FET - transferring 2 embryos vs. 1? Increases or cuts the chance of pregnancy?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Alicja78
  • 3 Post By mrs.ceebee.0915
  • 3 Post By Jenlynn37
  • 2 Post By MandyEllen

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC by IVF LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2017, 03:57 AM
Hi ladies. I have a question in regards to your thoughts on FET - transferring TWO embryos vs. one. Which of you had 2 embryos transferred during FET - and did any of them implant, resulted in pregnancy, or failed?

Recently my friends forwarded an article to me, which said the recent study showed that '...Using TWO embryos for IVF could cut the chance of having a baby by 25% because the womb may reject them if one is of poor quality' - a study of almost 1500 embryos was carried out at Nurture Fertility clinic in Nottingham, UK.

From my own experience: in 2014 - FET, we had 2 embryos transferred - none of them implanted.
2016 - again, FET - 2 embryos transferred - none of them implanted (thankfully, we have a wonderful 1-year old son from the same fresh cycle).

This year we'll be undergoing another FET (still have 3 frozen embryos) and was thinking about transferring 2 of them. But after reading about this study, I'm contemplating having just 1 transferred (since we already failed twice, after 2-embryo transfers).

Which of you had 2 embryos transferred during FET - and did they implant? And 2nd question, if it's not too much to ask, how old were you at the time of transfer? (I'll be 39 by the time of my next FET). Thank you for your help and good luck!

Last edited by Alicja78; January 11th, 2017 at 04:01 AM.
January 11th, 2017, 06:39 AM
I am interested in this too. Did you have your embryos tested?
my RE has a very high success rate. Initially I thought have 1 FET first (hopefully a baby will result) and then 18months later (that's how long he said you have to wait b/w pregnancy and next FET), have 2 put in, being okay with twins if it happened.

my DH pointed out maybe we should try the 2 FET first (i'll be 41 by the time the baby would be born) instead of waiting until i'm 43 to have twins potentially.

So I'm curious--for those who have had their embryos PGD/PGS and then implanted 2 at FET--did you have success? one or two?

thanks in advance! and good luck to you Alicja78 as well!!
January 11th, 2017, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firequeen View Post
I am interested in this too. Did you have your embryos tested?
my RE has a very high success rate. Initially I thought have 1 FET first (hopefully a baby will result) and then 18months later (that's how long he said you have to wait b/w pregnancy and next FET), have 2 put in, being okay with twins if it happened.

my DH pointed out maybe we should try the 2 FET first (i'll be 41 by the time the baby would be born) instead of waiting until i'm 43 to have twins potentially.

So I'm curious--for those who have had their embryos PGD/PGS and then implanted 2 at FET--did you have success? one or two?

thanks in advance! and good luck to you Alicja78 as well!!
Firequeen, no I haven't had my embryos tested, I haven't been offered this service at the time. As for PGD/PGS, I don't even know what those abbreviations mean, oooops I'd better look it up!

All I know is that my embryos transferred 2.5 months ago were the following grades: 5BB, 6BC, and the remaining 3 frozen embies are 4BB, 3AB, 3BB.
My fertility clinic, Bourn Hall in Cambridge also has a great reputation, and from what I know, quite high success rates, but I do wish I hadn't transferred 2 embryos the last time :-/

With my son, we had only 1 transferred (fresh cycle).

Well, I hope some more ladies reply, sharing their experiences on the subject! Thanks for replying and best of luck!!
Firequeen likes this.
January 11th, 2017, 01:05 PM
mrs.ceebee.0915's Avatar fingers crossed...
Hi ladies! I have never done an FET, just a fresh IVF cycle, so I am not sure if there is truly a difference in that sense (pith the question asked - obviously I know there is a difference in IVF vs FET). But what my doctor has said to us, is that if 2 embryos are transferred, while yes if one embryo is rejected, there IS a chance that both will be rejected, it is not a guaranteed situation. My clinic also has a very good reputation and very good SART data, but my doctor says he has seen many successful pregnancies from transferring 2 embryos (whether resulting in a singleton or multiples). He does not transfer 3 embryos (with very few exceptions) as he feels the chance for multiples and people reducing is not worth the chance of a high risk pregnancy and termination of a life. He told us our chances are just as good of having a singleton transferring 1 or 2 embryos vs 3. I did a LOT of research before our actual cycle started on the pros and cons of transferring 1 vs 2 embryos, and honestly, all the stuff I read did not make it seem that transferring 2 would hinder our chance of getting pregnant. In the end, he allowed us to choose how many embryos to transfer (1 or 2), and we chose to transfer 2. I got pregnant from that cycle with our son and he is now 16mo old, so transferring 2 embryos can result in a pregnancy, no problem!

I wish you both the best as you move forward with your FET'S! We have a little group started to cheer each other one and answer questions for ladies cycling in January or February if you'd like to join us! Even if you aren't cycling til later, sometimes it is fun to cheer each other on and learn answers to some questions we didn't even know we had about IVF and FET cycles. Good luck to you both!!
Firequeen, Alicja78 and JayClii like this.

ttc and start our family since august 2011 <3

and now we are 3.

hoping for a little as we gear up to cycle in Feb/March 2017!
January 11th, 2017, 01:16 PM
Veteran
Hi ladies...I have just been lurking lately but thought I would chime in too on this topic. I had a fresh cycle in 2014 when I was 32 that resulted in my daughter (we transferred two embryos that time). I had my first FET when she was 8 months old, transferring two excellent grade embryos, which failed. This last July, we transferred our last two embryos, one excellent grade and the other not quite as good of quality, resulting in my current pregnancy with a singleton. We didn't have PGD testing done.

Best of luck to you all with your FETs. Like Mrs.Ceebee said, there are some wonderful ladies in the jan/feb thread...I hope to see some BFPs on the board soon!!!

January 12th, 2017, 06:07 AM
MandyEllen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My daughter resulted from transferring 2 day 3 embryos. It was a twin pregnancy, but the other baby miscarried at around 11 weeks.
She was my 4th IVF and we've done two more since her. She is the only pregnancy I've ever had. I asked my RE about transferring two embryos this cycle to up my chances, but she strongly suggests only transferring one. I am going to go with her professional opinion. This is most likely our last try at getting pregnant, even though we have 7 embryos. The cost is just too much. That's why I was asking to transfer two to up my chances. Well, we'll go with one and pray for a BFP!
mrs.ceebee.0915 and Alicja78 like this.

Mom of DD age 3
Due 2/1/18 with Baby #2
February 28th, 2017, 04:38 PM
Hi ladies
Done my 1st FET 2/21...3 frosties/day3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search