Newbie Here!!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By kayakr
  • 2 Post By jes81878

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC by IVF LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 21st, 2013, 04:43 PM
Hi everyone. Let me start off by saying I have read so many of your posts and I have a slight glimmer of hope for me and my husband.

Long story short we went to visit a fertility doctor after trying the "manual" way of trying to get pregnant for going on a year with no luck.

Found out the DH wasn't producing any sperm...

Went to see a urologist( who actually works alongside our fertility doctor and was highly recommended) and just got the call that IVF would be the only option for us.

I have been freaking out since Friday when we got the call. Why us? We're both fairly young( him 30 me 28). Why? Why?

I feel so conflicted. IVF seems to be so overwhelming and painful. So many questions..

Am I taking the right vitamins( coq10- 400 mg twice per day, prenatal with DHA, vitamin d, vitamin c)

Is there any risks with the injections?

Will we have to do this everytime we want to have a child?

The outcome of a healthy baby totally shadows any fear of pain or anything but I personally dont know anyone who has been through this.

I just need a huge hug....
October 22nd, 2013, 02:50 AM
Veteran
McLovin - HUGS!!!!

I know this stinks but you are not alone!!!!! Thankfully, there are ways to get around the issue - medications and treatments to help. Many people are in your position. I am one of them!!!!

I have a similar story - my hubby's sperm shape ("morphology") is the culprit. We have to do IVF with the ICSI procedure so they take whatever sperm is ok and inject it into my eggs to fertilize them.

When sperm is a big issue, you usually need help (IVF procedures) to have a baby. Since my hubby has lower than normal sperm shape, the head of the sperm (of a large percentage of his sperm) wouldn't penetrate through an egg. Some could but it could take a long time, if ever. I know there are even procedures where the docs can go through the testicles to get sperm if none is produced. There are so many diff ways.

The injections aren't fun, but if the outcome is a healthy baby then you're right, the shots are in the shadows. I'm sorry that you've had news causing you to join our group (of people going through this) but we are glad to have you here. Lots of people can help you along the way.

McLovin - HUGS!!!!

I know this stinks but you are not alone!!!!! Thankfully, there are ways to get around the issue - medications and treatments to help. Many people are in your position. I am one of them!!!!

I have a similar story - my hubby's sperm shape ("morphology") is the culprit. We have to do IVF with the ICSI procedure so they take whatever sperm is ok and inject it into my eggs to fertilize them.

When sperm is a big issue, you usually need help (IVF procedures) to have a baby. Since my hubby has lower than normal sperm shape, the head of the sperm (of a large percentage of his sperm) wouldn't penetrate through an egg. Some could but it could take a long time, if ever. I know there are even procedures where the docs can go through the testicles to get sperm if none is produced. There are so many diff ways.

The injections aren't fun, but if the outcome is a healthy baby then you're right, the shots are in the shadows. I'm sorry that you've had news causing you to join our group (of people going through this) but we are glad to have you here. Lots of people can help you along the way.
TTC for one year (2010-2011) and knew something was wrong.
IVF/ICSI in Feb 2012:
FET - July 2014 - - Praying!
October 22nd, 2013, 06:24 AM
*Leah*'s Avatar TTC the newfashioned way
HUGS!! are being sent your way!!!!

If sperm is the issue, do they know WHY he doesn't produce any? Is it a few thousand or a few hundred or ? A friend of mine pushed why her DH's count was low and it was low testosterone, then she pushed to find out why his testosterone was low and discovered he had thyroid issues and it turned out he had thyroid cancer! He's doing awesome now, was put on clomid to raise testosterone and they are pregnant!

Some men have varicose veins in their scrotum called varicocele's...surgery can help and it can boost sperm counts when fixed. If they haven't already, I would suggest your DH visit a fertility urologist to see if it's anything like this (unless you already did that)....

So, while it does sound like IVF is the way to go if he's not producing sperm, they may have to do TESE, which is sedate him and "search" for sperm inside him. I had a friend that had to do this and they have a beautiful daughter. It took the Drs an hour to find 12 sperm to fertilize her 12 eggs, but it worked! And like HOping said above, they probably will have to do ICSI, where they inject the sperm into your eggs.

