Did you buy a "package" or just hope the first IVF worked?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC by IVF LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2013, 01:04 AM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
So I have seen here many times the first ivf didn't work so I am wondering what I should do and thinking lots about it.
ICSI is $1800 and has nothing to do with the plans or the IVF fee. I think we are going to do this.

The straight IVF though the clinic is $10,300 (no meds) fresh cycle
FET is $4700
The package plan is 1 cycle+ and that is around $13000 (no meds) and gets you one fresh one FET. If you don't have snowbabies you are SOL tho.
The next plan is 2 cycle + which is 2 IVF and 2 FET (no meds) and if you have no snowbabies you are SOL.
You can also sign up for a grantee program that goes off age and diagnosis but I don't think you get the whole amount back and it doesn't cover meds. Not sure of the fee on that tho.

So what did you do? Any words of wisdom?

Can you tell I have no where else to go and ask these questions
I keep posting and hope I dont come across crazy! While i am crazy, i am not KKFCCP!
I know it's rude or whatever to talk money, but I figure I need advice and it's a part of it. We all know it's pricey so it's not a shock i wouldn't think. Sorry if i offend anyone
TTC#3 since Summer 2011
10 IUIs= one confirmed and lots of BFN
9/13/13 IVF#1 ( One 5AA blast)= BFN
11/18/13 FET (Two 5AA blasts)=
2/26/14 FET (Two 5BA blasts)= BFP!!!
Beta HCG 14 DPO: 181 / 17 DPO: 870 / 24 DPO: 16,051
3/24/14= We have a heartbeat and ONE sticky bean!
My blog

Check out Leah's cute newborn Hats and Baby Items!

April 26th, 2013, 05:22 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
We did not do any type of package...just paid for one fresh cycle and went from there.

My clinic didn't offer the fresh/FET packages that yours did, so we did not have that option. We could either pay for each thing as a standalone, or pay for the shared-risk package, which was $25,000 for 3 fresh cycles and 3 FETs OR until you took home a baby. If you didn't have a baby after that, you got some of the money back (maybe all? I can't remember). That price didn't include ICSI or meds.

My clinic had a 70% success rate with under 30 unexplained IF, so we felt our odds were good without a package. The prices you gave sound very similar to what we paid for each thing.

If you do the package, does that include freezing the embryos? Sometimes those package deals leave out some things

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

Last edited by KMH; April 26th, 2013 at 05:27 AM.
April 26th, 2013, 05:50 AM
*Leah*'s Avatar TTC the newfashioned way!
We did the shared risk package that Melissa stated above for Mallory - 3 fresh, 3 frozen cycles and if you didn't take home a baby that lived 30 days, you got 100% of your meds and money back. It worked on the first try, so we did obviously overpay. But I'd had a friend that just went through 3 ivf cycles and I wanted that reassurance of other tries, and honestly, I think it made me more calm knowing all our eggs weren't in one basket. But that is just me.

This time, I didn't qualify for the same shared risk program w/meds. I'm over 35 now. We still did shared risk, it just only gives back 80% if we do not again, have a baby that lives 30 days, but we do not get any of the meds back. We spent $3800ish on meds this cycle.

I almost wish we hadn't done the shared risk again, as it worked on the first cycle again AND we have frosties. But I am now 36 (37 in July) and my FSH is a little high, so I just didn't know how I would respond (Only 4 eggs with Mallory)....and sometimes it's a guessing game as to how you will respond. But I feel if we hadn't done shared risk, maybe I wouldn't have been so calm and would have had a crappy cycle that didn't work. I will never know, so I can't beat myself up about that and the money we could have saved. *sigh* it's only money, right?

A friend of mine had a suggestion once to do an injectibles IUI cycle to see how your body reacts to the meds before you decide to do IVF.

I didn't because our clinic was 2 hours away...but maybe that is something you might want to consider. I know you are a great responder.

And to answer your other post (sorry, I've not had time!)

The HARDEST part of IVF, besides coming up with the money, is deciding to do it. Admitting that is what you have to do to have a family. It's SUCH a hard decision I went back and forth with. It's so tempting to do IUI's as a "magic cure" because they are SO much cheaper. After 5 IUI's with not a hint of a pregnancy, I really feel we wasted time and money doing them, but I know it's different for you because you ARE getting pg, so it's so much more alluring to just keep doing them and hoping it sticks.

Once we made the decision, I've NEVER regretted it. I told Mike, we are doing all we can to get pg and I'll never regret it. I will only regret it if we didn't do all we could to have our own children. (Mike's not a fan of adoption *sigh*).

And once we made the decision, all the stress of deciding and wondering and praying for a miracle in the wait went away....It was out of our hands and it was the BEST chance we had ever had to get pg. It was exciting and I loved the process actually. Seeing your baby 8 cells big is something most people do not get to see!

Good luck with your decision...it's a huge one.

