How often do you eat out?

Forum: Blended Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blended Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 27th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I swear this is the biggest budget killer for us. We eat out at least once a week.
September 27th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Arachne
Not very often, actually. Lately, I can never find anything on any menu that I like. I don't usually eat meals lately, either. I just snack. I find it pointless to pay for a meal for me, when I won't eat much of it. We do get pizza bi weekly, sometimes once a week, though.

Not very often, actually. I'm mostly a snacker, lately. I don't actually eat meals, I'll eat tiny portions and then snack. I find it pointless to go out and buy a meal that I won't eat most of. Plus, I never find anything on any menu that looks very good, lately.

We do get pizza once every two weeks, though. Sometimes once a week.
September 27th, 2010, 02:03 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Same here. Be it take out or eat out, it's at least once during the weekdays and almost all weekend.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

September 27th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We don't eat out that often. We do order take-out and eat in a few times a month.

Dh is a chef so it's hard to find better food

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
September 27th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2miracles View Post
We don't eat out that often. We do order take-out and eat in a few times a month.

Dh is a chef so it's hard to find better food
That's awesome! Does he try out new recipes on you? I would love that!

I should rephrase my post. We don't always eat out - as in in a restaurant, but we do take-out at least once a week. Sometimes it's eating in, but more often than not, it's take out.
September 27th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Arachne
Oooh! Well, we do like take out, but we still don't do it often. We're in a tiny city, and there's just not much here. Although, I do prefer to order food at a eat-in restaurant, and have my husband go pick it up with the curbside option, and eat it at home... Mmmm... GOSH! Now you have me wanting that!!
September 27th, 2010, 05:15 PM
We live in a super small town too. The only thing we have here is a small Italian restaurant, a Pizza Hut, McDonalds and another pizza place. We have to drive at least 12-15 miles for any good food.
September 27th, 2010, 06:23 PM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Maybe once every 2-3 months and we don't normally do it when all of the kids are with us. It's just too expensive for the 5 of us. We do pizza about once every few weeks....thats less than $20 for all of us.

Angie

=May '05 and '11

September 28th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Super Mommy
Way tooooo much!!! That is one thing in our budget we are working on.
September 28th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Daisyfields's Avatar Platinum Super Mega Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
I swear this is the biggest budget killer for us. We eat out at least once a week.
We used to eat out much more often but ever since I got sick & my mobility has become an issue, we do take out, so we actually have been saving $, prior to that, we were spending way much more than we should have. Now a days, we're saving. I tell ya, as a mom at home, I wanted to get out of the house, have someone wait on ME & serve ME & clean up after ME "AND" the kids, I wanted to be treated like a queen instead of me having to pick up after all the boys (5 b/c I consider my DH a kid himself too). So to me, going to The Outback or TexasRoad House or Chili's, OliveGarden (keep in mind, kid friendly, this isn't for cuisine necessarily), w/ a family of 6, plus tip, we'd spend anywhere from $60-$70 easy! It's ridiculous when we already have to spend $450 bi-weekly for groceries. To me, that just screams insanity. Now I say, let's just make food at home.

A suggestion to save some $$$, and this was given to me by a good friend/hairdresser of 16 years (she has twins & an older girl too)... she said, kids don't usually eat all the food at the restaurants, right? or they'll pick something you already have at home, say...mac'n'cheese (you can buy a box for $1.00 here), but a place like Chili's will sell you a meal of Mac'n'Cheese for $5.00, silly, right? She gave the advice of feeding our kids first, at home, before leaving the house, so their not starving. Arrive at the restaurant of our choice, once we're seated, they've already had their food, so if they want bread, let them eat it b/c they're not ruining their meals & instead of getting an actual MEAL, have them pick out a dessert!
Well... I tested this above suggestion last weekend and guess what? It worked! I fed my 2 babies at home, and they got dessert and it worked like a charm. Mark/DH thought I had lost my mind at first but I explained where my thought process was. See, I'm usually like anal about my kids having veggies & eating their meals before even "considering" a dessert, if any. So....if you do decide to go out to dinner, try it, you might be surprised. And... it's also cheaper! Save some $$$ this way.

