Did it take a while

Forum: Blended Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blended Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 27th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
for your step-children to get used to your cooking? Did they enjoy it right away or did they complain about the new things you make?

We have found that more often than not, they ate ramen, mac & cheese, chicken nuggets and the like and rarely had a balanced meal, so while we do have those things on a few times a month, it took them a while to get used to a dinner that included meat, starch & vegis.
September 27th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Arachne
No, not really... I have a completely different cooking style and cook completely different foods from what their mother made, though. The only complaints I get, are because my husband's son, eats like my husband. Seriously dislikes vegetables, but I make him eat them anyways. I season them so they're not gross and vegetable like.

I do macaroni & cheese and chicken nugget type things about twice a week, but I pair it with vegetables. Like, I'll put peas and tuna in the macaroni & cheese, so it's more like a casserole. Or I'll put broccoli with the macaroni & cheese. When we have chicken nuggets, I pair it with sweet potatoes that are cut like french fries, and some other kind of vegetable. Sooo, they get the "kid friendlier foods" but they get the veggies, too.
September 27th, 2010, 06:36 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
No not really. I've been around DSD since she was 3 so it wasn't hard to get her used to my cooking. Besides, according to her her mom couldn't cook well for the longest time. She just recently started cooking well if you asked DSD.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

September 27th, 2010, 07:05 PM
September 28th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Super Mommy
I don't cook SO does all the cooking at my house. My dd will eat anything. She has even eaten Jellyfish.
September 28th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Daisyfields's Avatar Platinum Super Mega Mommy
Oh yes, I get the attitude about what I make & how I make it. He's always "allergic" to everything I make. I used to get annoyed, now I just ignore him & let him be. If his father wants to allow him to be treated like a baby (which he is, spoiled rotten, gets what he wants all the time, complains & they do what he says), then that's their issue, they're the parents & I'm not in control of that. I don't care. I gave up trying to control how he ate healthy.

If they don't like what I make, they don't eat it, they starve. Last night I made something w/ shrimp in it, DH hates seafood/shellfish, he decided not to eat dinner. Oh well... he could have had a hot dog or a sandwich. Why should the rest of the family NOT eat a product b/c of 1 person? He also hates all veggies except corn, potatoes & carrots, nothing else, no greens, nothing. If I fed my kids what my DH liked only, they would eat chicken & steak w/ potatoes & carrots w/ corn on the cob every single day! No thank you. They need some greens, color, some variety. My kids eat brussel sprouts & spinach. If you raise your kids on variety, they'll like it. At least in my household.

September 28th, 2010, 09:07 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Oh yes the famous I'm "allergic" line. I'm starting to hear that for so many different things and none of them involve food. She's grown up with multiple pets but now she's "allergic" to most of them. DOH! Oh and how about the I don't like this food, yet just a month or two ago she couldn't get enough of it. Kids are too much sometimes.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

September 28th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Chantelle, I don't like green vegetables either, so I definitely can't cook to my taste or my kids would never get any vegetables in them.

We do have to stay away from most legumes since Daniel is allergic.
September 28th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
No adjustment here. DH is a chef so he does all the cooking. I think they had to adjust to their bio mom's cooking though When dh 1st moved in with me, his oldest would ask what he was cooking for dinner every time they talked on the phone.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search