Here is Mallory 8 cells big...she is on the right
TTC#1 since 10/2006, 5 failed IUI's, 1st IVF successful BFP!! Baby Girl 2/2011
TTC#2 BFP 9/2011, Natural Pregnancy! 3/30/12 M/C'd on 5/15/12 (9 weeks)
IVF#2 BFP 4/2013 M/C 6/2/13 (8 weeks)
FET #1 BFP 8/2013 - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #3 - Retrieval Oct 31st, Txferred 2 on 5d - a Blast and Morula - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #4 - ER scheduled for 4/4/14 retrieved 4 eggs. Txferred 3 embryos 4/7/14!....
Check out my NEWBORN Hats and Baby Items
@ http://www.facebook.com/ThePaisleyPerle

April 26th, 2013, 06:15 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwaiting View Post
The HARDEST part of IVF, besides coming up with the money, is deciding to do it. Admitting that is what you have to do to have a family.

Once we made the decision, I've NEVER regretted it. I told Mike, we are doing all we can to get pg and I'll never regret it. I will only regret it if we didn't do all we could to have our own children. (Mike's not a fan of adoption *sigh*).

And once we made the decision, all the stress of deciding and wondering and praying for a miracle in the wait went away....It was out of our hands and it was the BEST chance we had ever had to get pg.
I already answered this question, but I feel like this says it better than I did and fits us to a "T"...even the adoption thing. There is actually something very liberating in deciding to go for IVF.
*Leah* likes this.

Melissa & DH

April 26th, 2013, 07:00 AM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
Lucy - my clinic didn't offer any packages. It was just straight up one time shot. I inquired about the shared risk and my DH wasn't a fan. He didn't want over pay for something that had our best odds of working. Also with 25 year old Proven DE we were taking a lot of the "risk" away too.

We set limits for ourselves before hand. We decided we would try one natural cycle IUI and one medicated injectables IUI cycle. If it didn't work we had to move on because of my age. We pretty much stayed with with we decided too in the beginning. We even decided DE in the beginning and stuck with that too. The time line ended being off by 6 months but other then that we stuck to our plans. I think having a plan was what kept us in control and helped us feel as normal as possible.

There is no getting around the the money. It just sucks. DH two years ago started saving for IVF and I didn't even know it. He had saved enough to pay for the whole thing. He sold things on Ebay for two years and made enough money and took any bonus money he received. Ebay sales where anywhere from $300-1200.00 each month. So he had a goal based on our timeline and did it. He didn't tell me anything about it. Thirty days before our IVF started I was still trying to figure out which loan we were going to get.
J and K likes this.
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13
April 26th, 2013, 07:30 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Gretchen, that story about your DH still makes me cry
*Leah* and kayakr like this.

Melissa & DH

April 26th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We chose a clinic instead where all the cycles after the first one were discounted in half. An IVF cycle for us would now be around $6000, although that's still too high for us since we have almost no chance of snowbabies and we can put that money towards embryo donation instead and be working with embryo's instead of my eggs that may or may not work. BUT the clinic does that for each cycle after the first one, each one is around $5000-6000 going forward. Pretty good deal for me, and I didn't have to sign up for a package

April 27th, 2013, 12:28 AM
It includes one year storage, after that its $600 or $700 yr?
------
I think thats why I seem frantic a bit. I think if I make the final decision I will feel so much better and so will DH.
You know the IUI with injectables might be a good idea. I wonder tho if they would cancel if I over respond tho... I wish I knew how I will react because I am VERY afraid of OHSS.

I also remember that story Gretchen

I dunno... Seems like so much money if we do only a single shot. I think I might have to suck it up and do the 2 cycle+ plan.

Are there places to get meds cheaper online?
*Leah* likes this.
TTC#3 since Summer 2011
My blog

April 27th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, or if one of you wants to get a job at Starbucks part time, they cover all injectable meds

April 27th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash View Post
Yes, or if one of you wants to get a job at Starbucks part time, they cover all injectable meds
DH is a SM at sbx.
I think we picked the wrong plan Or it's not offered in CA?
They said we 'might' have coverage for meds. I don't know WTH that means since everything else they were able to detail for me.
I forgot all about that! I need to check! I am not sure how to do that... hmmmm.... Maybe call a pharmacy that carries the meds I might be on?
I know you said to look at the brochure but I forgot
https://www.webmdhealth.com/content/...escription.pdf

ETA: What plan do you have Lauren? We picked Blue Shield/Cross Premera. Our only other choice was kaiser and that has no med or fertility coverage.
TTC#3 since Summer 2011
My blog

Last edited by Lucy S.; April 27th, 2013 at 09:02 PM.
April 27th, 2013, 08:53 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Call Fertility Lifelines! If you give them your plan info, they will figure everything out for you and call you back to explain exactly what coverage you have. They will also send you the info in writing.

1-866-LETS-TRY or http://www.fertilitylifelines.com/pa...cecoverage.jsp

I used them and thought they were extremely helpful.

Melissa & DH

April 27th, 2013, 09:01 PM
oooo excellent! I will call monday or make dh do it!
Thank you melissa!!
TTC#3 since Summer 2011
My blog

April 28th, 2013, 07:17 AM
*Leah*'s Avatar TTC the newfashioned way!
Also, just wanted to throw out there. I had a friend that overstimmed on an IUI and they switched her to IVF, I don't think it was actually very much either. That would always be an option for you, too.

