Porcupine Meatballs

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Main Dishes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 15th, 2004, 07:12 AM
YankeeMom
Porcupine Meatballs
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. ground sausage (I prefer Jimmy Dean)
1 raw egg
1/2 cup uncooked, long-grain rice - not minute rice. I prefer Uncle Bens.
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 small white onion, chopped
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce (forgive me, I can't spell that word)
Salt and Pepper
2 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley - or 2 tsp. dried
1 Tsp. dried oregano

Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Your hands are best for this! Then form into meatballs. I like mine to be about 1 1/2 - 2 in. in diameter. Place on a waxed paper lined plate and chill in the refrigerator for about 1/2 hour.
Heat a large skillet and add about 2 good tsp. of olive oil. Place the meatballs in and brown on all sides- do not cook all the way through. Remove the meatballs to a plate. In the same pan, add 1 cup sliced mushrooms and salt and pepper them. Saute' them in the good stuff left in the pan - lol - and sprinkle with 2 Tbs. flour. Pour in about 3 cups milk (or cream) and be sure to scrape up any bits from the bottom of the pan. Let this mixture come to a boil and thicken slightly.
At this point, place the meatballs and any juices from the plate back in the pan right in the gravy and simmer - covered - for about 45 minutes, or until cooked through.
You can also place the meatballs in a large baking dish, pour the "gravy" over and place in a 350 oven for 45 minutes.
------
June 15th, 2004, 08:01 AM
Faith's Avatar Super Mommy
You've tried these then? Are they good? I keep seeing the recipe and thinking I should try it but never do.
June 15th, 2004, 12:21 PM
YankeeMom
Quote:
Originally posted by cp_momof4@Jun 15 2004, 10:01 AM
You've tried these then? Are they good? I keep seeing the recipe and thinking I should try it but never do.
These are one of my kids FAVORITE meals
The love that when the rice cooks, it pokes out of the meatballs...hence the name "porcupines" I've also made them in leftover BBQ sauce (from BBQ ribs in the crockpot). Those are my favorite!!
June 15th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Faith's Avatar Super Mommy
I'll have to try them then ... I think my kids would love them!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search