New to IVF = dazed & confused

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By *Leah*
  • 1 Post By soapyseltzer
  • 2 Post By melissaleigh
  • 2 Post By KMH
  • 2 Post By kayakr
  • 1 Post By soapyseltzer
  • 2 Post By kayakr

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC by IVF LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2013, 08:56 AM
soapyseltzer's Avatar Cam
Hey ladies...

Well I had my 1st IVF consult with my RE yesterday and I have to say I came home with a mountain of paperwork, 2 prescriptions, and zero clue as to what happened and what's next. I feel as though the RE and his team just did my paperwork, drew my blood, checked my uterus and ovaries, then sent me on my way... When does someone explain all of this to me???

Also... my RE said that he wants me to do embryo banking followed by PGD/CGH testing, because he only wants to put back ONE (1) embryo at a time. I have never heard of only putting one embryo back at a time, certainly not in someone my age (41)... And he said all of this BEFORE any of my examinations or tests were conducted.

Can someone please help me figure this out, and let me know if this sounds like a normal 1st consult. I feel like they saw my awesome insurance** and began making plans maybe not necessarily in my best interest.

** Insurance: All meds, 4 egg retrievals (lifetime); unlimited IUI, IVF, ICSI, FET, medically relevant PGD/CGH, and medical portion of Donor Egg/Sperm fees.

Me: over 40; FSH (good); AMH (little low); E2 (great)
DH: over 40; good to go / great swimmers
DS: very active cute and funny
Meds: prenates, DHEA, CoQ10, D3, Omega3, Melatolin

1st IVF [Banking]: Antagonist w/ EPP
5/16 start EPP
5/25 baseline b/w & ultrasound
5/25 start stimming
6/06 ER
April 4th, 2013, 10:45 AM
*Leah*'s Avatar TTC the newfashioned way
First, WELCOME!!

Second, I want your insurance !! LMAO!! Mine didn't even pay for a single blood draw!

Third, I do have concerns (as do you) with that protocol. 1st, have you ever been pregnant or did you have recurrent miscarriages? If not, and you have not been tested for any chromosomal abnormality (or your partner), then I am baffled as to why they would insist on PGD on an embryo. There is simply no reason for it, unless you have a confirmed diagnosis of an issue.

And you are correct to question the one embryo at a time as well. I'm 36 and we transferred 2 last time (I was 33) and we are transferring 2 (tomorrow, if I have two left!) - so I don't understand that at all. My clinic only transfers one if you are under 30 and if the embryos are really great quality and cell size. If you are over 40, or have failed cycles, our clinic will do up to 3, but 2 embryos is standard.

In my opinion, I do think they saw your insurance and might be trying to cash in. I hate to think a clinic would do that, but I'd ask the reasoning behind all of these issues and see what they really have to say. I mean, you didn't even get your CD3 bloodwork back!

Join us on the ongoing thread below - keep us posted!
soapyseltzer and L Marie like this.
TTC#1 since 10/2006, 5 failed IUI's, 1st IVF successful BFP!! Baby Girl 2/2011
TTC#2 BFP 9/2011, Natural Pregnancy! 3/30/12 M/C'd on 5/15/12 (9 weeks)
IVF#2 BFP 4/2013 M/C 6/2/13 (8 weeks)
FET #1 BFP 8/2013 - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #3 - Retrieval Oct 31st, Txferred 2 on 5d - a Blast and Morula - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #4 - ER scheduled for 4/4/14 retrieved 4 eggs. Txferred 3 embryos 4/7/14!....BFN...NOW WHAT?
Check out my NEWBORN Hats and Baby Items
@ http://www.facebook.com/ThePaisleyPerle

April 4th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the feedback StillWaiting. I am so glad to know its not just newbie paranoia. We actually hadn't had any tests done when the RE suggested my protocol. I was baffled.
*Leah* likes this.

5/16 start EPP
5/25 start stimming
6/06 ER
April 4th, 2013, 01:38 PM
melissaleigh's Avatar Unashamed POASer
I agree with Leah (stillwaiting) This all sounds a little fishy to me. I might look into a consult with another RE just to see how they differ
soapyseltzer and bbm0128 like this.
April 4th, 2013, 01:51 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Welcome, and congrats on the awesome insurance. I'm not going to lie, I am TOTALLY jealous

I'll just take the doctor's side for a second...if you have healthy embryos to do PGD with and they make sure that you are transferring a super-healthy one, your chances of pregnancy are great! With your age, of course, there is more of a chance for abnormalities, so this could help with that. There is some concern that a fresh IVF cycle is really hard on a body (I can attest to that) and that taking time off and doing an FET is easier and more successful because your body has time to recover after the eggs are retrieved.

