A meal sized taco soup!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Main Dishes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 12th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Veteran
Here's a recipe I just tested out today, it was sooo faboulous and filling! I hope you like it! Let me know what you think!

5-6 cups chicken broth*
2 cups shredded chicken*
1 can mixed beans
1 can white kidney beans
1 can drained diced tomatoes
˝ green bell pepper chopped
˝ red bell pepper chopped
1 stock celery chopped
1 green onion chopped
1 medium red onion chopped
2 carrots chopped
4 cloves garlic (you can use less, but I love the garlicky goodness)
1 package taco seasoning
Dash Oregano
Dash Chili flakes
1 can creamed corn
Juice of ˝ lime, or more if you like
Black pepper to taste
Salt to taste
2 tbsp corn flour (masa harina – you can leave this out if you don’t have it… but it tastes so good, and thickens the soup.)

Toppings:
hot sauce or salsa
Sour cream
Grated cheddar cheese
Nachos!

Combine ingredients, except for the last five, in a large pot. Cook until veggies are tender and soup begins to thicken up a bit, stirring constantly so things don’t stick or burn. This should take about 20 minutes or so. Next, give it a quick run through with a potato masher until about half your beans are mashed. Add the creamed corn and lime juice. Stir. Remove about ˝ cup of the soup, and mix your corn flour into the reserved soup, until it doesn’t have any flour lumps. Return mixture to the pot and give it a good stir. Cook for about 5 more minutes, remove from heat. Next is the most important step: ladle a large quantity into a big bowl, top with salsa, sour cream, cheddar and nachos – then enjoy!!

**note: I make my own chicken broth; get a big chicken, skin it, remove the breasts and the legs and reserve them in the freezer for later use… then take what’s left (the bones with some meat and wings attached) and simmer it for 2 hours in a big pot full of water, a bay leaf, oregano, rosemary, onion skins, carrot peels, garlic skins & celery tops. Strain the soup and let your chicken cool down, then pull all the meat off the bones and shred.

Use that broth and chicken in the same big ol’ pot to make this soup. If you do this, you don't need to add extra oregano to the soup...

Another note (lol) I like to serve this with "Tortilla Flacas" which are like mexican grilled cheese sandwich triangles, mmm. To make them, microwave a clove of garlic for 30 seconds, mince it, and mince a few pickled jalepenos. Place a flour tortilla on a heated frying pan, and sprinkle the garlic and jalepenos onto the tortilla. Next, spread out a great big handful of "nacho" style shredded cheese (mozza, chedder, jack...) ontop. Top the whole thing off with another tortilla. Wait a minute, and flip the sandwich over. Once the cheese is melted, flip the sandwich onto a cutting board and cut into 6 triangles. mmm. tastey.

btw I nuke the garlic so you don't get the nasty garlic breath aftermath, lol!
April 23rd, 2010, 09:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
This is sooo good!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search