Constantly changing phone numbers!

Forum: Blended Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blended Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 26th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Anyone else deal with a bio-parent that is constantly getting a new phone number? I swear W&C's mom has a new one every few months. Just when the kids learn the number she gets a new one. grrr!
September 26th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Arachne
No, luckily. That'd be so difficult. I'm sorry she keeps doing that. The phone company usually gives 1 free number change, and then the rest are like $10 or $20 each time you want your number changed.

Why on earth is she changing her number so frequently!??
September 26th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Because she uses pay as you go cell phones and if you leave the phone without minutes for so many days, you lose the number, apparently.
September 27th, 2010, 06:44 AM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My ex doesn't always pay his bill, so he's changed his number a few times because he's not payed and has had to switch companies.

Angie

=May '05 and '11

September 27th, 2010, 06:48 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Thankfully I haven't had to deal with that issue. Sorry it keeps happening.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

September 27th, 2010, 07:45 AM
ToonTownGirl's Avatar Super Mommy
OMG, welcome to our life! Always changing numbers, and she is COURT ORDERED to provide within 3 days of changing her number to give it to us... which never happens. We never know what her number is, unless she calls to scream at DF for something, and forgets to block her number

Thank you
*Kiliki* for my beautiful siggie!

1st Miscarriage - not planned - June 29, 2010

Saskatoon Scrappin'
- visit my blog!

September 27th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Daisyfields's Avatar Platinum Super Mega Mommy
To me, I don't think there's anything wrong w/ people changing a phone #, change it weekly if you want, just make sure everyone has it. That's the only issue. People change their #'s all the time, their cell carriers change, or they change emails, which ever. I don't mind. Just make sure you notify all those that need to know (school/doctors/immediate family etc.), the rest can wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fright View Post
No, luckily. That'd be so difficult. I'm sorry she keeps doing that. The phone company usually gives 1 free number change, and then the rest are like $10 or $20 each time you want your number changed.

Why on earth is she changing her number so frequently!??

I've changed my phone #'s several times. I changed it b/c I was getting soliciting calls, even though I had a private/unpublished phone # that I was paying more $ for. To me, that was a pain & I refused to screen my phone calls when I pay more for it. Which is why I've changed my #'s before. My ex has changed his #'s, so has my DH's ex. I don't care, as long as they give us the new info ASAP. That's all that matters. In this day in age, w/ Fios, Xfinity, Cell phones, landlines, people change info like they change their underwear practically. I'm constantly updating my contacts on my iPhone.

September 27th, 2010, 09:23 AM
I just don't understand that. Neely has had the same cell phone number since 2004 when we met and I've had the same cell number since 1999!!! I wouldn't change it fi they paid me.
September 27th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
I just don't understand that. Neely has had the same cell phone number since 2004 when we met and I've had the same cell number since 1999!!! I wouldn't change it fi they paid me.
Consider yourself one of the lucky ones. Have you ever gotten harassing phone calls from people who want to sell you something or claim to have information on your loans for your mortgages? Or my personal favorite, calling my 9 year old cell's # to talk to him about a credit card? Yeah... And I've gone to the "do not call" list, and guess what? They still call! You get to a point that enough is enough & you don't want to continue to be interrupted in the middle of a nice dinner b/c of some schmuck trying to sell you a scam. The private #'s that come up, we KNOW that they are doctor's for our family, we don't have to GUESS anymore. I have no problem changing my info like that, it's easy, poof, change & there it is. I've even had to change my debit card info 2 times in less than 1 year because of the BJ's wholesale "and" Hannaford Grocery store scam! (that means notifying all my EFT accounts the new account info before they draft the EFT w/ the new account info so it's not a NSF issue, very tedious & a pain but can be done in a day's time). Yes, I had someone break into the computers where I shopped & spent all of our money in November & December (Christmas time), I noticed it the day after Thanksgiving actually when I logged onto my on-line banking to check out things (do this daily). We had not only ZERO $ in our account, but we had to get all new account information, which took us 8 weeks! Try going w/ out access to $ for 8 weeks, not very easy.
We don't have credit cards, just debit/MC's so try dealing w/ that inconvenience of change. If I can handle that, I can handle a small change of a phone #... easy. Nothing the bank could do, until their investigation was done. Even though to me it would have been obvious, we live in one state, the transactions had happened literally across our states away, in California for ridiculous amounts of money.

To me a phone # is not that big of a deal. People change that all the time. So many other bigger issues in life that are a big deal, changing a phone # isn't on the top of my list of one of them. Unless of course the person changes their # & doesn't give you the new one, then, that's a bit different. Otherwise, hit the "edit" button on your "contacts" & just hit a few buttons that are the new digits, & hit "save" & voila!

