my story

Forum: Blended Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blended Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2005, 09:45 PM
theycallmelisa
I've taken over the role of being Michaels mom since he was only 8 months old. The story of his biological mother is a long and sad (almost pathetic type of sad) one. She walked out on him and his father when he was just over 1 month old.

At first, because things moved quickly with his father and I, accepting Michael as my son was somewhat difficult. At times I thought I accepted him as much as I should have, but looking back in retrospect, I notice that I definitely feel that Michael is more of a son to me now than he ever was.

Colin and I moved in with each other very quickly after meeting. We fell in love instantly and things blossomed from there. With complications with my family (not accepting him or his child. accusations of improper intentions with me), and complications with his family (assuming I wasn't ready to take the responsibilty of having a child at my age {19}) and complications with the lengthy and drawn out custody battle between Colin and his ex, things just all kind of happened in a whirlwind with me.

For the first couple of months, I was excited and thrilled with being a step mom to Michael. Newly in love with not only a man but a baby, I was ready to take on the world. After a couple of months, financial difficulties took its toll on me, along with uncertainties of my roles and responsibilties of Michael. After all, I was only Colin's girlfriend, not his wife, and the childish part of me was saying that I shouldn't have to do the amount of "work" I was doing as a role of a parent. Looking back, I can say I'm embarassed and feel foolish to have thought such a way.

Colin and I moved apart from each other Jan 1/05. Mainly due to financial reasons, but also because I felt I needed my own space. Living apart didn't keep us apart though. We still spent every night together at either place, and saw each other every day. Now, I'm thrilled to say that we're moving back intogether, this time into a 2 bedroom apartment (instead of 1) in only 2 weeks! I wish it was sooner.

I've fully accepted Michael as my stepson now, and even in public, just to save the hassle of explaination, he is my son. I couldn't be happier. Colin and I have talked about marriage, but that wont happen for at least a year yet; I'm still young and have promised my dad I wouldn't marry until I was 21 or older. And my dad is only now coming to accept Colin and even give him a chance, after almost a year of being together. We'd like to have more children one day, and I'm excited to start our new life, in our new apartment together.

Well, theres my story. Thanks for reading.
April 22nd, 2005, 07:57 AM
magilatuzzi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to magilatuzzi
What a great story! Don't feel bad looking back that you may have not accepted him as much as you thought at the time. What matters is how you feel now toward the baby and your bf. I started having my children VERY young... I was 2 weeks before my 16 bday when my oldest was born at 28 weeks gestation. I am now 26 (27 next month) and my boys are 10 (11 next week) 7 and 5. I am now with a wonderful man, and still struggle with the dad to my boys. (we are going through divorce proceedings now) My SO has 2 girls ages 3 and 8 and life is hectic, but worth it! It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and were able to make the move apart, and then rejoin together as a couple. Congratulations to you, and welcome to Just Mommies!

DS Drew, 04/94, DS Braden, 10/97, DS Nick, 07/99, DD Danika 07/06, DD Gabriella 11/07,
DSD Rayelle 03/97, DSD Seryna, 06/01
</div>
July 1st, 2005, 02:31 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey... its me again.

I just noticed this board existed lol.

So... i may start lurking/posting here as well as on the other side!!!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search