So over insurance companies...

Forum: Blended Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blended Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 20th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Daisyfields's Avatar Platinum Super Mega Mommy
We had a major ice storm here in MA, if you didn't hear. It affected us big time. Still fighting w/ insurance companies. Always a pleasure, they love to take your money every month but when you need their help they don't want to help you. They're giving us $500 to remove our trees, that's bogus considering to remove our trees the lowest quote we got was $3500.00, I guess we have to come up w/ $3k? That doesn't include the damage to our shed, then to replace our children play set, our exterior damages, the car damages, all our lost food, the flooding our basement, the list goes on.

The adjuster that I met w/ a month ago, who was condescending came back w/ a figure that was NOT good so I asked to speak w/ HIS supervisor. I asked why he wouldn't cover our generator, the cost for the gas in our generator etc., he said "you could have gone to a hotel, we would have paid for that, but you didn't and your house was livable & no wires were ripped off your house" WHAT? uh.. "yes they were, why do you think we had no power for weeks?" he said "we'll have to talk to your town"... I replied "I have photographs, does that help?" he said "I'll need to talk to the utility companies too" I said "I have photographs of the utility company setting up camp in my driveway restoring power to my house!" He proceeded to call me a liar. Said and I quote "This makes your credibility go down Chantelle"... I said "what do you mean?" he claimed that there was no such thing that an electric company would EVER set up ON a person's property OR that our poles were down & our wires were ripped out of our house. Uh... okay... I guess maybe in the past utility companies wouldn't normally do this but in the case where trees were all over the ground & we had what looked like a war zone on our streets/towns, perhaps the USUAL protocol went out the window because THAT DID HAPPEN in MY DRIVEWAY/YARD. Thankfully I had taken over 200 pix & they included the electric company camped out ON MY DRIVEWAY "and" my poles on the ground etc.

I said to him "WHAT'S YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS!!!?!?!?!?!" I was crying & shaking at the same time. He said "what? excuse me?" I said again "DO YOU HAVE AN EMAIL ADDRESS SO I CAN SEND YOU PHOTOS???" after he gave it to me he put me on hold & came back & said "we aim to give the best service, generally utility companies do not set up to repair utility lines on...." I cut him off "so you SEE the utility vehicles all over my yard? you SEE my mini-van license plate #_____ next to it? you SEE that?" he said "we aim to give the best service...." again I cut him off "YOUR NOT GOING TO DO IT!!! YOUR NOT GOING TO APOLOGIZE FOR CALLING ME A LIAR!" I started crying even harder. I hung up.

I called the people who carries our policies, talked to her & explained what happened as I stumbled in tears. She couldn't believe my words. He called HER back & said "we didn't realize that it was so bad there, we're willing to give her an extra $250 for her troubles"...

Oh... great, just great, $250, yeah... that outta really help w/ the $3k, now I'll only have to come up w/ $2500.00 instead of $3k, right? Yeah... just keep the darn money. What ever. Waste of my freaking breath.

I am so upset. Oh... here are the pix of the utility companies IN MY DRIVEWAY... thought I'd share just in case anyone JM thought I was full of it too & never heard of a utility company setting up camp on a person's property to repair damages. They do. Sorry, I am just so freaking upset. I do NOT like insurance people. Bunch of jerks.

This is the truck backing into MY driveway, I took this photo from my dining room window.

This is the truck IN MY driveway, the pic is taken from my bedroom window.

There's the truck again, as you can see... they have put a nice, new, lovely, black wire going to my house...

And here's the truck again in my yard, you can see the men in orange suits hanging around.

