how did...

Forum: Blended Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blended Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Mom2DyJessAva's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i was wondering how did everyones kids take it when they found out they were going to be a big brother or sister?? well my situation is my boyfriend has a daughter with his ex that is currently 7 years old and we have one on the way but the thing is our baby was unplanned so alot of times he talks about hurting his daughter and all this but i was wondering how did your kids take it when they found out that they were not gonna be the only child ...my boyfriend just has one kid so shes use to not sharing her dad so i was just wondering how some kids might take it..any help would be great..thanks!

February 27th, 2006, 09:07 AM
~Katie~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never had that problem, my oldest is 9 and me and dh both have a 6yr old. The only advice I could give to you is it is up to your husband how he goes about the situation, if he is feeling sorry for her and the amount of attention she is going to get.... he needs to get over it... that it life and she better get use to it. He is going to spoil her and she is going to become a brat.... I have seen it. He needs to talk to her about her becoming a Big Sister and keep her involved with the pregnancy and the baby when it gets here... have her be at the hospital to see her new baby brother or sister... just let her feel involved and I don't think there will be any problems.
February 27th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to kpokorny
I've seen both ends of the spectrum. For the most part my kids and dh kids are incredibly excited!!! They are older though... 16, 14, 13 and 11. We did ask them how they felt about it before we got pregnant and the then 11 year old girls said they didn't want the baby getting all the attention, we re-assured them that we had ample attention for all of them and they have been ok since.

I have a feeling if he feels sorry for her... she will play on it. She's at an age where she's old enough to see that in her dad, and little girls are good at playing their daddies. Regardless of how excited she is, she will always want him to feel sorry for her and outwardly won't show the excitement.

Maybe you could recommend to him that he just waits and watches... let her have her OWN reaction, then deal with that... not what he THINKS will happen.

1st Loss~08/14/00-No EDD
03/10/92-My beautiful daughter Kalina's Birthday!
05/12/94-My beautiful daughter Sierra's Birthday!
2nd Loss at 28 weeks~09/12/05 (Charlie's angel day - Trisomy 18)
3rd Loss at 15 weeks~03/04/06-EDD 08/23/06
4th Loss at 9 1/2 weeks~09/12/06-EDD 04/08/07
5th Loss at 9 1/2 weeks~girl 01/14/08-EDD 07/23/08
6th Loss at 19 weeks~10/04/08 (Joey's angel Day - Cord accident)</div>

<div align="center">

</div>
February 27th, 2006, 10:18 PM
JuneBug2006's Avatar Forever missing Gracie
I have actually been kind of wondering the same thing lately...

My son is going to be 2 months shy of 9 years old when Junebug arrives. He has had me all to himself for the past 8.5 years and has had my SO for the past 3 years............

He is completely fine with the pregnancy at this time and is very interested, but it is after the baby is born that I worry.....
February 28th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi..new to this forum. I have 3 kids from a previous marriage and 2 from this one. My oldest, ds-13, was very upset when we told them about baby. He thought his life was over, no hunting, deer lease, etc. I told him that everything would be the same, just one more of us. He seemed to accept that alright. My girls, 12 and 10, were thrilled. ds-8 thought it was o.k., being the youngest for 8 years. After baby was born, my oldest is taken with him-alot! He holds him, talks to him, a big difference! He has more to do with him than the others, almost my 10 yr old loves to hold him too. You just never know how they will act once baby comes.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search