Really, though...I think they are taking advantage of you. At the very least they should have explained all of your options and asked you how aggressive you wanted to be and what your thoughts were. Just giving you this protocol without testing or discussing it with you is ridiculous. I guess it was a lot easier to screw people before the internet came along...now we know better They should be ashamed of themselves!!
soapyseltzer and *Leah* like this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

April 4th, 2013, 02:08 PM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
Hi and WELCOME! Now that RE needs to slow his butt down! That is some freaking nice insurance to say the least however they need to treat you the right way.
I always look at age (I am 43) so yes you need to be aggressive and if insurance pays as well as it does you have the opportunity to do that. However, RE needs to not remember this is not for the light hearted. Much goes into getting to the right place emotionally to be ready for IVF. Regardless of if your insurance is awesome you still need to be "ok" and moving fast does not do that for everyone including myself. In my opinion, he only wants to transfer one because it looks like your insurance will pay for multiple tries so why does he care if the first time doesn’t work. Well emotionally having a failed IVF could be detrimental to you and your relationship if you are not ready for this experience.
Gosh – I need to get off here and get to acupuncture but I hope you stick around and we didn’t scare you worse. I think your gut feeling is right though.
Oh yea – pgd testing isn’t a bad thing specially with using your own eggs and since your insurance pays for it. This RE just needs to slow down we are not ready for all of this so fast….we just meant you. Haha! HUGS!
soapyseltzer and *Leah* like this.
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13
April 4th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Thank you ladies so much! Thank you for your words of encouragement and reassurance. I was feeling so lost, and down. I expected IVF to be stressful and unpredictable, I just don't want to stack the deck any more against me than I have to, and planning to transfer only one egg seemed to do that.

And I didn't expect to be in this much pain after only my 1st visit -- that vaginal sonogram that was done on me yesterday was so rough I have been bleeding and in pain all day. I have had 3 done in the past but never experienced anything like this pain after a sonogram. He said he was trying to see my ovaries. Now I don't want you guys to think I'm a wimp. I have a pretty high pain threshold.... but this is some freakin' bad pain I'm having today that wont go away.

Anyway, I called this RE at Cornell in NY who was recommended by a friend. Its a bit out of the way to get there but I'm willing to go because she swears by him for 40+ women like myself. I am seeing him in a week. Hopefully next time will be better.
*Leah* likes this.

5/16 start EPP
5/25 start stimming
6/06 ER
April 4th, 2013, 08:10 PM
What Cycle day are you? There is no reason for your sonogram to hurt you and still be hurting you. That is nuts? Even if you are close to O it could be a little sensitive but to still hurt you is just not normal if you ask me. I am a total wimp face and probably blow all pain out of proportion and for me to say a sonogram has never hurt me that means something. lol I have total medical anxiety and can't stand even the smell of sterile or the sight of a needle. If you are still hurting tomorrow for that sonogram you need to call them or something.

You are totally blessed to have insurance like that. We just wrote a check for 18,685.00 for our IVF cycle and I still am paying my 25.00 co pay every time I go in. I've been there 4 times this week... Where do you work and are they hiring? lol
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13
April 4th, 2013, 08:30 PM

My AF is due in about 6 days... and I am still in a lot of pain. I even took a 500mg motrin and nothing. It feels only a little like period cramps -- I would say it feels more like very very bad bruising in my uterus on both sides, like the kind of pain you feel after a D&C, plus lower back pain. I am calling my OB/Gyn in the morning. This is nuts. I can see maybe having a little spotting but I'm on a tampon now. (gross...sorry)

Anyway, don't worry Kay I understand that feeling of having to write a huge check, so I'm not trying to rub my insurance in anyone's face. DH and I adopted our son last year and that final check was bigger than the one we wrote as down payment on our home. I guess God knew we had nothing left in our piggy-bank to use for IVF. DS is sooo totally worth it though. He's worth it times 1000!

5/16 start EPP
5/25 start stimming
6/06 ER
April 5th, 2013, 06:06 AM
We didn't take it as you were rubbing your insurance in our face - not at all. We are super excited for you and Jealous! But happy jealous!!!! lol

I hope you are feeling better today.
soapyseltzer and KMH like this.
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN