hyphenating names

Forum: Blended Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blended Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 22nd, 2006, 08:26 AM
~Katie~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am married and have 2 kids from a previous relationship and theirdad agreed to let me hyphenate our kids names to my married name so that we will all have the same name and me and my dh are on our 2nd baby together. Does anyone know how it works? I know I need to get ahold of vital records but what would I say and go about doing it. I live 15hrs away from our home state do to my dh being in the military.
February 23rd, 2006, 05:07 PM
maximabella's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to maximabella Send a message via MSN to maximabella Send a message via Yahoo to maximabella
Quote:
I am married and have 2 kids from a previous relationship and theirdad agreed to let me hyphenate our kids names to my married name so that we will all have the same name and me and my dh are on our 2nd baby together. Does anyone know how it works? I know I need to get ahold of vital records but what would I say and go about doing it. I live 15hrs away from our home state do to my dh being in the military.[/b]

you mean to get it changed legally?
My first question tho, not be nosy, is how old are the kids..old enough to understand?
And if they are, do they want it hyphenated?

You dont have to legally do it if you dont want to...you can just simply start adding the new name.

My mom kept changing my name when she would re-marry...eventually when I got to be working age, legally I had to start using my birth cert. name...which I had never in my life used! This was weird...So I ended up hyphenating it with her hubbys name...eventually, since her hubbies last name wasnt even legal, i dropped it, and went with my MAIDEN name..until I got married.

I am on my fourth last name!

So in my op....even tho u did not ask...I think kids should keep there legal name!

Oddly enuf, my hubby, his sister, and his mother all have different last names!
February 24th, 2006, 07:08 AM
~Katie~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My kids are 9 and 6 and me and my hubby have been together for 3yrs. My son has his bf name and my daughter has my maiden name bc he left me when I was pregnant with her. So, they are real siblings with different last names.

They do understand cause my ex asked my dd to change her name to his and she was like I want mommy and my baby sisters name. My son came up to me and said he wanted my name as well, I think it is bc I am their mom and they want the same name as me.

So, I talked to my ex and he said yeah, that I could do it. But, if I don't have to do it legaly maybe I will just start hyphenating.
February 24th, 2006, 09:21 PM
maximabella's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to maximabella Send a message via MSN to maximabella Send a message via Yahoo to maximabella
ok that makes total sense...
March 4th, 2006, 11:47 AM
MJONES's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would love to hyphen my Ds name, he carries the name of his father. I was divorced before he was born and the court legally changed his name to his fathers. My Ex doens't cooperate( also doesn't apy cs or see him, but has to have his boy with his name! UGH!)

Ethan Hunter, Ava Madison, Achilles Ryan

Sept 2, 2006
March 4th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
so wait, what if the dad is not on the birth certificate? does he have a say then?

I want to change DD's name (she is 7) to the family name, she would be the only one with my maiden name. She never had her dad's last name, I have always had custody and her dad is not on the birth certificate...so do I have to even have to have his 'permission'??

March 4th, 2006, 07:06 PM
MJONES's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
does he pay cs? If so (In OHIO) he is then consdiered the birth parent if 1. on certificate
2. accepts paternity
3. has been ordered to pay cs for dependant
4. claims child for 5yrs w/out dispute

I don't know they wouldn't allow me to hyphen period, but I had a jerk judge.

Ethan Hunter, Ava Madison, Achilles Ryan

Sept 2, 2006
March 5th, 2006, 09:40 PM
JuneBug2006's Avatar Forever missing Gracie
In Canada, you can change the name without permission if the father's name is not on the birth certificate............
On my son's registration to get his certificate, I had put "father unacknowledged"..............

I am not sure about other places though.
March 8th, 2006, 09:01 PM
mudholemama
SPEAKING OF NAMES....I may be rambling here....

EX still has DH's last name, DSD (their biological daughter together)
has DH's last name OF COURSE....BUT!!

EX has a baby from another man she was SUPPOSED to marry but
didn't and put "father unknown" on the birth certificate and gave her
DH's last name.

So, now, DSD is confused as to why everyone has the same last name
but we can't all live together in the same house....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search