Green lunches for school kids

Forum: Green Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Green Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2008, 08:10 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Anyone have a kid who goes to school? If so, then you probably know about all the trash that comes from school lunches. Much more than when I was a kid! It seems like nowadays everyhting comes in a single serving or small pouch. So much of kids lunches are disposable! When I was little, we brought some cookies in a baggie (ad our mom re-used those) or a tupperware container, nowadays kids bring mini-oreos and the like already in little pouches, which of course cost more and use more packaging, single serving kool-aid and drink boxes, and those horrible lunchables which not only use an excess of packaging but also contain an excess of fat and preservatives.

Remember the simpler days? A sandwich and a piece of fruit, with a drink in a thermos? Much greener.

We have been making an effort to make greener choices for our son's school lunch. here is a typical lunch for him:

We do still give him oreos and kool-aid like he likes, but we make our own kool-aid at pennies a glass, and he takes his cookies and other treats in small reusable and washable containers. He can even take yogurt in those, it has always bugged me that the small yogurt containers aren't recyclable.His sandwich stays fresh and unsquashed in his plastic keeper too.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
May 3rd, 2008, 08:59 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I know exactly what you mean! When I was a kid I had a regular lunch box with a thermos that came with it. My mom would put my sandwich in a plastic container so the thermos wouldn't squish it, my drink was in the thermos, and then if I had a little snack it was in a plastic sandwich baggie. So the only thing that would get thrown away was my napkin and the baggy.

I don't have a school aged kid yet. We have quite a few years before that.

May 3rd, 2008, 11:17 AM
~Trinity~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son will start school in Fall. He's going to a private school that doesn't have a cafeteria so I will be packing all of his lunches. The children eat in their classroom and the school provides milk if the parents want. I plan to stick to a sandwich, piece of fruit, some veggies, and a snack like a cookie or some crackers. And of course the milk.

May 3rd, 2008, 08:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Rylie's Mom Send a message via MSN to Rylie's Mom
Thats a really good idea. My dd won't be in school for a long while yet, but that's good to keep in mind.
May 3rd, 2008, 09:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am so bad about this. I always seem to lose the lids for the containers.

May 4th, 2008, 04:58 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Quote:
I don't have a kid in school Isaac is only 7 months old but I was wondering how you could make green lunches very interesting.[/b]
How do you mean? You can put whatever you want in the containers. It's about using less packaging, making less trash. There is actually more opportunity for variety than purchasing pre-packaged lunch snacks and drinks. And more savings. You can buy fruit snacks, raisins, cookies or whatever in bulk and fill a small container with them. Yogurts. Fruit salads. Any kind of snack or food you have in your house. Leftovers. Any drink you want. My little girl likes to take salad. I put some shredded cheddar in another container and she sprinkles it on right before she eats, she loves it and it so healthy, and fresh!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
May 5th, 2008, 10:49 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here is a WONDERFUL lunch box thats very green. http://www.laptoplunches.com/
May 6th, 2008, 06:26 AM
cdefgmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to cdefgmomma Send a message via Yahoo to cdefgmomma
Thanks for the inkI may look into that for my hubbys lunches!!

May 6th, 2008, 07:55 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Anthony is starting school this year, and we've already discussed getting that kind of thing for his lunch box. I hate waste.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 6th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
my kids have been taking lunch boxes to school there whole school career. my oldest is in 6th grade. we re use baggies and have containers. it is very easy to do.
May 6th, 2008, 09:45 AM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
I dont have kid's In school yet but I do pack DH's lunch that way....I stopped useing Plastic bags for sandwhiches and use a sandwhich holder.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search