And then there are the moments that balance it all out

Forum: Blended Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blended Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 3rd, 2011, 06:59 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
My 5 yo dsd has spent all morning hanging out in the kitchen with me, telling me how much she loves me while I'm cooking breakfast and cleaning up. Last night, I was kneeling on the carpet watching the older boys play a video game and I had my head turned to the side because dh was talking to me. My 2.5 yo dss walked over to me, put his hands on both sides of my face, turned my head towards his and gave me a kiss.

My dh makes the difficult parts of blended life worth it every day. Sometimes, though, it's an extra bit of reassurance to see them so happy. It isn't perfect and I don't expect it to be, but no family is and days like this give me cause to just stop and be appreciative of all of happy moments.

*Excitedly expecting baby girl number two!*

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!
December 3rd, 2011, 08:22 AM
Super Mommy
Awww So cute! Glad you are having a happy weekend!!!
December 3rd, 2011, 11:45 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
December 3rd, 2011, 11:54 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
That's wonderful. It's awesome when the kids show they truly care.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

December 3rd, 2011, 12:35 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
awww! that's totally adorable!

Reme does that stuff too, he'll tell me to kiss his daddy, then he'll climb in my lap later, tap his cheek and say "where's my sugar?"

December 4th, 2011, 09:08 AM
.Katie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keakie View Post
My 5 yo dsd has spent all morning hanging out in the kitchen with me, telling me how much she loves me while I'm cooking breakfast and cleaning up. Last night, I was kneeling on the carpet watching the older boys play a video game and I had my head turned to the side because dh was talking to me. My 2.5 yo dss walked over to me, put his hands on both sides of my face, turned my head towards his and gave me a kiss.

My dh makes the difficult parts of blended life worth it every day. Sometimes, though, it's an extra bit of reassurance to see them so happy. It isn't perfect and I don't expect it to be, but no family is and days like this give me cause to just stop and be appreciative of all of happy moments.
100% agree. Keep this day in the back of your mind to help you when things aren't as perfect!
December 4th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Wonderful!

It helps that they are younger. It's hard when blended families come together when the kids are older.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
December 4th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
Definitely. My oldest two (dss12 and dsd 10) aren't totally opposed to our blended family, but they're the ones who've been the most back-and-forth and who've been kind of hesitant and stand-offish at times. I'm not sure how they're going to feel when we have a baby together. All we can do is continue to show them a healthy and happy hope while they are with us and keep the relationship door open and hope the trust comes on its own. It's another reason I appreciate how open and the sweet the littles are.

*Excitedly expecting baby girl number two!*

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!
December 4th, 2011, 04:31 PM
mommy2alex215's Avatar FTM
Those moments are the best. Definitely keep showing them what a happy family looks like, it really makes things so much better. My dss doesnt live in the best sitaution on the other end but all my dh and I can do is show him what a happy and loving home is.
December 5th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
When I met my dh, his dds were 6 & 10 when we got together. The 6 year old was very accepting but the 10 year old was dead set against it from the start. My dd was 2 1/2 & was totally accepting too.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
December 5th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2miracles View Post
Wonderful!

It helps that they are younger. It's hard when blended families come together when the kids are older.
I completely agree! While Will & Clayton were 3 & 5 when we met, they were 5 & 7 before seeing us regularly and then 8 & 10 when we got full custody. And my two were 12 and 15 when I met Neely so while they both love him and he loves them, it's never been a super close-knit relationship.

Although, it's funny that it happened this way. I took Sarah (she's 23) to a party on Halloween weekend. Our friends are closer to her age anyway, so she fit right in. She got uh, a little tipsy to say the least. Neely was very gentle with her, where I was annoyed and he helped her to bed and in and out of the car. It was sweet.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search