Log In Sign Up

Lice.


Forum: Blended Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By ShesaDreamer
  • 2 Post By Rachel
  • 1 Post By ShesaDreamer
  • 1 Post By K.A.T
  • 3 Post By plan4fate
  • 1 Post By ShesaDreamer

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blended Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
September 12th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Stepmom2Be's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,199
So when we got back from camping, (on labor day) O went to his moms. Erics sister texted us that night and said 2 of the boys that went with us had lice. One had bugs, one had eggs.

We texted BM to check O. Next day, (Tues the 4th) she texts that he is infested. "My poor baby. I'm sure he's the one that spread it to the other boys. I spent 3 hours picking bugs and eggs out of his head. he was screaming. I feel guilty but I have to send him to school tomorrow with a note, I just cant miss class."

So I called the nurse on the 4th. She checked the whole class, including O and found NOT A SINGLE BUG OR EGG.

We happened to pick him up that day bc she had a late class. I also checked him, nothing. She came to pick him up, i suggested he get a hair cut since he was clear and shorter hair is harder to get lice. She thanked me.

We pick him up Monday from school, (We let her keep him Sunday to make up for the extra day we had camping,) and she texts Eric. "I think I found a few more bugs last night, please do another treatment on O."

I checked, nothing.

She calls him today and he put it on speakerphone. She quizzes him on if we did a treatment. He said no. They hang up. We proceed to get these texts.

"Please I cannot stress enough the importance of another treatment. if he comes back with nits I ask that he stay with me for 2 weeks to rid him of them. Deal?"

So Eric said "There is nothing there we have checked both days. question.. if he had lice, why would you take him to get a haircut?"

She said "A suggestion of your fiancee. Plus I only found 2 originally. Please it is your responsibility not to neglect this situation."


Sooooo You say he's infested, but you send him to school anyway? Then we say he's clear, so you take him to get his haircut because you trust us. THEN, you claim to find more, and send him to school anyway."

The crazy is off the charts today, ladies.
__________________
Jennifer - Married to Eric 3.10.13 - Full Time Stepmom to OwenPregnant with our first together <3 Due July 12, 2015
Reply With Quote
  #2  
September 12th, 2012, 06:10 PM
ShesaDreamer's Avatar If Only. If Only <3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: In the Wild and Wonderful
Posts: 4,844
Well a way to not dose him with more chemicals and still tell him you are doing a "treatment" Is to slather his hed in Coconut conditioner and leave it set. Coconut is a natural lice detterent and if you tell him that you are treating him then he will tell her.But tere s no need o actually treat him if he doesn't have any nits or bugs.
Rachel and Ember Rose like this.
__________________
Me 26

DD A:3 Autism, Global Developmental Delays


Reply With Quote
  #3  
September 12th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Taneytown, MD
Posts: 114,906
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesaDreamer View Post
Well a way to not dose him with more chemicals and still tell him you are doing a "treatment" Is to slather his hed in Coconut conditioner and leave it set. Coconut is a natural lice detterent and if you tell him that you are treating him then he will tell her.But tere s no need o actually treat him if he doesn't have any nits or bugs.
Good idea!

My friend puts something in her daughter's hair everyday that is supposed to be a detterent, I wanna say it's tea tree oil or at least has tea tree oil in it.
Ember Rose and Keakie like this.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
September 12th, 2012, 06:56 PM
ShesaDreamer's Avatar If Only. If Only <3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: In the Wild and Wonderful
Posts: 4,844
Tea Tree oil is a good detterent and also a insecticide. It will keep them away and kill any that it come in contact with. Also Sweet Anise. But it smells like licorice. I make homemade lice shampoo with Dawn Vinegar and tea tree oil.
Ember Rose likes this.
__________________
Me 26

DD A:3 Autism, Global Developmental Delays


Reply With Quote
  #5  
September 12th, 2012, 07:36 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,499
I like the idea of doing something natural. Sounds like she's setting it up to get extra time with O.
Ember Rose likes this.
__________________

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11



Reply With Quote
  #6  
September 12th, 2012, 09:57 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 26,601
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
Dr. Bronners tea tree oil shampoo. It'll work, and is a shampoo, body wash, and you can even wash your sheets with if it you do it right