~C
January 20th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Christy72
Oh my!! I am so sorry. What company do you have (if you don't mind). Is there another adjuster you can talk to?
January 21st, 2009, 03:53 AM
We use a large company for our home but this wasn't them that I had a problem w/ as a result of them doing our claim, it was the adjuster, it was a guy from SFMc Adjusters & Appraisers, the guy/adjuster was the one who had discussed my "credibility" w/ the insurance company, hence making me look REALLY bad... for what ever reason. So when I asked to talk to a supervisor about the #'s the adjuster came back w/ the supervisor had already formed an opinion about me, which clearly was horrible. I don't know why b/c when I met w/ the adjuster, well... he was rude & mean but on the phone he was nice. He showed up & as soon as I handed the adjuster my reports from Quickbooks as well as the receipts as well as several tree removal appraisals, he had a different "attitude" towards me. I think he "thought" I'd be one of the persons (b/c there are lots, this happened to thousands of people across Massachusetts & New Hampshire), that I'd just say "oh, I have damage, have a nice day"... and let HIM tell me a # & I'd say "fine"... they cut a check for what ever they THOUGHT I'd be fine w/ & then go on to the next house. Well, since my information of reports were down to every last drop/dime that we had spent, I'm talking candles to see, money for the laundry (since we couldn't do it at the house & we had to do it w/ all the boys & both of us), he probably thought "oh, she knows what she's doing, she's not dumb"... and then got irritated, I don't know.

They are quick to take your $ every month, and we've been VERY faithful in paying them, month after month after month for 3 years now & when we had a natural disaster happen, something that was out of our control, not an isolated incident, something that happened to our entire town, and surrounding towns, I get treated like dog-poo? Sorry but I am taking my business ELSEWHERE... I am getting my chump-change that they claim is GENEROUS & I am finding another company. I hope I never have to use them, I hope something like this never has to happen to us again, and from what I understand, it probably wont, but I certainly don't want to give a company who calls me a liar & all sorts of other things my hard earned $ anymore. No sir/m'am. I cannot wait to write a formal letter of complaint to their company, the carrier's company, the BBB & this adjuster's boss' company. I will, believe me, I will... I will leave no stone unturned either, I will include ALL 200+ photos & I will make sure they see how they neglected ME, my family, my children & how they abused our $ etc., etc., etc.... I know I am rambling, I am just so super irritated. They have balls to treat people this way. As if I wanted to spend my holiday month, in the cold, w/ a 1 year old (he turned 1 on the actual date that this happened to us), a 2 year old, an 8 year old, my DH w/ no electric/heat/hot-water, phone, yeah... that was exactly what WE wanted to do for December/Christmas. They are a bunch of jerks, blood sucking, money hungry jerks.

January 21st, 2009, 04:04 AM
<span style="font-family:Georgia">Sorry if I sounded like a big old jerk guys. I am not trying to take it out on you ladies. I am just so over this. I want to be done w/ it all but it's hard to, it's like I have to relive it honestly & now it's frustrating b/c the insurance people SHOULD BE on our side, but they are the exact opposite & it's hard to swallow. I just can't believe that people treat people this way. Had this been an isolated incident, perhaps I'd understand the scrutiny in this whole ordeal but it wasn't & it's EVERYONE on my street in in my town & in our surrounding towns, and a state as well. Our governor declared as state of ER, this has been highly televised on the news, the President/Bush (not Obama) granted us aid & declared this a severe devastation. Our governor flew over our area to see the devastation, we had the national guard here, I just don't see how the insurance companies can justify this when this happened to us. Is this how it's suppose to be? Really? My kids are STILL not able to play in our yard, we have trees that are unsafe, could come down at any point & either chop off a head, come through a window/house or fall on a passing vehicle. My kids could be hit as they walk across the street to their school bus, the tree (city tree) is hanging. I've called the tree warden (yes there is such a thing) & explained my concerns, I went to a town meeting, I ended up on TV (had no idea until I got home) to once again, declare my concerns about the trees that could hurt the kids. Not the $ but the potential injuries. Still no one cares. Why? What's it going to take? Now we can't afford to remove our own trees, we have to be prisoners in our home? Our kids can't play in the yard? This isn't right. </span>
January 21st, 2009, 06:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to GinaOfAllTrades
I am so sorry you are going through this. I haven't watched the news in awhile (other than yesterday with the inauguration and all) so I had no idea about all the bad weather up there. I am glad that you and your family are alright.

