We're in for IVF but I don't know much yet...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By KMH
  • 1 Post By april18
  • 1 Post By april18
  • 2 Post By flhopeful
  • 2 Post By april18

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC by IVF LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 9th, 2014, 07:21 AM
Super Mommy
We met with our doctor yesterday to discuss why he thinks Letrozole/Follistim protocols didn't work for me even though "everything looked great!" each time. It all comes back to our four factors which are Stage 2/3 endo, borderline PCOS, slower liquification of sperm (although he thinks this really wasn't the issue) and of course age since I'm 36. I could keep going with those cycles but the odds are just not great and it's getting harder to bounce back after failed cycles. I responded really well to the medication and have a high ovarian reserve so the doctor thinks I'll respond well and have success with IVF. So we're in!

Since I've already done all the tests and cycles, I just have to do the mock embryo transfer test. That sounds like a lot of fun (<-- sarcasm) with catheters!

What I don't know is timing. Originally we were told that I wouldn't be scheduled for a retrieval until mid-February even though I've been on BCP since 12/29. I asked the doctor if he could get me into a January cycle and he said he's in town and available all month so he'll try to get a January calendar together for me. It's no guarantee but hopefully he will get me in January because if we get a few "good" embryos, I'd really like to do the genetic testing. He said they would do the genetic testing on day 5 then freeze them and transfer them in my next cycle. So that would be a month delay and put me in February where I thought I'd be originally anyway so I can deal with that.

So, what I want to know is what you ladies know/have done about genetic testing. I know it's a moot point if I end up with only a couple of "good" embryos (we'd go ahead with the transfer) or none (God forbid) but I'm trying to be optimistic and think about what we would do if we had a choice. Doc says the odds are significantly improved following genetic testing. What has been your experience with this?

I should hear back from the clinic today or tomorrow so I'll know more then about when I can get in and what my timeline looks like. Can't wait to know what my next couple of months will look like :-)
January 9th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Super Mommy
hey Girl!!!

i'm happy that you're going another round!!! although the mock transfer does not sound fun (1 more thing you have to conquer). I like that your dr is being proactive to make you a mommy! not all docs are like that . thank God for the good ones!!!

well, at the old clinic we were on stims for 12 days (gonal/menopur) my new doc says this is a horrible protocol & produces poor quality eggs. which we did happened from being over stimulated. I have a vascular disease which has underlying autoimmune properties & pelvic endo. I asked my previous dr about auto immune problems affecting implantation. she shrugged it off & said it isn't a factor. the new dr says its a major factor! if you have a good seed then there's something wrong with the soil. because of the endo & my auto immune problems. my uterus was toxic for the embies . they are ordering more blood tests for a more specific diagnosis. here's a website IVF Authority by Dr. Geoffrey Sher, MD - Las Vegas | IVF blogs by Dr. Geoffrey Sher, MD - Las Vegas | Sher Institute for Reproductive Medicine about implantation failure. there is an abundance of info, try not to get overwhelmed. there's also a message board Fertility and IVF Discussion Boards| Understand Symptoms, treatments, diagnoses and procedures from the SIRM Doctors which is great! you can ask your own questions & the doctors actually respond! how crazy right? reading the boards I was able to associate with a lot of these women & their Q & A's helped me ask better questions. I highly recommend checking it out .

we decided to go with the new clinic. it was an A+++ experience yesterday. its going to be more expensive but in this case I do feel you get what you pay for. the original clinic was more affordable, but they take on too many patients & we got lost in the shuffle. it was unorganized & an overall horrible experience. our new clinic only takes so many patients a month. I got a very clear understanding of what to expect & the dr gave us his cel#! I was shocked.

our only dilemma is the genetic testing. it soooooo expensive at this new clininc! i'm glad your clinic said that they would test, freeze, then transfer the next month. that is the correct way to do it. the last clinic we went to does not freeze & it hurts the viability of the embryo . we did the PGS through CGH & we ended up with 1 slow developing that we were not able to freeze, 1 with down syndrome & 2 healthies that did not implant, prob due to my autoimmune issues. to be honest, i was very relived that the 2 embies they did transfer did not have down syndrome. it definitely gave me peace of mind. we will be starting at the end of feb, with a low stim protocol (Lupron & menopur) to increase egg quality & transfusions to assist with my autoimmune problems from attacking the embies. I know that its not fun to postpone another month, but for me, I would be so sad to go through this, wait 4 months for the amnio & then find out our baby has down syndrome . if you don't mind me asking are you wanting to do the genetic testing because of your age? we don't know if we can come up with the money to do it, but if we can make room on our credit i think we will go for it!

