Log In Sign Up

Caught O lying.


Forum: Blended Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By plan4fate
  • 1 Post By Rachel
  • 1 Post By Keakie

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blended Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
September 13th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Stepmom2Be's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,081
This morning was a bit off for us.

Owen's alarm goes off at 6:50 am. Mine goes off at 6:45. I snoozed today, and Eric and I both got up at 7am. As I walk down the hallway, I hear Eric talking to Owen. "Are you sure you ate breakfast?" "Yeah, dad."

So Eric pulls me aside and says "I think Owen is lying to me. He claims he had cereal but there's no evidence anywhere and he's playing video games now. He's only been up for 10 minutes."

So I say, "Owen what kind of cereal did you have?" He cant remember.

"Which bowl did you use?" He points to a bowl in the dishwasher that I used 2 nights ago. And it's bone dry. Then he takes a box of cocoa pebbles out of the cupboard and says, "I had these."

So I say, "Here is my problem. That bowl is completely dry. And we just bought a brand new gallon on milk last night and it's not even opened yet, yet you claim you had cereal."

All the sudden, his face goes blank. He realized he was caught. Eric asked him why he was lying and he started crying and said he didn't know why. I think it's because he didn't want to miss out on playing video games. So we took away his video games. For the rest of the week, no video games. (However, tomorrow we're going to a baseball game, Saturday is his b-day party, and Sunday we're going to a water park, so when would he even play?) But when he comes back after his week with his mom, he has lost the privilege of video games in the morning.

What a stupid thing to lie about.
__________________
Jennifer - Married to Eric 3.10.13 - Full Time Stepmom to Owen - TTC our first together- 1 year and counting
Reply With Quote
  #2  
September 13th, 2012, 04:56 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,676
Video games are the devil! LOL

About a year ago we were wondering why our boys were so tired in the morning and having such a hard time waking when they were going to bed early enough to get 9-10 hours of sleep. Ended up finding out that they were sneaking downstairs in the middle of the night to play video games!

We don't allow video games before school anymore. And on weekends/days off they have to be dressed, fed, teeth brushed, hair combed, and chores done before video games. Otherwise they were waking up at 5am to get on the video games.

I think you are doing the right thing by taking them away for lying. Better to nip the lying in the bud.
__________________
Mom2more






Reply With Quote
  #3  
September 13th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,684
The sooner you squash lying the better.

Boys will be boys and most of them would rather play than do anything else.
__________________
J Married to D 08.21.2009
Bonus Mama to R (14) and M (7)
Warm up your home with a fabulous warmer and some of our scentsational scents! PM me for details!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
September 13th, 2012, 05:32 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 26,086
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
Yikes!!!

Lying = not cool.

like mom2more there aren't any video games before school here (and won't ever be). We are lazy beings on the weekend, so there's no requirements there, but I do have the rule of "if I say you're done, you're done, and no complaining." Even DH has the rule. LOL
Ember Rose likes this.
__________________
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~


Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum
Matthew and Mark 08/24/2005 9w1d, Mattie Anne 04/07/2008 8w Mel and Dee 01/19/2010 (8 weeks) and 5 chemical pregnancies
Hope 07/22/2012@4w1d,Konnor 11/24/2012@3w6d,"Emmy"1/15/2013@ 3w6d,Ronen 02/10/2013@3w5d,Joy 07/19/2013@3w6d, "Pea" 09/06/2013@ 3w3d


Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, PCOS, Insulin resistant.
150mcg Synthyroid, 500mg Metformin (aiming for 1500mg)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
September 13th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Taneytown, MD
Posts: 114,383
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Yeah, sounds like some of the dumb things our boys have lied about. And yeah, we don't allow video games in the morning at all even on weekends, they can't play games until they have had breakfast.
Ember Rose likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
September 13th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Stepmom2Be's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2more View Post
Video games are the devil! LOL

About a year ago we were wondering why our boys were so tired in the morning and having such a hard time waking when they were going to bed early enough to get 9-10 hours of sleep. Ended up finding out that they were sneaking downstairs in the middle of the night to play video games!