September 27th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Arachne
I've had the same phone number for 3 or 4 years now, and I get solicitous phone calls on occasion... if they don't put me on the Do Not Call list, I block their number. It's easier for me to do that, than to change my number, because I am terrible at remembering phone numbers. None of the phones we have, have gotten solicitous calls or anything like that, and I consider myself very lucky.
September 27th, 2010, 10:17 AM
I block their #'s too but you can't block an unlisted # or a private #... if there's no #, then you can't block it. Otherwise, I too am able to block #'s, & I have.

September 27th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisyfields View Post

To me a phone # is not that big of a deal. People change that all the time. So many other bigger issues in life that are a big deal, changing a phone # isn't on the top of my list of one of them. Unless of course the person changes their # & doesn't give you the new one, then, that's a bit different. Otherwise, hit the "edit" button on your "contacts" & just hit a few buttons that are the new digits, & hit "save" & voila!
Wow. It's not about me, Chantelle. It's about the kids. They memorize their mom's number and then it changes. It's difficult for them. And they use the land line (because 9 & 11 is way too young to own a cell phone, IMO) so it's not just easy to change the number for them. Yes, it's easy for me and Neely to add her new number to our contact lists on our cell phones, but it's not that simple for the kids. As I pointed out in my original post, it upsets the kids and interferes with them talking to her because 1, they don't know her number to call her whenever they feel like (as they are allowed to do) and 2, they don't answer the phone if they don't recognize the number.

And changing your phone number once every few years because you switch carriers is a lot different than changing your number 10 times a year.

Oh and I get solicitations all the time. Simple. If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer the phone. And if it's someone I know, they leave me a message and I call them back. Much easier than changing your phone number and inconveniencing 100's of people who have it.
September 27th, 2010, 10:28 AM
As much of a PITA as it is that she changes her number, it doesn't bother me. I agree with Chantelle, there are "bigger fish to fry" in regards to it. To me, yes it sucks that the kids have to learn a new number, but in the end it will show them that they mom is irresponsible and doesn't care about things being "constant"

Yup, sucks for the kids, but losing sleep over phone numbers changing, not my idea of a good time, but again, that's just my 2 cents

Thank you

Saskatoon Scrappin'
- visit my blog!

September 27th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Wow. It's not about me, Chantelle. It's about the kids. They memorize their mom's number and then it changes. It's difficult for them. And they use the land line (because 9 & 11 is way too young to own a cell phone, IMO) so it's not just easy to change the number for them. Yes, it's easy for me and Neely to add her new number to our contact lists on our cell phones, but it's not that simple for the kids. As I pointed out in my original post, it upsets the kids and interferes with them talking to her because 1, they don't know her number to call her whenever they feel like (as they are allowed to do) and 2, they don't answer the phone if they don't recognize the number.

And changing your phone number once every few years because you switch carriers is a lot different than changing your number 10 times a year.

Oh and I get solicitations all the time. Simple. If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer the phone. And if it's someone I know, they leave me a message and I call them back. Much easier than changing your phone number and inconveniencing 100's of people who have it.
Okay, so now you're judging me based on the fact that my son is TOO YOUNG to have a cell phone? Now, you say you've been "lurking" & you know my history. If you TRULY knew, then you'd know the EXACT & ONLY reason WHY my son, got a cell phone, at all. Can you answer that Rachel? There is 1 incident that made me get a cell phone that happened when my son was 7, then multiple incidents that followed after that which made me keep the cell phone (which, is called "smart limits", only allows the child to call or receive calls from certain persons, can't go on-line, can't do any web search/data, just for ER's & only has the phone for 1 soul purpose, and it's turned on 2 times a month).

So I'll ask the question again Rachel, since you know me so well, why is it that my son, who is turning 10 in a few days, got a cell phone at the age of 7? What happened at age 6 that made me get him a cell phone? Because, prior to THIS incident, I can PROMISE you that I "also" felt that he wouldn't be getting a cell phone, that he would be much too young too.

BEFORE you judge me (which you have done....again), can you please tell me why? I'm curious. Why?

September 27th, 2010, 10:40 AM
OMG Chantelle, way to pick one thing I said in my post and make it an attack on you. Will & Clayton are 11 and 9. They are too young in my opinion to have a cell phone. I never said anything about your child. I'm not judging you. I could care less that your son has a cell phone. I'm sure your reasons for him having one are valid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonTownGirl View Post
As much of a PITA as it is that she changes her number, it doesn't bother me. I agree with Chantelle, there are "bigger fish to fry" in regards to it. To me, yes it sucks that the kids have to learn a new number, but in the end it will show them that they mom is irresponsible and doesn't care about things being "constant"

Yup, sucks for the kids, but losing sleep over phone numbers changing, not my idea of a good time, but again, that's just my 2 cents
I'm not losing sleep over it. It's just annoying is all. I was venting. Am I not allowed to do that?
September 27th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to sweetiez
My daughters dad changed his number often... he has the same one now for awhile...... so hopefully it stays that way.. but typically he tells me it...lol
September 27th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Quote:
I'm not losing sleep over it. It's just annoying is all. I was venting. Am I not allowed to do that?
Absolutely you are allowed to do that, it was my 2 cents I was throwing in there. Again, like I said, this board is take the best and leave the rest... it's been like that for a long time...

