Bonding with stepkids... how long?

Forum: Blended Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GinnyBeGood

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blended Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
How long did it take you all to bond with your stepkids??? I have bonded quite quickly with the 9yo (girl) - but am really struggling to bond with the 5yo (boy)... It's weird, I thought he would be the one I would bond with the easiest, and I'd have trouble with the 9yo, but we get on really well.

I feel guilty for not bonding with him... Lauriel and I have spoken about it, she's admitted she feels the same about Gaby... I know it'll happen, but... I just wish it would happen sooner, rather than later... because I know I'm supposed to love him like he's my own... right?

May 13th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaby&Emmy'sMama View Post
because I know I'm supposed to love him like he's my own... right?
um...No, you are not required to love him like he's your own. That may happen eventually but may not. You are required to treat him like he was your own. And you are required to include him in your family life without issues. Falling in love with your step-children is just like falling in love with your spouse. Sometimes it's love at first sight and sometimes it has to grow over time. Just don't ever confuse loving them with liking, understanding or having a lot in common! I have his/hers/ours kids (6!) and though I love all of them, I am closer to some than others and that has nothing to do with which ones are his/mine/ours.
stresswife likes this.
May 14th, 2013, 11:43 AM
stucklikeglue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Its been almost 5 years here and we are still bonding. I say it takes time and patience. I love them like I had them but it gets hard when you have a bio parent telling you theyre not yours. I treat them as though I would treat mine too. no special privileges in any of them except for the age department. I dont expect a 6 yr old to be able to do and handle themselves as I do a 14 year old. thats just crazy.

May 14th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No, I read a step mothering book and it made me realize I don't have to feel guilty if I don't love them like my own, there is a difference in my love for my own child and my love for my stepkids, It's been 5 years and I'm still bonding with mine.

May 14th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Super Mommy
Bonding can take lots of times. With K I feel like we take 1 step forward and 2 steps back, but we have been getting there. Time will tell!
May 16th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
thanks for the replies... I don't feel quite so bad now.

May 16th, 2013, 07:11 PM
HippieLove's Avatar Modern Day Brady Bunch
Send a message via MSN to HippieLove
Don't feel guilty, I agree that it is something that comes quickly or slowly, but you can't force it. The only thing you have to do, is make sure everyone is treated properly and equally- Which I know you would do. I have bonded with my SS, very quickly and with ease. He is 9 too. My SD and I have a friendship but she's older and we won't ever had a step mum- step daughter, relationship I don't believe but just a friendship.

Emma, girlfriend of Loz, future step-mama to J (15) and K (10), Mama to Jaelah (8), Oliver (5), Mianna (4) and Harper (2), WTTC our first together, in 2015.
May 18th, 2013, 12:00 AM
Gee Gee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think me and my (unofficial) SD have bonding right away since day 1. But she's also only 2. I have a stepmom as well. My dad married her when I was 2 and I don't remember her ever not being around.
May 20th, 2013, 08:12 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
It's so hard I have days where DSD and I are great and I truly feel like I love her like my own. I love her all the time, but there are days that I LOVE her. And then there are days where I have jealousy towards her (I hate to admit that, but it's true ) or where she just drives me crazy and we aren't as close. It isn't always just her behavior that dictates how our relationship is, either. I think it's just the adjustment of blending families, and regardless of my feelings on a particular day, I do my best not to let how I feel show and always treat her well and respectfully.

May 20th, 2013, 09:38 PM
stucklikeglue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
sometimes I feel the same way. Time and patience.

July 30th, 2013, 10:38 PM
My now husband and my son are not bondig at all..its been a year. I feel alot has to do with my ex..he still is not over the divorce and my son wants me and the ex back together.

When me and the ex were together he was pretty much MIA..I played mommy and daddy so my son is SUPER close and protective of me. I sure hope this changes. My now hubby wants very much for them to bond and tries like crazy as much as he can

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search