We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
Ham and Bean Soup (this stuff is to die for, you will wish you had a bigger pot to make more! I used left over Easter Ham to make this!)
HEADS UP! This recipe requires a very little night before prep:
1 pound bag of dry beans- I recommend 15 bean mix
4- 6 cups water- I recommend chicken stock instead of water
1/2 teaspoon salt (omit salt if using chicken stock)
1 ham hock
1 cup chopped carrots
1/2 stalk celery, chopped
1 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon mustard powder
2 bay leaves
2 cups chopped ham
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1. Place the beans in a large bowl and fill the bowl with water so that an inch of water stands above the beans. Leave the beans in a cat-proof place (lesson learned!) to soak overnight.
1. Rinse the beans, sorting out any broken or discolored ones.
2. Add all ingredients to your crockpot, adding water/chicken stock last and pouring in enough so that you have an inch or two of room at the top. Stir all ingredients together well. Finally top off with more water or chicken stock to the fill line or just below the rim.
3. Cook for 8 hours on HIGH.
4. Remove the ham bone and bay leaves before serving.
This recipe is amazing comfort food or winter dinner!