Whose house do you live in?

Forum: Blended Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blended Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2012, 08:03 AM
Happy Mommy
When you and your So got together and moved in, did you move into your house, his(her) house, or a new place all together?

What swayed your decision the way it did?
July 31st, 2012, 08:19 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
When I met dh, he was *still* awaiting word from Chase about how to proceed with his house post-divorce. He stayed there for over a year after he stopped making payments and to this day the foreclosure has not finalized (it will next month). He moved out when he was laid off from his job and moved in with my il's temporarily while he looked for something else. I was still waiting for my immigration paperwork to be approved so I was living in Ontario. He found a job about 25 miles from where my il's live, and so when we decided to look for a home we chose to rent something in town. He signed the lease shortly before I moved and we moved in together. In June of this year we moved into another rental, but one that's bigger and closer to family and the church we'd prefer to attend.

We chose that route because we really had no choice. I think, though, that even if he could have afforded his former house after his support payments and even if he hadn't been laid off, we would have preferred to look for something else for the simple reason of wanting a fresh start somewhere that was just 'ours'.

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!
July 31st, 2012, 08:41 AM
Super Mommy
I moved into his house that he built with his ex wife. They were not in the house long enough together to make it a home! SO I have come in and really made it ours.
July 31st, 2012, 09:50 AM
.Katie.
His. Because he already owned and I was a single mom of two living in a little townhouse style apartment. This was the home he bought with his ex, but she never decorated for one reason or another. So he always says that I moved in and made it a home
July 31st, 2012, 10:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
He moved in to my house with me. I got stuck with the house during the divorce. He never owned a house - he moved around a lot with his job & just rented. Because the housing market was cruddy at the time, we got stuck living in the house I originally bought with my ex. But we're working on making it our house.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
July 31st, 2012, 12:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
when we first started dating I would stay his full two weeks home at his house that he shared with his sister(she had no job and nowhere else to go so he let her live there) and then I stayed at my house while he was at work.. at 6 months in we rented another house together because his sister was doing drugs and refused to leave, the house was his but his grandmother wouldn't give him the title so he could kick his sister out.

July 31st, 2012, 02:19 PM
Stepmom2Be's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When we first started dating, he had an apartment and I was renting a house that I had got on my own after my ex and I broke up.

His apartment flooded and he lost everything, so he moved in with his sister for a bit. O lives closer to me then his sister (she lives an hour away) so he started staying here during the week, then with O on the weekends, and then they just kinda moved in!

We plan to buy a house together after the wedding.
July 31st, 2012, 03:34 PM
Baby Boy Coming in March!
He moved in with me into the house I am renting but we are getting ready to move up north into a house together that will officially be "ours". Neither of us own a house. I gave my house to my ex in the divorce, and he was staying here or there, with family and friends just because he wasn't sure where his job would take him or where he wanted to live yet... He was kind of in limbo for the last 14 months... So yeah....

July 31st, 2012, 03:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy

Last edited by loveneverfails; September 3rd, 2012 at 01:46 PM.
July 31st, 2012, 04:17 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
the girls and I are going to be moving to live with Lauriel and her kids, at the start of next year....

Our decision was easy really.. her & her ex have 50/50 shared care of the kids & for her to move down here it would mean him agreeing to move as well... and he kept agreeing then saying no, agreeing then saying no... Emersyn's father is from up there & the plan was that him and his fiancee were going to move up when their baby is born in January, but they decided that they'd move to live with her Mum - but he still gave me his blessing to take Emersyn up to where Lauriel is.... So it means both girls will only occasionally get to see their fathers, but it's the best option.. well, the only option. I'm not doing long distance for a longer unknown period of time.. 7 months has been hard enough...

August 1st, 2012, 04:59 AM
I didnt intend to move in with him. I just happened to be spending all my time at his apartment so he asked me to move in with him. We have been in our house together now for a full month. We bought a home together, now DSS has a backyard and a pool and a place to ride his bike!
August 1st, 2012, 11:37 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keakie View Post
When I met dh, he was *still* awaiting word from Chase about how to proceed with his house post-divorce. He stayed there for over a year after he stopped making payments and to this day the foreclosure has not finalized (it will next month).
My next door neighbor moved out of their house over 2 years ago to let the bank take it back and the bank sends people to take care of the lawn, but they still have not foreclosed. Sometimes a bank knows that the house would sit in their REO department and they'd have to try to get a renter, maintain it and in the end it would cost them more than just doing the bare minimum of maintenance (i.e., lawn care) and let it remain in default. Dumb, but since I worked for an attorney that did foreclosures, this was something we saw all the time.

