We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
It seems as though every weekend we get him he gets sick. And not just the I don't feel good gonna be gloomy all day sick, he wakes up in the middle of his sleep and gets sick every where. He doesn't do this with his mom, and he never did this in the last place we lived in. I don't know if it's nerves, him being farther away from mom, or what. My boyfriend always calls his mother (unless it's 4 am in the morning, which happened 2 weeks ago). As soon as he heard he was going back to mom (as most kids do want mom if they are sick), he was fine. Smiling, laughing, all ready to go. I don't know if we are doing something wrong or what.
I know he's allergic to red dye and anything with it. And he had a hot dog w/ some ketchup, but he eats ketchup on his cheesburgers from mcdonalds and does just fine. Other than that, he's not had anything else w/ red dye in it. I don't understand.
And my poor boyfriend thinks he's a bad father.
Any ideas as to why he might be doing this? Or what we can do to make it better? Thanks!
... nevermind. We figured out what happened. Apparently for dinner I gave him fruit punch instead of what I thought was grape juice. He's allergic to red dye. With everything that had been going on today I wasn't really paying attention. I just grabbed the juice and poured. Now I feel bad, not only b/c he got sick, but now his mom isn't letting him stay the night with us anymore
you giving him the wrong juice was a mistake..everyone makes mistakes once in a while she she shouldnt get mad and not let him stay the night with you guys anymore.. I dont think thats right..a mistake is a mistake its not like u did it just to do it.. does he enjoy staying over his fathers house? if so then i dont think the mom should take that away from him or both of you
you giving him the wrong juice was a mistake..everyone makes mistakes once in a while she she shouldnt get mad and not let him stay the night with you guys anymore.. I dont think thats right..a mistake is a mistake its not like u did it just to do it.. does he enjoy staying over his fathers house? if so then i dont think the mom should take that away from him or both of you[/b]
eehhh..I agree with this...to a point....if you are going to care for a child who has an allergy to the point that it makes them very noticibly ill, then you really really have to be vigalent about what you give them. If my DD stayed with her dad and he had a wife or SO that gave my DD something that she was allergic too, I too would cut back on the length of time my child stayed in their home, not forever, just until I had confidence that whoever was taking care of my child would be extra vigalent about her allergies. Allergies are serious and you never know how far an allergic reaction can go. It is probably just too close to the incident for mom to feel comfortable and confident that her son won't get sick at his dad's home.
It was a mistake and Lord knows we ALL have made mistakes as a parent or caregiver, all we can do is learn from it and try very hard not to let it happen again. Don't feel too bad, things happen and it was just a mistake. Just let mom know it was a fluke occurrance and sooner than later your BF's son will be able to spend the nights again. Mom is probably just not feeling confident about leaving him overnight. It will pass.
(((HUGS))) Do NOT beat yourself up about this. Accidnets happen, now you know you just have to be extra careful when caring for DF's son.