Ok quick question on "back support" (U.S. ladies)

Forum: Blended Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blended Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 31st, 2010, 05:33 AM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I need help. We filed our taxes back in February and got our tax refund in the end of March. They took out $1400 for back support DH owed on his eldest son's C.S. (no he was not behind, what happened was it took a year after his ex filed to get the support ordered and they wouldn't consider the $$ he'd given her during that time...so they tacked that on. He's been current!).

We talked to his ex today and she has NOT received that money and its now almost JUNE. How long does it usually take to process through the state and get to her? It would really help her out right now and we want to make sure she gets it..it makes us 100% current on him and she needs the money.

Who would we contact to ensure that it gets to her? In a TIMELY manner? I mean if they are going to take the money out of our tax refund wouldn't they cut her a check at the same time?

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Adrianna Elise due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

May 31st, 2010, 08:12 AM
JustBecca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to JustBecca
Federal taxes are held for about 180 days. If you filed "married filing jointly" you, as the spouse have that 180 days to file for your portion of that refund. That is why it is held. State is usually held for around 90 days. Hope that helps.

Thank you ~* Helen *~ for the best all about me siggie! You are absolutely fabulous!
May 31st, 2010, 10:04 AM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok thanks, so she should get it just not for awhile yet. Ok! Thanks we were freaking out..that's a good chunk of change and wanted to make sure she receives it.

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Adrianna Elise due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

May 31st, 2010, 06:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad Becca could answer. I had no idea. I hope she gets it soon! I agree! It's a lot of money and I'd be freaking too! Let us know if she gets it.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
June 1st, 2010, 11:33 AM
Daisyfields's Avatar Platinum Super Mega Mommy
Becca's right about the delay/time, give or take a few.

To touch on "why" the support wasn't considered it b/c when the state gets involved (in your case & in my case that happened). Basically, anything that was given in cash, check, money order, is usually not considered w/ the state, they will say "you owe since the child was born"....in my case in was over 6 years, but...I waived that back-pay/arrears, I didn't feel that it was relevant moving forward or fair, I was being nice basically. So even though your SO paid, the state doesn't see it that way, doesn't make much sense but it's how things are processed w/ the department of revenues. If that helps to understand "why"...for the record, she could have waived the arrears. I know this to be true b/c I did just that & my attorney "AND" the state where VERY shocked. I just didn't want to go there anymore. Some people want to suck the life out of you etc. At this point, if the money has been deducted on YOUR end w/ your DH, then all is well. I would advise to call the state & talk to a case manager in regards to payments being made & to make sure that there are no "late fees".... for instance in this case, my ex gets CS deducted from his check bi-weekly, but...his HR person has been late, a lot... and b/c of this, there are now arrears & interest added on to it. I personally called the state & asked if my ex was made aware of this, b/c I felt bad actually. I figured, if I am getting $, and it's not on-time, but b/c not of the fault of my ex, but the fault of his employer, then he should be made aware how it wasn't being handled right & what not. Then I did point it out to my ex on the phone once, he didn't seem to be concerned or think twice, but he's like that any ways, doesn't have much to say usually, in all circumstances.

So, just so that's clear, call the state, check w/ them, make sure things are done right, make sure that the payments are applied in the time your DH truly paid. The last thing you want is to be late on this stuff. Just a little word of advice on how that usually works internally.

Hope things work out for you soon.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search