I hope you're having a great day! sending positive thoughts your way
January 9th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Super Mommy
Oh my goodness, I can't believe the differences between the two doctors you have seen. I'm happy to hear you are going with the better clinic. It may be more expensive but it sounds like you were flushing your money down the drain at the other clinic. I'll read the links you attached but was just curious what the autoimmune issue was that you have? I ask because I have had this sixth sense about something like that being "wrong" with me from even before we started TTC.

How expensive is the genetic testing? We were quoted $500 but he said a lot of clinics charge much more than this like $2500 or so. On my clinic's website it does say they hold a patent in this area so not sure if this is why it's more affordable? I may have the number wrong number but then again, I think they give reduced prices to patients with zero insurance coverage. I'll ask more about it tomorrow.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the testing. I think the money and waiting are worth the peace of mind knowing that you are using the healthiest embryo with the best shot at surviving is the number one reason to do it and yes, my age has me really concerned with downs. I have a friend with a lovely downs baby but she has terrible heart problems. That scares me. I don't want to sound like a bad person because this is such a fine ethical line...

What do you do between now and the end of Feb? Actually relax and not obsess over TTC? I think you are spot on with what you are doing and the time will fly!

I got my calendar today and my first retrieval is scheduled for January 25th. My head is spinning with all the information being sent my way that DH and I have to digest tonight before signing on the dotted line tomorrow. This is nuts!
January 9th, 2014, 05:07 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
The mock transfer isn't nearly as scary as it sounds, and it is really helpful for the IVF cycle. You'll lay on the table and they'll insert a speculum just like with a pap smear. The doc will insert a plastic tube (catheter) like what they will use to put the embryos into your uterus, and your doc will measure where the near and far sides of your uterus are so he/she knows exactly where to put your little embabies. It takes only a few minutes and is usually pretty painless.
april18 likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

January 10th, 2014, 05:25 AM
Super Mommy
Thank you for the info KMH. I'm about to start downing water before heading over for the catheter test. I'm feeling much better about it now!
January 10th, 2014, 08:54 AM
*Leah*'s Avatar TTC the newfashioned way
GOod luck with your Mock Transfer!!

We didn't do genetic testing, because 1) I don't produce enough eggs to make it to day 5 and 2) our first IVF ended with a perfect girl, so he didn't think we had any chromosomal abnormalities, although Downs is always a possibility. Our clinic charges $2500. I have a friend that had a missing chromosome, so she kept having miscarriages, that is why she did the genetic testing. She now has b/g twins from her very last try on her FET. She transferred 4!!!

I am doing Lovenox Shots and baby aspirin to prevent miscarriage (I'm doing another cycle in March) and I really want to do the intrallipid therapy...April, is this what you are doing?

My Dr. wasn't sold on the idea for me, personally, but I'm going to push it and see if he'll prescribe it. It's my last IVF and I want to do everything I possibly can to make it work. I heard if you call Walgreens, they can have a nurse come to your house to administer the therapy....

Good luck on your cycles girls!
TTC#1 since 10/2006, 5 failed IUI's, 1st IVF successful BFP!! Baby Girl 2/2011
TTC#2 BFP 9/2011, Natural Pregnancy! 3/30/12 M/C'd on 5/15/12 (9 weeks)
IVF#2 BFP 4/2013 M/C 6/2/13 (8 weeks)
FET #1 BFP 8/2013 - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #3 - Retrieval Oct 31st, Txferred 2 on 5d - a Blast and Morula - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #4 - ER scheduled for 4/4/14 retrieved 4 eggs. Txferred 3 embryos 4/7/14!....BFN...NOW WHAT?
Check out my NEWBORN Hats and Baby Items
@ http://www.facebook.com/ThePaisleyPerle

January 11th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Super Mommy
Leah - what is intrallipid therapy? My doctor hasn't mentioned it to me. By the way your daughter is adorable! I wish you the best of luck in your next round. I'll be on here following you :-)

The mock transfer was quick and easy and he also did the saline test to make sure the uterus is clear. They looked at the ovaries for cysts of which there were none so all in all he said everything looked great and we can proceed.

The nurse went over my calendar with me and my drugs arrived today. I started Metformin last night (I'm borderline PCOS) and the shots start Tuesday. I have an ultrasound next Saturday and a target retrieval date of January 25th. We are prepared to have to make tough gameday decisions based on the retrieval and fertilization results.

