Adoption ?

Forum: Blended Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blended Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 29th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Wolfmama09's Avatar " He's a marshmallow!"
Has anyone had any experience with the adoption process? Ds's father is not in the picture, he's never been on child supprt and didn't sign the birth certificate. Would he then, still have to sign his rights over in order for my s/o to adopt ds? He hasn't seen him since he was 3 mnths or paid any child support, no effort made, etc.

September 30th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not sure whether he has legal rights since he's not on the birth certificate.....

In my situation, my ex had to be notified of my Dh's intent to adopt DD. He had 30 days to contest. When he didn't it effectively terminated his parental rights due to lack of interest and Dh was able to adopt her.

But in my case, he was on the birth certificate.

I'd check with a lawyer. They'll usually do a free consult.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
October 3rd, 2009, 08:10 AM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My ex is on their birth certificate, he originally wanted to sign them over to my DH, but he got mad over something or other and went down and stopped it. I believe if he's not on the birth certificate he's not legally the father, but I'm not too sure on that one, I'd consult a lawyer if I were you.

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Adrianna Elise due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

October 4th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Ellemphriem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In Greece he would have every right he was born with (as a bio dad) no matter if he was in birth certificate or not. Meaning even if he was off the pic completely he could demand DNA and if he was real bio-dad automatically every right would have been his from scratch. But i don't know what goes in the US

" \m/ Now Iím riding through the air
going to where no one dares
on the way Iíll cross the line forevermore \m/ "

October 8th, 2009, 11:31 AM
JustBecca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to JustBecca
I just went through all this myself. Regardless if he is on the BC or not, if he knows that he is the father and can prove it...either through DNA or what have you...he needs to be given the chance to either have his rights terminated or sign a consent form to have his rights removed.

I only say this because if you were to go through with an adoption and he found out about it, 5 years later he can appear and say that he was not notified and then the adoption would be void.

Even if it is easier to just do it with out him in the picture, it is not worth it with the fact that it could be voided out years later.

Thank you ~* Helen *~ for the best all about me siggie! You are absolutely fabulous!
October 8th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Daisyfields's Avatar Platinum Super Mega Mommy
I wish I had advice for you, but since I haven't gone through it I don't. I will add that Becca literally just went through this, I'm sure she can help w/ some details.

Chantelle

October 8th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Wolfmama09's Avatar " He's a marshmallow!"
Thanks girls, Great advice Becca. I guess I need to go ahead and get all my ducks in a row.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search