So to answer your question, yes, you may have to do IVF to have other children, unless there is a reason to him not producing sperm that can be fixed.

You are not alone. We tried for 4 years before going on to IVF...and we have our sweetheart daughter...we're now trying for #2. We are unexplained. The Drs can't find anything wrong with us. I have a feeling it's just either my eggs are too hard for DH sperm to penetrate, or his sperm aren't strong enough and can't get through an egg....either way...This is what we have to do to make a family.

IVF isn't hard. Making the decision to do it is the hard part. After that, it all falls into place. (okay, not going to lie - the money sucks too! Why do I have to pay to have a family and douchecanoe's out there who shouldn't and don't want kids can pop them out like candy??) but that's another whole post!

Welcome and join us on the running month thread's ...that's where most the chit-chat is
TTC#1 since 10/2006, 5 failed IUI's, 1st IVF successful BFP!! Baby Girl 2/2011
TTC#2 BFP 9/2011, Natural Pregnancy! 3/30/12 M/C'd on 5/15/12 (9 weeks)
IVF#2 BFP 4/2013 M/C 6/2/13 (8 weeks)
FET #1 BFP 8/2013 - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #3 - Retrieval Oct 31st, Txferred 2 on 5d - a Blast and Morula - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #4 - ER scheduled for 4/4/14 retrieved 4 eggs. Txferred 3 embryos 4/7/14!....BFN...NOW WHAT?
Check out my NEWBORN Hats and Baby Items
@ http://www.facebook.com/ThePaisleyPerle

October 22nd, 2013, 07:15 AM
Thanks so much for the reply!

Yes, we also have to go through IVF with ICSI as well. The name my husbands condition azoospermia!

We have always expressed our interest in having twins( they run on both sides of our families but there hasn't been a set in over 16 years!) Our fertility doctor is against multiples( due to medical issues or what not).

Thanks so much for the virtual hug!!
October 22nd, 2013, 09:29 AM
Veteran
McLovin - when I saw your post, I felt as though I was reading about myself, two years ago! Of course it's tough that we have to be here, but I have found this site to be the best, with awesome girls, who provide non-stop support, so while it's not fun to be here, I extend a whole hearted WELCOME, all the same!

My husband and I tried for a year to get pregnant naturally as well, 2010-2011, with no luck. His mother had mentioned to me a couple times, that he had a hernia repair as a child and that the doctor, even then, said that he might have difficulty having children. That always perplexed me, because how you can know something like that in a child so young? Did they botch his surgery somehow and not want to say so? Was it just an affect of the repair, which I have read can cause blockages? I thought surely that doctor was being way too premature in that kind of statement. But, alas, month after month, no BFP's. We went to a clinic and found that his diagnosis was also azoospermia!

I was freaking out, to say the least, so off to a urologist we went. He recommended going right for the TESE procedure where they go right into the testicles and get any sperm from the tissue walls, they can find. I was really hoping they would find SOMETHING! And, they did - 9 vials worth! Makes me wonder if he truly does have a blockage of some kind, but instead of going down that road with no guarantee and just more time wasted, we went right into IVF, also with ICSI!

I did my first round of IVF in July of 2011 - I hate needles, but after going through the experience, I was lucky and didn't find it too bad; no side effects and responded well - so you could be one of the lucky ones too! Hopefully, after you go through one round, you will have some embryos that are of good quality and you can freeze them for next time, so you might not always have to do the injections.

I was pregnant the first time, but sadly that ended in miscarriage at 7 weeks. But, I had two good quality embryos left over and went back for one in Feb of 2012. The process for an FET is a lot easier, for me, I had no injections, pill form. Again, became pregnant and now that beautiful little embryo, Olivia, is going to be 1 in three weeks! I have one embryo left from that same cycle and am waiting to start meds for another FET this month. If we are not successful, back to the injections it is!

At first, it is a lot to take in..I think for me, I had a feeling something wasn't right and had started doing a lot of reading on the process before we even quite got there. The medications, the dosages, etc. I thought for sure I would screw something up but my clinic was so great and the nurses really do walk you through the whole thing, so that helped a lot! For me, it ended up being a lot easier than I thought. I hope the same experience for you!