I'm so overwhelmed right now - I'm excited, I'm nervous, I'm choking back vomit since I paid for EVERYTHING yesterday, I'm scared if it works, I'm scared if it doesn't work, eek!

Thanks for listening ladies!!!
January 14th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Super Mommy
hi flhopeful!!! im sorry I've been absent

with me I am going in today to run some blood tests. I will let you know the names of the tests, & share the results with you. since 2008 I have been having lupus like symptoms. Its hard to diagnose since my blood is constantly changing. the new doc suspects an increased amount of natural killer cells. he told me I really should have gotten preg, I transferred 2 healthies & got 2 positive blood hcg tests. my lining looked good. he's thinking that my body is attacking the embies & they can not survive in such a hostile environment.

the new clinic charges soooo much for the genetic screening. the screening starts @ 4000 :/! the old clinic charged 3000. which is still crazy expensive! unfortunately both clinics do not discount for no insurance coverage.

"Thank you for sharing your experience with the testing. I think the money and waiting are worth the peace of mind knowing that you are using the healthiest embryo with the best shot at surviving is the number one reason to do it and yes, my age has me really concerned with downs. I have a friend with a lovely downs baby but she has terrible heart problems. That scares me. I don't want to sound like a bad person because this is such a fine ethical line..."

i DO NOT think in the slightest that you sound like a bad person! all future mommies want their babies to be healthy. when the embryologist told us we had a downs embie. my heart sank & it made me nervous about any future cycles.

i go in today to get my calendar. im soooo excited

i'm happy you were able to get in this month! that means good news for you even sooner
January 14th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Super Mommy
Fill us in on your calendar after your appointment. When will you get your blood results back? I'm sure they'll want that back before they totally put you through the ringer, right?

Holy hell that is a lot for the screening but it may be worth it in emotional dollars. My doc said that the screening can increase the odds to as high as 70% in the 35 and under group.

Thank you for your comments on screening too. I don't see how anyone could fault you for wanting the best health for your possible children.

I begin shooting up tonight - Gonal F and low dose hCG. I'm excited to get the ball rolling but sooo nervous about administering the shots again. We did it a bit in my last cycle but it was two shots for two nights - that's nothing compared to this!
January 14th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Super Mommy
hi flhopeful!!! my apt went great I love my new coordinator! she is like an angel. my calendar is so clear & 1 step further, color coordinated lol. today we found out that there is a minimal invasive screening that doesn't require freezing (includes testing for downs). because of our last down syndrome embie, we might proceed with the minimal testing. there are 3 levels of testing. i'm waiting to hear back how much the minimal screening will cost.

I wish I was starting to shoot up with you (I love your heroin talk ;D), but I wont start until next month. tentative ER is at the end of feb & ET 3/4/14. I checked an online ivf due date calculator, that puts me around 11/20/14. I really want to have a baby this year (2 babies would be even better!)

as far as your shots go, can you combine the 2 meds into 1 syringe? that's what hubby & I did for most of the meds last time. good luck with the shots!!! the meds are going to make perfect & healthy embies!!! <3

good luck!
amberbanegas likes this.
January 14th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Super Mommy
hi again! on the minimal side for fish they screen 5 chromosomes @ 3225. the other fish option is to do 12 chromosomes @ 4360.

did you find out from your clinic how much the screening is going to run?

that's all for now. I hope the shots weren't too bad!

good night
amberbanegas likes this.
January 15th, 2014, 08:08 AM
Super Mommy
A color-coordinated calendar sounds nice! There is sooo much on those calendars, I'm sure it's helpful. Interesting on the downs test - I'll have to ask them this weekend if they can do the minimal testing without freezing if I'm feeling impatient...which I am most of the time!

The shooting up jokes between me and DH are our way to make this process humorous even though all these shots stress us out. Just worrying about getting the doses right and is everything at the right temperature. Hopefully we'll get used to it by day 3 or 4.

Sounds like we may end up transferring close to the same time! Hopefully the time will go by quickly :-) I think the wait will be worth it for you since this clinic is so much better! November babies would be perfect for being more thankful than ever on Thanksgiving!
amberbanegas and april18 like this.
January 15th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Super Mommy
the lab that's doing the screening is called reprogenetics. I tried doing an online search about them, but I just found questions about them on different message boards. im going to try to get more info about the process from my coordinator.

yes, thanksgiving will have soooo much more to be thankful for! i'm praying that our embies are healthy & will turn into beautiful healthy babies . mommy club, here we come!

have a great night!
amberbanegas and flhopeful like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search