She skipped most of the blood draws and ultrasound and it actually ended up great, she has adorable b/g twins and she is almost ready to do an FET with her frosties. I've directed her here for her FET questions...hope she joins soon.
Lucy S. likes this.
TTC#1 since 10/2006, 5 failed IUI's, 1st IVF successful BFP!! Baby Girl 2/2011
TTC#2 BFP 9/2011, Natural Pregnancy! 3/30/12 M/C'd on 5/15/12 (9 weeks)
IVF#2 BFP 4/2013 M/C 6/2/13 (8 weeks)
FET #1 BFP 8/2013 - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #3 - Retrieval Oct 31st, Txferred 2 on 5d - a Blast and Morula - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #4 - ER scheduled for 4/4/14 retrieved 4 eggs. Txferred 3 embryos 4/7/14!....
Check out my NEWBORN Hats and Baby Items
@ http://www.facebook.com/ThePaisleyPerle

April 28th, 2013, 05:20 PM
cassthomas852's Avatar Veteran
Hi Lucy, we have MD IPA, which is offered through United HealthCare. They cover 50% of both IUI and IVF. All the meds are covered under the prescription plan, so if the drug is a covered drug, I pay the tiered copay. My health insurance requires me to use a specialty pharmacy for fertility drugs. That pharmacy is Freedom Fertility Pharmacy.

I did find out that one of the injections for FET is not covered - del estrogen - so I had to pay full price for it which was 107.

There are some states that mandate some coverage for infertility treatments. Are you in one of those states?

Me- 32
DH - 35
TTC for over 6 years.

Jan 2013 - IVF #1
May 2013 - FET #1

6/7/13 - First ultrasound - Twins!
12/20/13 - Kayden and Caleb were born at 34 weeks!

April 28th, 2013, 08:38 PM
TinaLou's Avatar Member
We purchased a 3 cycle + package through ARC. We knew that with our age and sperm difficulties, we would probably need more than 1 try. It was a good decision because our first round just ended in a chemical pregnancy. We are devastated emotionally but know we have several more chances ahead of us.
*Leah* and cassthomas852 like this.

3 IUI cycles in 2003
IVF Cycle #1: April 2013 Chemical pregnancy Ended April 26

IVF Cycle #2
Began BCP May 23
Suppression Check- June 18- I am suppressed!! 2 giant cysts on right ovary.
cysts aspirated 6/19
6/20/13 - Begin Follistim 225 and Menopur 225
April 28th, 2013, 08:56 PM
J and K's Avatar Kim
Hi Lucy! My clinic doesn't have packages, so we were pretty much at the cycle by cycle price no matter what. I think my clinic is a little cheaper than a lot of them though as well, we didn't have any IVF coverage. I think with everything the cycle ended up costing between $11,000 and $12,000, thats drugs, ICSI, freezing embryos, ER and ET... everything. There are things about this clinic that I don't love but from the research I've done they are pretty cheap for cycle by cycle ivf and they have fairly high success rates. I was lucky it worked the first time for me! I hope you get your BFP very soon!!!
cassthomas852 likes this.
Unexplained Infertility
TTC since January 2011
Clomid February 2012- May 2012
Laproscopy and Hysteroscopy Jan 2013 (didn't find anything)
IVF Feb/March 2013 25 eggs retireved, ICSI 18 fertilized, 3 transferred on day 3, 4 frozen...

Beta #1 48.2 14dp3dt
Beta #2 457 18dp3dt

Paige Addison born 11/12/13

April 28th, 2013, 09:00 PM
Cassandra- I live in CA and it is one of those states but doesn't mean the employer has to offer it, just that the insurance companies do I guess.

Tina- I'm so sorry

Kim- I am jealous of that price!!!
TTC#3 since Summer 2011
My blog

April 29th, 2013, 08:44 AM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
Ohio is one of those states, but most employers elect to not have it in their insurance coverage. Ours was 100% out of pocket.
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13
April 29th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Lucy, Gretchen- I thought the law states that the employers must elect to have some coverage for infertility. It may not include IVF, maybe it's just for diagnosis and treatment of infertility, or maybe it's just IUI.

I can't believe that states mandate coverage but employers can elect not to have it. What's the point if mandating the coverage, ya know?

That's why I chose to be an advocate with RESOLVE. I may even take that trip to Capital Hill this summer to talk to our representatives. I wrote to my state senator and representatives about infertility and the cost of treatment to have a family. If we all get involved maybe one day they will have full coverage for it :-) wishful thinking, right?
*Leah* likes this.

Me- 32
DH - 35
TTC for over 6 years.

Jan 2013 - IVF #1
May 2013 - FET #1

April 29th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Ahhhh.... I see for CA, IVF is exempt from the law. And for OH, it's not required by law. That sucks... Why do these law makers think that IVF should be exempt? That makes me mad! I'm sorry you two don't have coverage!

You can check out a previous post of mine for information about RESOLVE.

Did you all know last week was National Infertility Awareness Week?
J and K likes this.

Me- 32
DH - 35
TTC for over 6 years.

Jan 2013 - IVF #1
May 2013 - FET #1

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search