O/T school aged children

Forum: Blended Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blended Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 6th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Daisyfields's Avatar Platinum Super Mega Mommy
My DS is starting 2nd grade soon (can't believe it)... we've yet to do any shopping. I have to go, I need to get him clothes & supplies but was told by the school that his new teacher would send us a letter w/ supplies that she wanted us to get the children. I've yet to receive any letter from anyone & school is starting in less than a month's time. Thankfully I don't have to worry about my DSS, his mother takes care of that. I wish my DH would do this stuff. Why is it always a gal's job to do the shopping, doctor's apts., the bills? Seriously... it's like they get to go to work, come home, & play w/ the kids. I'd like to have it that easy. (sorry, little rant there)

Sigh...

Any one else out there have yet to do the school shopping for your kids?

August 6th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Veteran
Grrr....this is a very frustrating subject for me right now. I have Chan (DS) going into 6th grade, Parker (DS) into 1st (repeating), Sky (DSD) going into 2nd we split the lists with their other parents. Then we have Elias (ours) going into pre-K. Chan, Park, and Eli are all in the same school district and have ridiculously long lists and start school next Tues. Sky goes to a different district and has a very short list but doesn't start until the end of Aug.

Silly me thought, "I will just pick things up here and there, clothes and supplies, and not wait and do it all at once" Stupid me because this has turned into nothing but chaos. I have no idea who has what and who needs what. So tonight I am printing out all of the lists, checking off what they have and making a pile of clothes supplies for each kid to determine what we are lacking. Next year, I will wait until the lists are out and do it all in one weekend. Now we have to spend the weekend before school starts for the boys at the mall getting clothes and backpacks and at Wal-Mart or Target getting the supplies. GRRRRRRRRRR............................ I too wish that DH had to do some of this stuff!!!
August 6th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
This is my 1st year doing the supply list. Since Lucy was in private kindergarten last year, we didn't have to do anything.

I so hate it!!!!! And I work full-time to boot. I went to Walmart on my lunch yesterday & was so annoyed! Every mom & their kids were there. It was a zoo! I don't have time for this!

Next year I'm going to pay more & order through the PTA. So much easier!

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
August 7th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I hate Wal-Mart, not the prices but how much of a zoo it is. I can't go, I literally have panic attacks, no lie. I went to a Super Wal-Mart for the first time the other day & not only were there not as much food selection, but the cost for their food was higher than Hannaford, I was shocked! I thought Wal-Mart was suppose to be the cheapest & turns out they're not. Target isn't as cheap either but at least the place isn't so jam-packed w/ people & you can find a parking spot. I shop on-line a lot. I have issues w/ large places & lots of people, major phobia which is weird b/c years ago I wasn't like that, now unless the place is quiet, I can't be there. I get nervous & distracted & end up leaving my cart in the isle w/ everything there & just going home.

August 7th, 2008, 11:19 AM
JustBecca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to JustBecca
I haven't gotten the supply lists yet but I have picked up a few things. I am waiting on the school and they need to hurry up with it because I have to go next week or it will not get done. I have a 2nd and 3rd grader and it is stupid how much stuff they need. Last year in 2nd grade for Sadie they wanted 48 pencils...48 what are they going to do with 48 pencils from 25 kids????

Thank you ~* Helen *~ for the best all about me siggie! You are absolutely fabulous!
August 8th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I haven't gotten the supply lists yet but I have picked up a few things. I am waiting on the school and they need to hurry up with it because I have to go next week or it will not get done. I have a 2nd and 3rd grader and it is stupid how much stuff they need. Last year in 2nd grade for Sadie they wanted 48 pencils...48 what are they going to do with 48 pencils from 25 kids????[/b]
I know that's insane!!!!!

We need 40 SHARPENED pencils. So guess what I'll be doing next weekend

August 10th, 2008, 01:25 PM
They were big on "glue-sticks", my kid needed 20 glue sticks per month, I thought "what on earth do they need all that glue for?" I dunno... makes no sense to me.

August 10th, 2008, 01:31 PM
So I was sitting here thinking that I had over a month because school didn't start until the 9th of September. Nope it starts on the 2nd. I am going to get the rest of the things that I didn't get on sale a few weeks ago. They had thinks for like .20 and .50 so I got a bunch of notebooks and glue sticks and paper so I will get everything else this weekend. I still have no idea who their teachers are though and that is a little annoying. We have open house on the 28th so I want to bring all their stuff that day so that the first day is not so crazy.

Thank you ~* Helen *~ for the best all about me siggie! You are absolutely fabulous!
August 11th, 2008, 10:21 AM
You're lucky, school starts before Labor day in Mass., stupid, they go to school on Tues., Wed., & Thurs., & then have Fri. & Mon. off...then half days the following, why even bother? Annoys me.

August 11th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Blondzilla
Quote:
You're lucky, school starts before Labor day in Mass., stupid, they go to school on Tues., Wed., & Thurs., & then have Fri. & Mon. off...then half days the following, why even bother? Annoys me.[/b]
HAH! Got ya all beat! We start on the 19th of AUGUST! It's a little different for us since our kids are in high school and they have "rules" regarding what they can and cannot have in school--last year it was no 3 ring binders or backpacks--this year who knows? So we can't even get most of the stuff other than paper, pencils and pens until the first day when they're given a list of musts and must nots. CRAZY!
August 11th, 2008, 06:01 PM
No backpacks...well that is just dumb. My kids usually destroy their backpacks within two weeks so this year I made them messenger bags. They love them and I know my work so they are going to hold up. I am still waiting on who their teachers are but I guess they feel like that is not important..ha