As for the insurance company, have you spoke to any of your neighbors to see if they have the same company and if they have gotten the same treatment? Maybe it is not just you that they are being pricks to, which I am positive this is not just a fluke. Seems like this company has lost their customer service skills.

Again, I am sorry to hear about all this.
January 21st, 2009, 11:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Chantelle,

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. Insurance companies are a PIA. I hope you get it resolved soon!

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
January 22nd, 2009, 01:34 PM
Christy72
Dang Chantelle. I work for an insurance Co. A large insurance Co, so I wondered. I would try to talk to someone else. this is BS. We have Country Insurance and we had a pipe burst under our master bath and over our garage. We had a bunch of tools and stuff in the gargage. The cut me a check for over $2000 which included our $1000 deductible. I was so suprised we got that much. Dh did all the work himself and so we actually made money on the deal. That said there has to be something you can do. This is just wrong.
February 2nd, 2009, 01:40 PM
I used to work for Liberty Mutual..year's ago. I never remember this sort of stuff happening but I don't think claims like this came across my desk either. But I was more in the Marketing Department at the end.

I ended up settling w/ the stupid amount that my dumb company gave us. I talked to more people, higher up, bosses & supervisors, cried...begged, yelled, showed pictures, you name it. Nothing worked. They do not care. Literally, do not. I told my DH the moment this check is cashed, I am getting another home owners insurance, we're done. I am not going to give one more dime to a place that has this attitude or treatment towards people like this. The letter I got was "it was a pleasure speaking to you Chantelle....." all this B.S. as if we had a good conversation, this is the same dude that called me a LIAR! What conversation did he remember? Cause that conversation did NOT go well, I was crying & it didn't end well either. Nothing pleasurable about it. Freaking joke.

I don't mind paying good money to people as long as I get good service, but when you overpay for stuff (and in this case I REALLY was overpaying for our insurance b/c we just didn't shop around), and then get treated like dog poo, sorry, they lost me as a customer/consumer. I am writing a detailed letter to the company as to WHY I am no longer wanting their services. I am going to report them too. The whole nine.

The rep that I deal w/ for other things said "I hate to make you relive the experience"... cause that's just it, the experience of living w/ no power, in the cold, in December, during the holidays, was not a fun experience, it was pure hell. Now, when they say "possible power outages, I am a nervous wreck, I'll never, ever, for as long as I live, be the same after that. You can't be. The experience is traumatic, PTSD in a big way.

I fear for stuff to happen. I see trees & I duck, I hear the sounds of the trees breaking & falling, a sound only one that experienced could understand still in my nightmares. I drive down my road & trees will fall, just out of now where, no wind, nothing, just fall, and I think "that could have come through our roof of our mini-van" which has all glass, it's one large glass view, that new 360 degree view stuff, which could take out my baby or kid's head, kill them.

This is something that has traumatized a lot of people. There are children that are having a hard time w/ this. My son's friend down the street has been having "accidents" in his pants, he's 9, since this incident & has to sleep w/ the light on & has night terrors. This is not a fun deal & then to have to fight for money to remove debris that is about to hurt people or break more things, well... it's sad is what it is. We had another tree fall, caused more damage to our window over the weekend. That is not included in our claim, we're fixing that ourselves. It's never ending, and I can guarantee you that the issues will continue as the year progresses.

I don't want to compare my issues to Katrina, we're no where near that, but now I realize why there are people STILL living in mobile homes & still have no money for fixing their homes. I get it, b/c insurance companies aren't helping. FEMA doesn't care, we've already dealt w/ that, the city can't help, they have no money, the sate has no money, the list goes on. It will never be the same.

February 2nd, 2009, 06:39 PM
TallyGirl22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow what a mess! I am so sorry you had to go thru that. You're right tho - I'm from Florida and have had several friends/family members affected by hurricanes... you pay your premium every month on time but when you need them, are they there for you? NOPE!

I hope you can get it all settled and I'm sorry again!

Happy 5th Birthday to my princess Elizabeth!

[/CENTER]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search