saw this.

Forum: Blended Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By w292737

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blended Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2012, 03:23 PM
stucklikeglue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thought it could help if you didn't know your state regulations Latchkey Kids Legal Age Limits Listed By State

July 22nd, 2012, 07:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
FYI This isn't accurate. I checked Illinois because 14 didn't sound right. The only laws they have on the books are that 6 & under can't be left alone in a car for more than 10 minutes & a child can't be left for more than 24 hours without someone under the age of 14.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
July 22nd, 2012, 09:40 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
It's accurate for Maryland. No one under 8 can be left alone (in a house, car or other structure) unless they are in the care of someone 13 years or older.
July 23rd, 2012, 01:59 PM
Happy Mommy
accurate for here. no real law. it's based on each kid individual
pickle0313 likes this.
July 23rd, 2012, 04:17 PM
Baby Boy Coming in March!
Quote:
Originally Posted by w292737 View Post
accurate for here. no real law. it's based on each kid individual
Same here.

July 24th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well it isn't accurate for Illinois. They misread the law. The law is based on defining abandonment & neglect. Not latchkey kids. The law states that a child under the age of 14 can't be left alone for an "unreasonable" amount of time. Illinois Legal Aide defines that as over 24 hours. This implies that you can't leave a child under 14 home alone for any amount of time. Very different.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
July 24th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2miracles View Post
Well it isn't accurate for Illinois. They misread the law. The law is based on defining abandonment & neglect. Not latchkey kids. The law states that a child under the age of 14 can't be left alone for an "unreasonable" amount of time. Illinois Legal Aide defines that as over 24 hours. This implies that you can't leave a child under 14 home alone for any amount of time. Very different.
I think that's the problem with a lot of these laws. They are ambiguous at best, leaving a lot up to the interpretation of the responding agency. And Heaven forbid you happen to piss someone off, which is what I did when someone called CPS and I was found to have neglected Daniel for allowing him to play outside at 5 with his brother. The goofy CPS worker quoted the Maryland law as stated in this link and I challenged her on it because this specifically talks about leaving a child home alone or in a car or other structure where you don't have a direct view of them, not about letting a child play outside. So then she used the COMAR statute on neglect which states:

Quote:
The failure to give proper care and attention to a child including the leaving a child unattended where the child's health or welfare is harmed or a child is placed in substantial risk of harm.
Well sure, there is some risk of harm when a child plays outside, but what is considered "substantial"? And by who's standards? Obviously I felt he was safe to play half a block away outside with his then 9 year old brother. I eventually prevailed on appeal, but still a song and dance.

And that was a rabbit trail. Sorry. The fact is, it's still ambiguous and even if it's legal, that doesn't necessarily mean it's safe or acceptable. And if it's not legal, that doesn't mean it's necessarily bad. It's just not all black and white.
July 24th, 2012, 10:02 PM
stucklikeglue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry ladies if its not right for your state. My dsd will be watching my daughter for 30 mins when my school starts until my dp gets home. I was really trying to see if there was a law in fl. Seeing as there Isn't I'm happy. And she's trust worthy so good there.

Rachel, thats insane! My son, actually all my kids step included, go outside without me present. My 5 year doesn't unless one of the older kids or I are with him. Anyways I would not have been a happy camper!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search