If you've ever had to be away from your baby any length of time...

Forum: Blended Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blended Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2011, 07:49 AM
mom2xander's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2xander Send a message via Yahoo to mom2xander Send a message via Skype™ to mom2xander
About 5 months ago, I sat down and talked to my mom. When Xander was born, she told me if I ever felt like I couldn't handle taking care of him or needed a break, she would be willing to help. I don't by any means want to take a break from my sweet little boy. He is my life. And I have honestly been spoiled with him, because I haven't had to share him with his dad - that part of being a single mom I have LOVED.

I'm moving to South Carolina in 2 weeks. The agreement with my mom is that she will take care of him when I leave, until I can bring him out with me. The absolute longest would be (5 months) until May 29th (our wedding). I'm going to be looking for a job right away, and hopefully I can bring him out sooner than that. At first, I was trying to find a way to bring him with me. I had a conversation with a few people, and I was thinking of ME in trying to do that. I don't want to be away from my baby, but he has a stable loving environment here. He has been living with me at my mom's most of the 2 years of his life. He'll be here with my mom until I have a stable environment to bring him to.

What I'm struggling with, is being away from him. I haven't spent more than 5 days away from him EVER. The only distractions I have are SO (he works a lot, so I only have that distraction a day or two out of the week), and schoolwork - then obviously if I can get a job soon that is one as well. How do you do it? What's the hardest part? What makes it easier to cope with? Do you have any advice for me?

Thanks.

January 16th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to sweetiez
Im sorry!!!! I wish you the best.. sounds like you have support. Congrats on your wedding also. It is hard to be apart from a kid. I think the longest i been away from my DD was 10 days!.

Is there a way u can visit him? or he could visit you?
January 16th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sorry no advice. I've never been away from either of my kids for more than 1-2 nights. I honestly couldn't do it for 5 months.

How far away are you going? Are you going to be able to visit on weekends? I see he's pretty young so that will make it harder with phone calls & such. Are you going to Skype so that he can "see" you?

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
January 16th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Send a message via AIM to mom2xander Send a message via Yahoo to mom2xander Send a message via Skype™ to mom2xander
Going from Arizona to South Carolina. It's REALLY hard, but it's the only option in the situation. We're struggling pretty badly here, even living with my mom, and I'm moving us to make a better life for us before he is old enough that he will really suffer.

I can do webcam chats with him (bought a webcam for my mom's computer), and phone calls everyday.

January 17th, 2011, 10:58 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Oh wow I've only been away from my kids for 3 weeks at the most. Luckily they were close enough where it was only a 3.5 hour drive to go see them. Good luck. You're doing the right thing by him.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

January 17th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Thank you so much, that really does make me feel better. It's going to be really hard on me, and I'm prepared for that, but I just want to be doing what's best for him in this situation.

January 17th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I don't have any advice either. I have never (and can't imagine a circumstance) been away from my kids for more than a week, while they were away at camp. I have never been away from my littlest for more than 3 days.

Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search