Log In Sign Up

Trials


Forum: Blended Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By plan4fate

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blended Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
March 29th, 2012, 04:42 PM
.Katie.
Guest
Posts: n/a
What is the difference between a trial and other court proceedings? Our trial is set for sept 11-13. Why is it so long?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
March 29th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Taneytown, MD
Posts: 114,733
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Katie.
What is the difference between a trial and other court proceedings? Our trial is set for sept 11-13. Why is it so long?
Think of it this way: when a poison is charged with a crime they have a trial. Prosecution puts on their case, defense puts on theirs and a judge or jury gives a verdict. Before a trial, there are can be pre-trial hearings on motions such as what evidence can be allowed at trial. Those are normally short because it's just one issue and not the whole case and guilt is not determined. With a civil trial it's the same except you replace the prosecuter with the moving party and generally there is no jury. There can be in other civil proceedings, but when it's about the best interest of a child, that is usually left to a judge. It's so long because lawyers like to talk.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
March 30th, 2012, 07:01 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,499
Trials are argued in front of a judge and lots of evidence is presented. They're usually placed so far out to give the opposing sides a chance to work out a settlement before the trial.
__________________

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11



Reply With Quote
  #4  
March 30th, 2012, 06:47 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 26,345
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
Think of it this way: when a poison is charged with a crime they have a trial. Prosecution puts on their case, defense puts on theirs and a judge or jury gives a verdict. Before a trial, there are can be pre-trial hearings on motions such as what evidence can be allowed at trial. Those are normally short because it's just one issue and not the whole case and guilt is not determined. With a civil trial it's the same except you replace the prosecuter with the moving party and generally there is no jury. There can be in other civil proceedings, but when it's about the best interest of a child, that is usually left to a judge. It's so long because lawyers like to talk.
whether or not this was a typo it made me giggle. Several of your guy's ex's/BM's are very poisonous!


I don't know the answer Katie, I just wanted to send you HUGS!
Keakie likes this.
__________________
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~


Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum
Matthew&Mark 08/24/2005 9w1d, Mattie Anne 04/07/2008 8w Mel&Dee 01/19/2010 (8 weeks) and 5 chemical pregnancies
Hope 07/22/2012@4w1d, Konnor 11/24/2012@3w6d,"Emmy"1/15/2013@ 3w6d, Ronen 02/10/2013@3w5d, Joy 07/19/2013@3w6d, "Pea" 09/06/2013@ 3w3d

Me: Hashi's, PCOS, Insulin resistant, Adenomyosis and Polyps.
175mcg Synthyroid, 1500mg Metformin
Colposcopy = CIN1+CIN2 cells
D&C/Hysterscopy/Polypectomy - August 21st - Follow up Sept 4
Him: MFI low count, low morphology, low motillity
Seeing MFI specialist/RE in 2015. Vitamins started August 2nd
Weight loss goal #1 - 10% body weight 23.4lbs - accomplished July 13 2014
Reply With Quote
  #5  
March 31st, 2012, 03:01 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Taneytown, MD
Posts: 114,733
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tithen~ View Post
whether or not this was a typo it made me giggle. Several of your guy's ex's/BM's are very poisonous!


I don't know the answer Katie, I just wanted to send you HUGS!
Auto correct fail.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:19 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0