I know so many girls on here who have 2-3 children from these procedures, so it can definitely happen, not only once, but more than that!

Sending you positive wishes and thoughts for a smooth experience! I will try to keep tabs on you, see how you are doing. You are not alone!

;o) HUGS!!!

Due to our age (both 29-31) going through this process over two years, and no other medical issues, our clinic does not encourage transferring more than one embryo unless medically necessary. I mean, at the end of the day it is our decision but they try to focus on singleton babies and my clinic happens to have great success with that. When the time comes, you and your hubby will make the best decision for you both.

;o)
October 22nd, 2013, 10:15 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Just wanted to welcome you to the boards as well. We did IVF when I was 28 and DH was 30, and our first attempt resulted in our daughter who is now 3. 18 months later we transferred two frozen embryos and had our twins who are now 14 months. It wasn't physically, emotionally, or financially easy, but it was definitely worth it.

The ladies here are amazing and we're kind of like a big dysfunctional family...welcome to it

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

October 22nd, 2013, 11:28 AM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
Hi and welcome! I am sorry you've gotten this crappy news! If it was up to me none of us would every have to deal with infertility.

There are things you can do though and IVF does give you the best odds.

I am currently pregnant with twins from IVF/ICSI and a Donor Egg. We had sperm issues and because of my age 43 my eggs were not of the best quality.
So as you can see - you can get past this. It will come with some heartbreak, some physical pain and it hurts the pocket book BUT it's worth it to start your family.

Take care of each other. This is very hard on your husband to hear and he will blame himself. You will need his corporation in the further for procedures so make sure he knows you love him no matter what and you don't think any less of him. My husband was in a bad funk for a good three months solid after hearing the news his guys were shaped dorky. So give your husband time to adjust and make a plan you can both agree on and live with. What seems impossible today won't be impossible later! HUGS!
KMH likes this.
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13
October 22nd, 2013, 11:35 AM
jes81878's Avatar Jennifer
Welcome, and I'm sorry you have to be here too.

We did IVF in June after 4 years of TTC and are expecting twins. This group was so supportive and informative for me. IVF is not nearly as bad and scary as it seems. I would much rather do the meds and injections instead of getting a BFN every month.
amberbanegas and Tanyapisa like this.
My Son 13
Husband no bio/children (but the best father ever to my two boys)
TTC for 4 years
IVF in June 2013 (BFP)
1st Beta (10dp5dt) #761

Boy/Girl Twins

October 22nd, 2013, 01:23 PM
Veteran
Hugs to all of you ladies! It's so hard when people are popping kids out like candy and we have to go through all of this. It will be worth it, and like Leah said, there are many causes and options! Congrats to all of you who are warriors through all of this and who have babies as a result of your resolve never to give up, despite the financial and emotional challenges. Wishing everyone happiness with their babies. I hopeful for us all!!!!
IVF/ICSI in Feb 2012:
October 29th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Thanks so much ladies. Well let me sum up a short story..

We were married on April 20, 2013!!! On May 20th, he was involved in a five car accident. Everyone walked away fine, no injuries. We went to the er the next day just to make sure everything was okay and on the CAT scan, the doctors noticed multiple nodules, even in his testicles. First word out of the doctors mouth was cancer.

After numerous doctors visits, 3 months of constant worry, a lung biopsy AND a spleen biopsy. the conclusion was NO CANCER but a condition named sarcoidosis. The doctors think this may be why hes not producing sperm. We have a biopsy scheduled for November 26 to do the sperm extraction from his testicles to see if we can even move forward towards IVF.

All of this in a matter of 6 months!! Thats why I really hope this works. We have been hit at every angle it seems and I hope this is our silver lining.
October 29th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Super Mommy
Hey!!! And welcome. I hope your stay is short
October 30th, 2013, 03:34 AM
Veteran
Mclovin- so sorry for this news - happy you are safe though!!!!! Happy you can move on with other options for a family! We are all here to support each other and will be here for you along the way!!
IVF/ICSI in Feb 2012:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search