Def sounds like she's trying to get more time with him. You might want to tell her until she can get the lice issue at HER HOME under control it would be a bad idea for O to even go back. See how she likes that one
Ember Rose, K.A.T and pickle0313 like this.
__________________
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~


Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum

Me: Hashi's, PCOS, Insulin resistant, Multiple miscarriages
Polypectomy - 08/21/14 Laproscopy - 12/05/2014
Him: MFI low count, low morphology, low motillity
Seeing MFI specialist/RE in 2015. Vitamins started August 2nd
Cycle 1: Clomid cd3-7 ~ bfn
Cycle 2: Clomid cd 3-7 ~ beta negative (< 3)
Cycle 3: Lap on cd 2 - Femara cd 3-7 - Testing Christmas Day
Reply With Quote
  #7  
September 12th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Stepmom2Be's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesaDreamer View Post
Well a way to not dose him with more chemicals and still tell him you are doing a "treatment" Is to slather his hed in Coconut conditioner and leave it set. Coconut is a natural lice detterent and if you tell him that you are treating him then he will tell her.But tere s no need o actually treat him if he doesn't have any nits or bugs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
Good idea!

My friend puts something in her daughter's hair everyday that is supposed to be a detterent, I wanna say it's tea tree oil or at least has tea tree oil in it.
Well my sister in laws mom owns a hair salon, so we took him to her house tonight and she saw absolutely nothing. I made sure he washed his hair really well in the shower, and we're sticking with not treating. Tea tree oil is a deterrent, I have heard. However, he has a VERY sensitive scalp. A month or so ago he had a bad case of dry scalp. It was flaky and peeling and itched him really bad. She didn't know what to do, she thought her ac coils were causing it because they were dirty. So I bought this gel stuff for dry scalp and within the week he was with us, it was better.

Tea tree probably wouldnt be too hard though would it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.A.T View Post
I like the idea of doing something natural. Sounds like she's setting it up to get extra time with O.
Oh i am sure of it. I think shes doing it to try to switch weeks. As it is right now, we have him for most of his school breaks. (Its actually pretty fair, we have him a week in oct, one week out of his 2 in dec, and she has him spring break.) However, we get him for xmas eve which is a monday, so he wont be going back to her that sunday, we will have him sunday the 16th until the 25th at 10am.

I think shes doing it to switch weeks with us.


Quote:
Originally Posted by plan4fate View Post
Dr. Bronners tea tree oil shampoo. It'll work, and is a shampoo, body wash, and you can even wash your sheets with if it you do it right

Def sounds like she's trying to get more time with him. You might want to tell her until she can get the lice issue at HER HOME under control it would be a bad idea for O to even go back. See how she likes that one
Oooh tea tree oil shampoo! I like!

I love that answer! We're going to tell her he was checked by a professional and we don't believe in overtreating him for something that isn't there.

Thanks for the input guys!
__________________
Jennifer - Married to Eric 3.10.13 - Full Time Stepmom to OwenPregnant with our first together <3 Due July 12, 2015
Reply With Quote
  #8  
September 13th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,684
She wouldn't just be able to send him to school with a note saying he's got lice and him be allowed to stay right? That seems off.

If you're treating for lice you have to treat the home too. I'd tell her you've cleared out your home, your home and O have been checked by a pro and if she still has concerns maybe O should stay with you until she gets her house cleared out.
__________________
J Married to D 08.21.2009
Bonus Mama to R (14) and M (7)
Warm up your home with a fabulous warmer and some of our scentsational scents! PM me for details!!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
September 13th, 2012, 08:02 AM
ShesaDreamer's Avatar If Only. If Only <3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: In the Wild and Wonderful
Posts: 4,844
you can actually add tea tree oil to any shampoo you already have. They sell it with the vitamins in Walmart. Just add a few drops in and shake it up real good.
Rachel likes this.
__________________
Me 26

DD A:3 Autism, Global Developmental Delays


Reply With Quote
  #10  
September 13th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Baby Boy Coming in March!
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Phoenix-Metro area
Posts: 1,842
Her crazy makes me laugh. So sorry you have to deal with it. I say stick to your guns. Natural route, if necessary, but no chemicals if you don't see any physical evidence of lice. That's just absurd for her to suggest if there's nothing there.

