stepkids visiting in hospital.......

Forum: Blended Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blended Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 7th, 2005, 05:06 PM
steph1989's Avatar Super Mommy
Did any of you ladies have your stepkids (stepkids that don't live with you....that visit every other weekend) visit you and your new baby in hospital after you delivered/ or if you are pregnant will you allow steps to visit?

The hospital says that siblings are allowed to visit because they live in same household.....but what about stepkids that don't live with you? My stepson is sick a lot........my fear is him giving germs to baby. do you think it's safe to have stepkid that doesn't live with you visit in hospital and hold your newborn baby?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.......thanks.
Benjamin Patrick was born on January 26, 2006 at 6:31 PM! 7 lbs. 11.4 oz. 20 1/2"

April 6, 2006 will be our 4th Wedding Anniversary!

December 8th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My stepkids live with us but they did come to the hospital to see their baby sister. I just try to get them to not kiss her face or breathe on her up close since they keep getting sick from school. But they are so eager to help out with the baby!

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
</a>
December 8th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Wow.......your baby is absolutely gorgeous!
Benjamin Patrick was born on January 26, 2006 at 6:31 PM! 7 lbs. 11.4 oz. 20 1/2"

December 16th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Wow.......your baby is absolutely gorgeous![/b]
Thank You!

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
</a>
December 20th, 2005, 11:57 AM
jodi16ss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it is very important that you include your stepchildren just as much as you would your own children. As long as the child isn't sick then I don't see what the problem would be. I understand we have to be careful about germs around newborns. But... the family friend or relative that holds the baby right befor the stepson comes in may have just as many germs as the boy..

Try to include them just as much as possible. They need to feel important and not left out as well. Just my opinion!

Proud Mommy to Jackson (5/1/03) & Isabella (6/16/06)
January 4th, 2006, 12:11 PM
I definitely want to include stepson.........don't want him to feel left out, but I am scared to death that he may pass germs to my baby. Children are magnets to germs........not like adults.

January 8th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Regular
My SD that doesnt live with us didnt come to the hospital. If she could have, she was definatley welcome. DD was born in the middle of the week.

I agree with including the step kids as much as possible. I made everybody wash their hands before holding my new baby. It's already a huge adjustment adding a baby, you dont want them to feel jealous or resentful of the baby.
January 20th, 2006, 10:41 PM
gtsscott's Avatar Veteran
My hubs went and got stepdaughter to come to the hospital with our two.

As long as he washes his hands and cover his mouth if he coughs than bub will be fine.

Germs are a part of life, you can't protect them from it and it help to build immunity. Don't stress. Once stepson is there and holding bub...all your thoughts about germs will fly out the window. Kids need to bond with their siblings just as mich as mum and dad do

January 22nd, 2006, 09:25 PM
mudholemama
Quote:
I definitely want to include stepson.........don't want him to feel left out, but I am scared to death that he may pass germs to my baby. Children are magnets to germs........not like adults.[/b]
I agree...my DSD is always sick right before she comes to visit and I'm
a freak when it comes to germs also.

Like I told DH, if my DS was sick, I would "quarentine" him from his
younger siblings. So if DSD is sick also, then I would play it safe as well:
no kissing, no breathing on the face....etc.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search