School registration issues

Forum: Blended Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blended Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 7th, 2012, 11:06 AM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Usually I am the one to fill out all the forms for school registration. I usually go to the school stuff. Hubby goes when his work schedule permits, but for the most part I handle all of that. I don't mind, I love all the school stuff. None of it has ever been an issue.

This year we had to register my stepdaughter for the local high school. Since she was in 3rd grade we have lived in this town and she has gone to school here. I filled out all the high school paperwork. Then they needed a copy off his court custody paperwork and our marriage certificate for us to register us. I dropped that off. Then I go to the orientation and they would not let me sign for her student planner and to set up the account to check her grades online!! I looked at the lady like she was crazy and pointed out I had filled out all the paperwork in front of her, I had brought in all the documents she needed, and she had the marriage certificate showing that I was married to her custodial parent. That wasn't good enough and we had to go back when hubby got home from work.

What a pain!!! Now I am wondering if when I register my son next year I am going to run into issues because I don't have my court paperwork showing I have custody of him.

August 7th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Uhm...it's likely. I'd contact the courts and try to get them to send you copies of your file.
August 7th, 2012, 11:40 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Ughh what a hassle. I made DH deal with all the school registration and other stuff regarding dsd. I knew I had no grounds, married or not, even with the same last name. I can pick her up and go to her parent teacher conferences, but that's where the schools here draw the line.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

August 7th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
that is one thing I worry about, should we have get the kids full time with DH being gone half the time and working or sleeping during business hours I would have to deal with all the school stuff and I know it would be a battle..

August 7th, 2012, 08:15 PM
ShesaDreamer's Avatar If Only. If Only <3
The elementary school knows the situation. But I'm a bit worried about when B goes to middle school this year. We haven't put his mom on the sign out seet in years because she abused the privledge. She would sign them out then sign them back in the same day. But the middle school is bigger and she might be able to get away with her old tricks. I think I may just have to talk to the principal and secretary when we go for his oreintation. Dh will be with me so that should help out.

DD A:3 Autism, Global Developmental Delays

August 8th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
The schools here know our situation and will talk to me. The elementary school will allow me to pick up the kids for doctor's appointments and what not, but the middle school wouldn't allow it. I had to get Neely to call them to authorize me pick them up. It's a hassle, but they have rules to follow, so it's whatever. I figure I'll always be a non-person to the schools.
August 8th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
What a hassle!

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for our awesome banner and my fabulous siggie!
August 8th, 2012, 06:08 AM
Super Mommy
What a hassle! Sorry you have to deal with it!
August 8th, 2012, 09:24 AM
stucklikeglue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
that sounds terrible. My dp always goes to do that stuff the kids (his) and I just tag along. The only problem is comes from bm1 because she wants to be listed as an emergency contact and dp puts me down because I am 7 mins from the house and bm is 2 hours away. I understand how she feels but at the same time if something happens I can get there faster then both their mom and dad.

Now Im in hassles with my ex because the kids start school the 20th and my son is still not registered for kindergarten. He says hes waiting on his sister to go with him. But Im his mother why cant we just go together?! Driving me crazy!!

August 8th, 2012, 10:57 AM
pmdc5286's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to pmdc5286 Send a message via Yahoo to pmdc5286
I guess we are just really lucky. It is part of having a small school system. I am first call for all three kids. Jonah works and does not always get reception at work so the call order is me, my mom, Jonah, my dad. If by then they have not gotten anyone, they will call Robert's mom for him or my grandmother. I can do the same things with Robert that his dad does. I had to fill out medication forms Monday because Jonah had to work. The only form Jonah actually signed was the enrollment form to transfer him to our county. I take all the kids to the drs and dentist and where ever they need to go.
August 8th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow what a hassle! I had no idea. Do bio mom's have to provide custody papers? Just wondering because I didn't have to the 1 year I enrolled dd before dh adopted her. Our living arrangement was not even questioned. I put dh as the 2nd emergency contact. So I'm wondering if it's different because I'm the mom or if my state is different (I live in a big city so that's not a factor).

At our school, anyone I give written permission to can be an emergency contact or take my kids out of school.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
August 8th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Happy Mommy
holy **** are you serious?? that's insane!
August 8th, 2012, 01:15 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Kris, I honestly don't think bm's are ever questioned. I know I've never been with both T or Kev. It's a bit of a stereotype if you ask me. I have to register Kev with our new school soon, I'll let you know if I get any hassle about it.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

August 8th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.A.T View Post
Kris, I honestly don't think bm's are ever questioned. I know I've never been with both T or Kev. It's a bit of a stereotype if you ask me. I have to register Kev with our new school soon, I'll let you know if I get any hassle about it.

That's what I was thinking. So unfair!

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
August 8th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2miracles View Post
Wow what a hassle! I had no idea. Do bio mom's have to provide custody papers? Just wondering because I didn't have to the 1 year I enrolled dd before dh adopted her. Our living arrangement was not even questioned. I put dh as the 2nd emergency contact. So I'm wondering if it's different because I'm the mom or if my state is different (I live in a big city so that's not a factor).

At our school, anyone I give written permission to can be an emergency contact or take my kids out of school.
Here the enrollment forms asks who has custody of the child and if you don't answer mom and dad, they then ask for custody paperwork. I didn't have to provide it for my older kids, but we had joint custody.

And when we initially registered W&C here, Neely didn't technically have legal custody. We had to prove by providing a copy of the pleadings we had filed that they lived here and then when we finally got the order, provide that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search