Anyway, when I met Neely he was staying with his mom. He had just been in an accident and lost his job and therefore lost his apartment. He moved into a room share situation shortly after we met, and he stayed there till he moved into my house. My house was still in my ex boyfriend's name, so he wouldn't officially move in till it was out of his name.
August 1st, 2012, 12:35 PM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
My next door neighbor moved out of their house over 2 years ago to let the bank take it back and the bank sends people to take care of the lawn, but they still have not foreclosed. Sometimes a bank knows that the house would sit in their REO department and they'd have to try to get a renter, maintain it and in the end it would cost them more than just doing the bare minimum of maintenance (i.e., lawn care) and let it remain in default. Dumb, but since I worked for an attorney that did foreclosures, this was something we saw all the time.
I believe it. He called the bank in late 2009 to tell them he wasn't going to be able to make the payments and they couldn't do anything about it until he had missed x number of payments, then they insisted on us sending in a refinancing package including pay stubs, utilities, support order, etc. showing why we couldn't make the payment (I'm assuming they have to show that they "tried" to refinance before deciding to foreclose). We sent it in no less than 6 times over the course of nearly a year, and every time they would write us back saying they never got it and to try to send it again. By the time dh moved out in January 2011 we just started ignoring the requests for the package so they could just get on with it. It's being foreclosed on officially in a couple of weeks and being auctioned off in September.

We originally looked into a short sale but our state is one of the ones that considers the amount of mortgage debt "forgiven" by the tank to be "income" and since we didn't want to be taxed heavily for that (the house would have short-sold for $20-30k less than what dh paid for it) we didn't feel we had much of a choice.

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!
August 1st, 2012, 02:54 PM
stucklikeglue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Kayla that sounds like my state lol. I keep telling dp to short sale this place but now you just reminded me of the Irs and income thing. Ugh.

I was living on the beach when I met dp but I would always just stay at his house. He asked me to move in several times in 6 months but I kept telling him no. Even though I practically did lol. I eventually moved in with him. It was his and his ex's. I hate the house. Its way to small and there is no cabinets or closets. It was originally 2 bedrooms one bath but the previous owners turned the garage into a bath and bedroom. So its a tiny living room a tiny kitchen and a tiny dinning room that we live in.

August 1st, 2012, 07:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We moved into a place together. I was 18, living with my parents (they were NOT about to let us live together in their house....sinnin' and winnin'!!!) and he was living in the barracks. I had a key and my clothes were in the closet but yeah...can't move in there!
August 2nd, 2012, 11:12 PM
ShesaDreamer's Avatar If Only. If Only <3
I moved in with DH into his house. He got the house in the divorce because she stole his check book and wrote a bunch of bad checks on him. So he didn't press charges and she signed the house over to him. But it was really a blank slate. There was nothing just flat white paint on the walls. We have done improvements and I have decorated the way that I want so instead of her house its our house. Plus the face that she wasn't even here a year makes a difference too.

DD A:3 Autism, Global Developmental Delays

August 3rd, 2012, 08:24 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
We were both living with our parents when we first met but 6 months in I got my own apartment. From there he slowly moved in. I got tired of him spending the night then waking up early to go back to his moms and get ready for work. He had started looking for a place and was going to move in with a friend that he didn't really want to move in with but was desperate to get out of his moms place so I told him to just move in with me. Now, we own our first house.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

August 5th, 2012, 09:47 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When we got together I owned my own home and he lived in an apartment. His 3 bedroom apartment had 2 full bathrooms and was bigger than my house. My house only had 1 bathroom, a smaller kitchen than his place, and 2 of his bedrooms were bigger. I did have a big fenced in yard though. Anyways we agreed that moving into his place was better because it was bigger. Plus he lived in a better school district than I did. His rent was less than my mortgage so it worked out. I just found renters for my house that pretty much covered my mortgage.

His ex had lived there with him and I HATED that. She also had left behind a lot of her stuff and decor. He had not changed much since she moved out because he is a guy and wasn't gonna decorate. He didn't take down decor because he said it would have looked too plain.

Before I moved in I had him clean the place out and get every last bit of her stuff out. He also took down most of the decor (I agreed to a few things because they were either his personal items or things I actually liked. lol). I brought decor from my home and we redecorated. We went and got some family pics taken and put them up.

We agreed to live there a year or so till we saved money for a down payment on a house that could be "ours". Within a year we did buy a home together and move out of the apartment.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search