August 12th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Blondzilla
Quote:
No backpacks...well that is just dumb. My kids usually destroy their backpacks within two weeks so this year I made them messenger bags. They love them and I know my work so they are going to hold up. I am still waiting on who their teachers are but I guess they feel like that is not important..ha[/b]
The "NO BACKPACKS" rule was because weapons can be carried in backpacks. Apparently with high school aged kids, they have not yet learned to carry weapons under those big, baggy shirts so we know we are safe now that Tori carries her papers and folders in her arms and her feminine supplies are carefully tucked in her purse--which she would not carry at all if she had a backpack to put things in! Oh, and the idea here was that the kids would have two sets of boocks--one at home and one which stays inside the classroom. The only problem is that most of the classrooms don't have enough books and there are some classes where NONE of the kids have books at home! So, homework has to be done at school for the most part and it is nearly impossible for her to study for tests since most of her handouts get lost because she can't carry them all around with her since she has no backpack! We're not in an inner city school, either. This is suburbia...granted not Hollywood but certainly not Harlem either. Because we don't have state taxes here in Florida, we rely on your vacation dollars to help fund schools and whatnot. With the gas prices being what they have been in recent years and certainly this year, we've been coming up a little short for those frivilous things like books for schools. I don't know about where you all live but here teachers are financially responsible for everything in their classes beyond the books and bare minimum supplies. So, when they ask for supplies it's usually because they're having to foot the bill for these things and of course, they ask for more because some parents don't contribute any supplies. All those pretty decorations that welcome you into the classroom on parent's night are bought and paid for by your child's teacher. All those construction paper projects that your child proudly brings home, were also funded by the teacher. It might not cost much to fund one child's project but can you imagine funding all 20-25 or more? Weekly? It cuts into that takehome pay big time! In all likelihood, your child's teacher is sending out those orders for pencils and gluesticks to one parent and other supplies are sent to other parents so you may supply the pencils for the class while another parent supplies the kleenex and another supplies the crayons etc. The alternative is for the teacher to supply it all or your child not to get to make those precious projects they make and are so proud of. It's a small price to pay for that look on their little faces!
August 12th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Every child gets the same list. Our teachers get a set amount of money for their class room each year. I believe that it is $250. I KNOW that is not enough to fund a class but it is better than nothing. My thing though is that I can barely afford the school supplies as it is so I can not do more. Through out the year we get notes home with what they need in class and I always get something even if it is a box of tissues or paper towels. I guess that my problem is that they should send the list of the things that we need and then on top of that ask for extras IF we can afford it...rather than expect it. Last year I was able to do more because a friend of mine bought all my kids school supplies. That was the best gift ever. This year is going to be even tighter for us because I am done with school lunches. My kids have allergies and the school was horrible about not giving them food that they couldn't have. So this year they will be bringing their lunches from home so that I know that they are only eatting what they are allowed to eat.

August 12th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to GinaOfAllTrades
School starts on the 18th of this month here. Thankfully, we found out who their teachers are on the last day of school. It is put on their report cards and they also sent a supply list. Walmart also has the lists there too. Most of the supplies are bought I think I have 2 boxes of Kleenex to buy and that is it. I bought them LL Bean bookbags because they have a 100% guarantee on them so if they break we get new ones.
We are holding off on buying school clothes until fall when it gets a little cooler and TJ's dad is "suppose" to be buying him some clothes this weekend, we will see
August 13th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ok so this is my 1st experience with public school & it sucks!

We start the 21st. They had an information night on Monday. I was surprised that although we know the name of Lucy's teacher, we didn't get to meet her. So my 6 year old is with a complete stranger for 6 1/2 hours a day and I don't even get to meet her before class starts?????? I just don't get that.

As far as school lunches, our school doesn't offer them. They don't have a cafeteria. So it's bring your lunch every day. For the most part, that's ok with me. Lucy is a picky eater so I planned on mostly bringing her lunch anyway. It's just weird.

And to top it off, we of course have a weird situation this year. DH is adopting Lucy & it won't be final until October 28th. The principal said that they would call her by her new last name but when I looked at the class roster, it was her old last name

I spoke with the principal about it & she was like "Nobody will ask questions" ***???? What planet is she on?????

This is a world where a complete stranger walked up to my 2 year old in a grocery story and said directly to him "You're too old for that binky" OMG and you think kids & parents aren't going to say "How come you have a different name now?"

I get that legally we have to use the old name until we have official documents but she led me to believe that everything visiable would have the new name. Oy!

Sorry for the rant. It just came flowing out. I should have started a new thread )))) (my smilies are going really slow)

August 13th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I think that I would be annoyed to not get to meet the teacher. You should have a right to do that. I do not get a bus for my kids so I drop off and pick up everyday. I see their teachers everyday. We have an open house at our school and that is when we meet the teachers and that is when if their are any extras that need to be bought we are told about. I would take her in on the first day and meet the teacher and tell her about the last name thing. I have a friend whos daughter goes by her middle name and everything with her school stuff has Alex on it and not Merideth. I think that she will be more than happy to change things around if you talk to her about it.

August 13th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to GinaOfAllTrades
I agree with Becca. Also on the name thing, the teacher should be ok with it. It is kinda just like the nickname thing. Both my sons go by a different name. Alex is short for his middle name and TJ is just initials, the J doesn't even stand for anything at all.
August 14th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am going to take her on the 1st day but I just don't like that is the 1st time I'm going to meet her. Me & 16 other parents

Lucy won't bus either but I work fulltime so the nanny will normally take her. So I won't get to see the teacher. That's not what I'm used to. But I have no choice.

I tried to email her but the email address listed on the school site bounced.

The principle told me that she can go by the new name but I didn't want the other students & parents to even see the old name. I just don't have a warm fuzzy that it's going to happen as smooth as I would like. It's a little different from a nickname because the last name is a legal thing...

Oh well, we'll just go with the flow!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search