I agree it's annoying, but I can only control what happens in my house, so I don't worry about what happens there... cause if I do, I will literally drive myself into a tailspin that I will never get out of.

Thank you

Saskatoon Scrappin'
- visit my blog!

September 27th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Quote:
OMG Chantelle, way to pick one thing I said in my post and make it an attack on you. Will & Clayton are 11 and 9. They are too young in my opinion to have a cell phone. I never said anything about your child. I'm not judging you. I could care less that your son has a cell phone. I'm sure your reasons for him having one are valid.

I posted that my 9 year old was getting soliciting calls on his cell phone. Then you come back & said a child who is 9 years old is way too young to have a cell phone... Now you want me to believe that it had NOTHING to do w/ me what so ever? Sorry, do not believe that. Coincidence, perhaps, but I do not buy it.

Venting sure... but wasn't it you who said you didn't want the board to be about venting or being negative when Kris said that's why she liked coming to BF's to vent about stuff, then Tiffany said the same thing? Yet when I had a few things to say, I was told that I was negative about my step-son, that it seemed I didn't like him? I told you that you didn't know me or the situation & you claimed you had been reading/lurking all this time & did, but if you REALLY did, then some of the comments made, wouldn't come out this way. Honestly, I feel like you're singling me out, what ever I say, I'm the bad one. I say something and it's negative feedback. Someone says the exact same thing & it's totally okay. I can say the same thing another says & it's received totally different from you. I wont be thinking about this in bed either. Last thing on my mind when I'm snoozing. Just sad to see a place go from soft place to fall to chopping block, I'm being ripped to shreds like the wicked step-mother.
September 27th, 2010, 11:24 AM
If you choose to believe I was attacking you, there really is nothing that I can do to change your mind. Fact is, I didn't catch the 9 year old in your long post. I saw son because I skimmed it.

When I posted:

Quote:
(because 9 & 11 is way too young to own a cell phone, IMO)
it was related to the ages of my kids and why they need to use the land line. But if you want to make it into me judging you, whatever.

You're right. I said I didn't want this board to be ALL about venting and the bad side of blended families. I want it to show the good in blended families too. That was not to say that no one, never ever, under no circumstance is allowed to vent. Is that what you thought I meant? Seriously? I find that hard to believe.

Yes, I have been lurking this board for years, but obviously I didn't read every.single.post here. But I have noticed a pattern that anyone who disagrees with you, Chantelle, is "judging" you or "attacking" you. I'm aware of the Community Guidelines on JustMommies, obviously given my position here, so I would never ever attack another member or pass judgment on them.

Obviously, you are upset with me. Why don't you PM me about it.
September 27th, 2010, 02:11 PM
so this is going no where, I'm beating a dead-horse, pointless, I'll let you believe that it's not personal. What ever. Bigger fish to fry. You don't have to like me, & that's fine, I don't have to like you either.

Just wanted to be treated like everyone else. Simple as that. Didn't want it to be so flippin' obvious that there are favorites & people are singling out those favorites.

And that whole thing about me not attacking based on Community Guidelines. Can you be a real person for once & not throw that in the mix? Just be yourself. Okay? On one hand you are "community guideline" preacher, the next, you are trying to be the same as the rest of us. Just be yourself. It's like the teacher that wants to preach guidelines, but be our best bud the next. Is it possible to be both? is it? I'm not sure. You seem to be really down to earth on one hand, but the next, it's like a lecture. I

Plenty of people have disagreed w/ me & as long as they're not telling me that my choice doesn't mean I'm a bad person/mother/wife, I do not care what they say. You can say "I agree to disagree"...or "that's not my parenting choice"...but to come out & say that I am not one who loves my step-son, when that wasn't even the topic of conversation on my thread, sorry, out of left field. Again, not called for, very disturbing. Then a few of the ladies came to my "rescue" and you tried to take it back. But prior, you were standing firm of how you hoped to see that I'd become a better step-mother. Which was really crud.

Don't you realize that there are enough people to hate in the world already? seems like your working hard to give us another. That's fine. We're good. No worries. I'll let you think what you want to think.

Happy trails.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search