* likes this.

Me: over 40; FSH (good); AMH (little low); E2 (great)
DH: over 40; good to go / great swimmers
DS: very active cute and funny
Meds: prenates, DHEA, CoQ10, D3, Omega3, Melatolin

1st IVF [Banking]: Antagonist w/ EPP
5/16 start EPP
5/25 baseline b/w & ultrasound
5/25 start stimming
6/06 ER

Last edited by soapyseltzer; March 21st, 2013 at 11:24 PM.
March 22nd, 2013, 08:31 AM
*Leah*'s Avatar TTC the newfashioned way
Welcome girls! Soapy seltzer, join us on the march/april ivf thread SweetTreat...best of luck to you.....
TTC#1 since 10/2006, 5 failed IUI's, 1st IVF successful BFP!! Baby Girl 2/2011
TTC#2 BFP 9/2011, Natural Pregnancy! 3/30/12 M/C'd on 5/15/12 (9 weeks)
IVF#2 BFP 4/2013 M/C 6/2/13 (8 weeks)
FET #1 BFP 8/2013 - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #3 - Retrieval Oct 31st, Txferred 2 on 5d - a Blast and Morula - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #4 - ER scheduled for 4/4/14 retrieved 4 eggs. Txferred 3 embryos 4/7/14!....BFN...NOW WHAT?
Check out my NEWBORN Hats and Baby Items
@ http://www.facebook.com/ThePaisleyPerle

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search