My daughter finally asked the question...

Forum: Blended Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blended Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 21st, 2011, 10:31 AM
KnJ'sMomma727's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I have a 6 year old to my ex husband who I'm great friends with. I love his family still and we all talk often and get along great. I'm engaged and pregnant now. My daughter finally asked the new guy's parents why the new baby will get to call them grandma/grandpa and not her. =/ Poor thing's so confused. She also asked why the baby will have a different last name than her. I feel bad now!! I almost don't want to change my name after I get married so she won't be the only one. =/

May 21st, 2011, 11:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would talked to your fiance and his family about their feelings toward your daughter calling them grandma/grandpa. They may not have an issue with it and it would help your daughter not feel so left out. My DSS refers to all members of my family the same way my DD does, but my family members are all fine with it. Your fiance's family may not necessarily feel that way, which is fine, but it's just something that needs discussed.

As far as the name change, that is a persanal decision. There's no law saying that you have to change it if you don't want to. Would it be at all possible to use some sort of hyphenation in your name? I know traditionally it's your maiden and current married name that is combined, but if your fiance is fine with it and it would give you that name connection with your daughter, then I don't see the harm in doing something a little less conventional to help your daughter not feel out of the loop.
May 23rd, 2011, 08:48 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
My stepsons call my parents Grandma and Grandpa at my parent's request. The only person who had issues with this was my niece, who was 13 at the time. She didn't understand it because her step-dad's parents were "Mr. so and so and Ms. so and so" to her since she was 5 years old. She didn't understand how my parents could just accept them as their own without question.

But that's how it should be.
May 23rd, 2011, 09:37 AM
Veteran
Sounds confusing -- I understand. My step daughter doesn't know what to call my mother and sister/brother. She already has a grandma and aunts - she hasn't bought into how these "new people" can be her grandma/relatives too.

It's hard. Another minefield of the blended family. I hope you can figure out what works best for your family. Good luck!
May 23rd, 2011, 10:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
(((hugs)))

I know your pain. I was fortunate that my mil came out & told my dd "you can call me grandma too"

The name thing was a challenge for us too. She always felt the odd man out. My only suggestions are to reassure her that it's just a last name & that her daddy will always have that name. (mine was trickier because bio dad wasn't in the picture much). Also let her know that just because the new baby shares your lastname it doesn't mean you the baby anymore.

((hugs)))

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search