Step son and new baby

Forum: Blended Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blended Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 10th, 2004, 07:38 AM
lynn_uk's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi guys,

Can I join you?

My step son is 11, we only see him during holidays but get on really well. So well that he prefers being with us than being at home - he is very thoughtful and clever and his mother is definatly NOT. We are hoping that at some point soon he will want to stay with us - he does say he wants to, but is also at the age where he still needs his Mum, even though she can be really horrible sometimes.

His Dad (Mick) has told him about his soon-to-arrive new brother (dates and photos below) and he seems happy. So far I have not started any conversations about it with him - I try to treat him as very grown up and figure he'll talk to me when he's ready.

So ... he's coming up for Christmas and New Year (yes - his Mum is very happy for us to have him ) and I don't know whether to continue as I have been or to bring the subject up.

Anyone been through this? I'd love to hear of anything that might come up or questions he might ask.

thanks

Lynn

December 10th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
you might say something casual like "so do you think the baby is going to be a boy or a girl" and it might get him to tell you more.

December 10th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Good idea. He has already said a few things, but his concentration goes elsewhere within seconds.

Last time we went shopping I was looking at soft drinks and he said (from nowhere) "Ginger ale helps". I know his Mum's friend had a baby last summer but I was not expecting that from him.

As I said - a very thoughtful kid

December 15th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Maybe he could help put up the crib or pick out some things for the baby..be sure to get him something then as well.

He seems like a smart kid, and will probably welcome the baby with open arms!

Oh, does his dad have any baby pics of him? Maybe you can look at them with him.

Stitched For Kids - Personalized Super Hero Capes, Personalized Hooded Towels, Nap Mats, Personalized Father/Son shirts, Toddler Aprons!
"Like" us on Facebook!
December 17th, 2004, 01:19 AM
That's a good idea. The cot (large crib?) we're getting is still in use by a friends little boy, but I should have a pram he can have a look at. We also have a car seat, I'll get him to test fit it in the car.

Thanks for that, I don't want to force him into talking, I'll see what he says next week.

Unfortunatly we need to tell him that we can't see him at Easter, Easter is 25-26 March and I'm due 23rd March. That's going to be hard I think.

Lynn

December 22nd, 2004, 12:25 PM
So ..... Went to pick up Cy for the holidays today. Within 2 minutes of him driving away from his Mum he was asking me if we had chosen a name for his brother yet. He also said that he will give his brother all his baby videos

So I don't think we have a problem.

BTW, his Mum said that as her boyfriend had just lit a cigarette she could not invite me in, so I sat in the car while they got him ready to leave. (It's only a 4 hr drive home). What I saw of the house looked a state, the boyfriend smelt of beer and fags at 2 in the afternoon and Cy says they have not even bothered with Christmas decorations. I had to pester to get warm clothes packed - I know I'll have to buy more clothes for him as she does not. I also had to pester to get the boots that we bought for him only 3 months ago, she said "but he doesn't have any boots"!!!

I just wish he could stay with us.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search