We don't allow video games before school anymore. And on weekends/days off they have to be dressed, fed, teeth brushed, hair combed, and chores done before video games. Otherwise they were waking up at 5am to get on the video games.

I think you are doing the right thing by taking them away for lying. Better to nip the lying in the bud.
Yeah this was the first issue that we have had with them. But then I started thinking and last time he was with us he kept saying he ate a pop tart and there were never any wrappers in the trash...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ember Rose View Post
The sooner you squash lying the better.

Boys will be boys and most of them would rather play than do anything else.
Yeah had it just been "Oh I didnt eat yet whoops I'd rather play" then it wouldnt have been as bad. It was the lying I cant stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plan4fate View Post
Yikes!!!

Lying = not cool.

like mom2more there aren't any video games before school here (and won't ever be). We are lazy beings on the weekend, so there's no requirements there, but I do have the rule of "if I say you're done, you're done, and no complaining." Even DH has the rule. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
Yeah, sounds like some of the dumb things our boys have lied about. And yeah, we don't allow video games in the morning at all even on weekends, they can't play games until they have had breakfast.
Yup. Smart. I learn as I go, but the funny thing is it's a N64, not even some big expensive one, lol
__________________
Jennifer - Married to Eric 3.10.13 - Full Time Stepmom to Owen - TTC our first together- 1 year and counting
Reply With Quote
  #7  
September 14th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,752
I had this problem with Ethan, he is so obsessive about games, its really bad.
He has to ask permission anytime he plays though and the xbox is in our room, which helps me cut down some. DH doesn't think its bad, but thats because he is as into the games as Ethan is lol
__________________






Reply With Quote
  #8  
September 14th, 2012, 09:58 AM
.Katie.
Guest
Posts: n/a
He will learn! There's nothing wrong with making the rule that he can't play/watch anything until he is ready for school. That's how we do things anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
September 15th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Near the land of cream cheese
Posts: 5,306
We don't have my dsc on school days so it's a little different here. We're lax about video games in the morning because they can be early risers and if it keeps them quiet for an extra 30 minutes before we get up, it's fine by us. That said, we don't have a problem getting them to stop the games and eat breakfast when they're asked to. Dh also doesn't eat breakfast himself so he's not as concerned about their eating as soon as they get up.

If it were a school morning, it would be entirely different though.

Here, if it's obvious that someone is lying, we don't even give them the opportunity to continue lying. We would have said something like, "You didn't eat breakfast. I don't see a bowl and you have only been up for 10 minutes. Turn the game off and pour yourself some cereal."
pickle0313 likes this.
__________________

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for our awesome banner and my fabulous siggie!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
September 15th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Stepmom2Be's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keakie View Post
We don't have my dsc on school days so it's a little different here. We're lax about video games in the morning because they can be early risers and if it keeps them quiet for an extra 30 minutes before we get up, it's fine by us. That said, we don't have a problem getting them to stop the games and eat breakfast when they're asked to. Dh also doesn't eat breakfast himself so he's not as concerned about their eating as soon as they get up.

If it were a school morning, it would be entirely different though.

Here, if it's obvious that someone is lying, we don't even give them the opportunity to continue lying. We would have said something like, "You didn't eat breakfast. I don't see a bowl and you have only been up for 10 minutes. Turn the game off and pour yourself some cereal."
The thing was that we weren't positive that he was lying. Only when he pointed to the bowl I used the night before was I sure
__________________
Jennifer - Married to Eric 3.10.13 - Full Time Stepmom to Owen - TTC our first together- 1 year and counting
Reply With Quote
  #11  
September 20th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Happy Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 21,659
he's at that age.

just tell him no video games/tv in the mornings and that will fix that
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:02 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0