That being said, he has a sensitive & dry scalp at times, maybe what she saw was not lice, but flaking from his scalp? It's clear she's not the brightest bulb in the box, afterall...

Oh and a stylist I know recommended tea tree oil FOR dry scalp for my son so I think it would be okay for O... But no idea for sure?
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #11  
September 13th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Taneytown, MD
Posts: 114,906
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle0313 View Post
Oh and a stylist I know recommended tea tree oil FOR dry scalp for my son so I think it would be okay for O... But no idea for sure?
Yeah, tea tree oil shouldn't hurt his scalp at all. It will add moisture because it's an oil.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
September 13th, 2012, 04:01 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesaDreamer View Post
Well a way to not dose him with more chemicals and still tell him you are doing a "treatment" Is to slather his hed in Coconut conditioner and leave it set. Coconut is a natural lice detterent and if you tell him that you are treating him then he will tell her.But tere s no need o actually treat him if he doesn't have any nits or bugs.
I had to do this for SD. Lice was going around her school and she got sent home with it. But it really was just dandruff. She gets it bad at times and then we use Neutrogena T-Gel shampoos for a while and it goes away. (don't keep using that shampoo after it clears up though because it makes her hair dried out and frizzy). I KNOW what lice is/looks like because I dated a guy who's kids got it bad and it took forever to get rid of it! I became lice-a-phibic! LOL Everytime they got back from their moms we had to strip them down, bag their clothes, bathe them, and then check for lice and comb out nits and bugs. It was awful! In their moms defense I think that the infestation was so bad in her home and in her families homes by the time they caught it that it was really hard to get rid of it.

Anyways I tried telling the nurse it was dandruff when I went into the school and looked (there were no bugs...nurse said just nits). She wouldn't trust me on it.

So we went home and I did just what you said because I knew she would be quizzed by the school if she had a treatment.

Funny thing is she never got lice. All those chemicals are not good, so if they don't need them don't use them.
__________________
Mom2more






Reply With Quote
  #13  
September 13th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Stepmom2Be's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ember Rose View Post
She wouldn't just be able to send him to school with a note saying he's got lice and him be allowed to stay right? That seems off.

If you're treating for lice you have to treat the home too. I'd tell her you've cleared out your home, your home and O have been checked by a pro and if she still has concerns maybe O should stay with you until she gets her house cleared out.
She claimed she had to treat her entire place. I have never seen one bug on him here, so I have no interest in treating mine for imaginary lice, lol.

And the nurse said he did show up to school with a note, discreately gave it to the teacher, and they checked the whole class. Had anything shown up, he would have been sent home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesaDreamer View Post
you can actually add tea tree oil to any shampoo you already have. They sell it with the vitamins in Walmart. Just add a few drops in and shake it up real good.
Sweet thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle0313 View Post
Her crazy makes me laugh. So sorry you have to deal with it. I say stick to your guns. Natural route, if necessary, but no chemicals if you don't see any physical evidence of lice. That's just absurd for her to suggest if there's nothing there.

That being said, he has a sensitive & dry scalp at times, maybe what she saw was not lice, but flaking from his scalp? It's clear she's not the brightest bulb in the box, afterall...

Oh and a stylist I know recommended tea tree oil FOR dry scalp for my son so I think it would be okay for O... But no idea for sure?
Well a month ago he had a VERY flaky scalp. We used a special gel on his head and it took about a week or so, but I got it to go away. So it's possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
Yeah, tea tree oil shouldn't hurt his scalp at all. It will add moisture because it's an oil.
Oh okay cool. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2more View Post
I had to do this for SD. Lice was going around her school and she got sent home with it. But it really was just dandruff. She gets it bad at times and then we use Neutrogena T-Gel shampoos for a while and it goes away. (don't keep using that shampoo after it clears up though because it makes her hair dried out and frizzy). I KNOW what lice is/looks like because I dated a guy who's kids got it bad and it took forever to get rid of it! I became lice-a-phibic! LOL Everytime they got back from their moms we had to strip them down, bag their clothes, bathe them, and then check for lice and comb out nits and bugs. It was awful! In their moms defense I think that the infestation was so bad in her home and in her families homes by the time they caught it that it was really hard to get rid of it.