September 28th, 2010, 09:11 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Hmm I might try that with the little guy. Thanks for the tip.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

September 28th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
That's awesome! Does he try out new recipes on you? I would love that!

I should rephrase my post. We don't always eat out - as in in a restaurant, but we do take-out at least once a week. Sometimes it's eating in, but more often than not, it's take out.
He's constantly doing new things. Funny thing is that I'm a very picky eater so I don't appreciate it as much as others would

Chantelle,

That's a good idea. We haven't done that but we usually don't order separate kid's meals. Neither of my kids are big eaters and resaurants usually give way too much food anyway. So they usually eat off my plate.

My kid's favorite restaurant is Red Robin. A manager told us to do this: they have free refills on the kids meals. So we order 1 meal to split and then order the refill & they both get more than enough to eat. Save us money too!

September 28th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2miracles View Post
My kid's favorite restaurant is Red Robin. A manager told us to do this: they have free refills on the kids meals. So we order 1 meal to split and then order the refill & they both get more than enough to eat. Save us money too!
I didn't know that about Red Robin! I'll have to remember that.
September 29th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Daisyfields's Avatar Platinum Super Mega Mommy
We don't have "Red Robbin" around here.

The problem w/ "sharing" meals for my kiddos is my 4.5 year old eats more than my DH, no joke. Then my almost 10 year old (10 in a week) eats the same as my DH. Then you have my almost 13 year old who still eats like a 2 year old would (pasta w/ butter, nothing else)....then you have my almost 3 year old who just drinks his formula (eating problems). So in the end, The ONLY 3 people that eat NORMAL, HEALTHY meals is me, my 4.5 yr old & my almost 10 yr old sons. The rest of them are crazy. Otherwise, I'd get a large meal/plate & share it. KWIM? When it comes to my DSS, he is so picky (and supposedly allergic to the world, I say this w/ sarcasm b/c one minute he's allergic to peanuts & can't have something w/ peanuts in it, yet he's allowed to have a peanut M&M, you are either allergic or you're not, which is it?) anyways...so he's picky, my DH, eats no veggies, and then my little guy wont eat anything other than baby puree & formula (medical problem). Not the normal family thing.

September 29th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I didn't know that about Red Robin! I'll have to remember that.
Yeah they don't advertise that - we'd been eating there for years and no one told us. We went to a new one that didn't get a lot of traffic & the manager told us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisyfields View Post
We don't have "Red Robbin" around here.

The problem w/ "sharing" meals for my kiddos is my 4.5 year old eats more than my DH, no joke. Then my almost 10 year old (10 in a week) eats the same as my DH. Then you have my almost 13 year old who still eats like a 2 year old would (pasta w/ butter, nothing else)....then you have my almost 3 year old who just drinks his formula (eating problems). So in the end, The ONLY 3 people that eat NORMAL, HEALTHY meals is me, my 4.5 yr old & my almost 10 yr old sons. The rest of them are crazy. Otherwise, I'd get a large meal/plate & share it. KWIM? When it comes to my DSS, he is so picky (and supposedly allergic to the world, I say this w/ sarcasm b/c one minute he's allergic to peanuts & can't have something w/ peanuts in it, yet he's allowed to have a peanut M&M, you are either allergic or you're not, which is it?) anyways...so he's picky, my DH, eats no veggies, and then my little guy wont eat anything other than baby puree & formula (medical problem). Not the normal family thing.
We couldn't do the meal share thing with Dh's dds either - they are big eaters! But my kids are tiny - Lucy is 8 and still wears a size 6. She's not even 50lbs yet. Noah is a bigger kid but he's a grazer - he like to eat small amount all the time rather than 3 big meals. So it works for us.

September 29th, 2010, 12:10 PM
We just moved Will up to eating regular meals because the kids meals just weren't enough for him. This is the same kid that eats a whole footlong sub at Subway when he's with his mom. So yeah, it's an expensive prospect when we have a meal out too. That's why it's such a budget killer for us.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search