Need Advice

Forum: Blended Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blended Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 10th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm getting really nervous. My SO is planning to move in with me the end of November. He has 2 daughters from his previous marriage. 10 & 7. I've only met them 2 times. SO & I have only been together 8 months and the girls were having problems with daddy dating etc. Long story there plus SO's ex moved them 4 hours away.

Anyway, SO hasn't told them yet that he's moving in with me. We need to do that soon. I'm pushing because he has them for Thanksgiving.

On top of it all, we just found out the I'm pregnant. Obviously, it wasn't planned. I had serious fertility issues in the past. My D is an IVF baby. Anyway, we are thrilled with the prospect of the baby. The girls don't know yet as it too early. We don't want to tell them yet in case something goes wrong.

Anyway, it's probably that I'm hormonal but I'm freaking out about everything. I think the 7 year old will be ok with the baby but I know the 10 year old already is concerned about sharing her daddy with my d. My d will be thrilled. She'd love to have a baby sister or brother.

How do I make this all work? What happens when the baby is born & my d starts calling SO daddy like the baby????? A little background, her biological father is barely in the picture.

Help!!!!! Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Kris

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
October 11th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Offlikeapromdress
My dh has a dd from a previous marriage who was 9 when we met. She does pretty well. But the BM is a pain and says DD doesnt like me, but when she is with us she loves to do things with me. So I dont know how much advice I can offer.

All I can say, is to be honest with them and tell them sooner than later about moving in together. I would wait till you get past 12wks before telling them about the baby. Just always be honest and consistent and have the same rules for all kids regardless of who the real parent is. Good Luck!

3 angels, and a baby due December 08!
October 11th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks Jen.

I'm having the same experience. When I'm with the older one everything is fine. She's a great kid. Then she goes home & we hear stories.

I don't think it helped that she told her mom that "Kris is thin, pretty & smart"

October 11th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Offlikeapromdress
yes, it didnt help that I chose to be a sahm and her mom works which has become an issue. Her mother tells her Im lazy and I need to get a job. She apparently doesnt recognize that raising two children and being here to watch her child is a job. If I werent home her daughter would be going to daycare or to someone we didnt know. But I guess she prefers that.

3 angels, and a baby due December 08!
October 11th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think a lot of the time the birth mother is jealous of the stepmom. Especially when the kids take to the stepmom really well. They are probably afraid that someone else is doing a better job of raising their child than they could. I used to have problems with DH's ex calling my in-laws to complain about me and anything I did even though she lives 14 hours away. Now that we've been together for over 6 years she has gotten over a lot of it and can carry on a conversation with me about the kids. I think she felt threatened by me at first but now she realizes that we don't say anything negative about her to the kids.

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
</a>
October 11th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks this is all new to me.

The funny thing with the bio mom is she has a boyfriend - well had him before SO & her divorced. So I don't get it.

I guess it's the I don't want him but I don't want anyone else to have him either thing.

October 11th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by Lucysmom@Oct 11 2005, 02:00 PM
Thanks this is all new to me.*

The funny thing with the bio mom is she has a boyfriend - well had him before SO & her divorced.* So I don't get it.

I guess it's the I don't want him but I don't want anyone else to have him either thing.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

I think that's a lot of it. Maybe they start to realize how good of a man they lost. I think your bf should definitely talk to the girls soon about moving in together. And when you do decide to tell the girls about your pregnancy, he will just need to re-inforce to them that he will still love them as much as ever. They will probably love being big sisters and helping you with the baby. It might just take some time to get used to it.

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search