Anyways I tried telling the nurse it was dandruff when I went into the school and looked (there were no bugs...nurse said just nits). She wouldn't trust me on it.

So we went home and I did just what you said because I knew she would be quizzed by the school if she had a treatment.

Funny thing is she never got lice. All those chemicals are not good, so if they don't need them don't use them.
Yeah it's crazy. I know it's hard to treat. My whole thing was she first claimed he was infested, and then it was "I only found 2." Her story keeps changing.
__________________
Jennifer - Married to Eric 3.10.13 - Full Time Stepmom to OwenPregnant with our first together <3 Due July 12, 2015
Reply With Quote
  #14  
September 13th, 2012, 08:57 PM
stucklikeglue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: sunny state
Posts: 2,424
I have input first you are ONLY suppose to use that medication the first time and then not again for another two weeks, its bad for you and lice will become immune. We battle it constantly here in fl. Ugh! I hate it!

And secondly because I know from my dsd and now because of school, no and I mean no hair stylist will cut anyone's hair if they even see 1 nit. no joke. You are to stop what you are doing and inform the parent or the person. because it is so contagious. We went a couple years ago to get my dsd hair cut for school and the lady found nits. she stopped what she was doing and came and told us she can no longer continue.

so if in fact he did and or does (which clearly he doesn't) he wouldn't have gotten his hair cut by a professional and you def don't want to be using those chemicals that close together.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #15  
September 13th, 2012, 09:06 PM
ShesaDreamer's Avatar If Only. If Only <3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: In the Wild and Wonderful
Posts: 4,844
WE fought lice here for 3 months. And I finally kicked it with this stuff called LiceFree Spray. It's all natural and you don't have to comb it out. It kills the bugs and the nits. Angelica woldn't hold still so I could get them all so she kept reinfesting us all. But that stuff is awesome. It kills everything and then I just pick them out as I see them. I last treated her 2 weeks ago and I still haven't found a live bug on her. No dead ones now either just nits that are dead. It's awesome.
__________________
Me 26

DD A:3 Autism, Global Developmental Delays


Reply With Quote
  #16  
September 13th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Stepmom2Be's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by stucklikeglue View Post
I have input first you are ONLY suppose to use that medication the first time and then not again for another two weeks, its bad for you and lice will become immune. We battle it constantly here in fl. Ugh! I hate it!

And secondly because I know from my dsd and now because of school, no and I mean no hair stylist will cut anyone's hair if they even see 1 nit. no joke. You are to stop what you are doing and inform the parent or the person. because it is so contagious. We went a couple years ago to get my dsd hair cut for school and the lady found nits. she stopped what she was doing and came and told us she can no longer continue.

so if in fact he did and or does (which clearly he doesn't) he wouldn't have gotten his hair cut by a professional and you def don't want to be using those chemicals that close together.
The RIT stuff directions said to retreat in 7-10 days to kill any freshly hatched eggs. But I agree, we're not treating for something we don't see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesaDreamer View Post
WE fought lice here for 3 months. And I finally kicked it with this stuff called LiceFree Spray. It's all natural and you don't have to comb it out. It kills the bugs and the nits. Angelica woldn't hold still so I could get them all so she kept reinfesting us all. But that stuff is awesome. It kills everything and then I just pick them out as I see them. I last treated her 2 weeks ago and I still haven't found a live bug on her. No dead ones now either just nits that are dead. It's awesome.
Sweet! Thanks! I'll keep that in mind if these mysterious lice ever do show up
__________________
Jennifer - Married to Eric 3.10.13 - Full Time Stepmom to OwenPregnant with our first together <3 Due July 12, 2015
Reply With Quote
  #17  
September 14th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,124
Hairspray is a cheap, easy deterrent. Also, blow drying hair works the best if he does get them. Lice need moisture to survive. Using the hair dryer kills them.
__________________
Kris

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:03 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0