Wanting to be Green(er)!

Forum: Green Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Green Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2008, 12:08 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
Hello, I'm Melanie. I'm 18 and married to Jesse who is 20. We also have a 2 month old daughter, Audrey Jane.

My problem is my husband. I wanted to cloth diaper Audrey and he said he did not want to deal with cleaning up poop by hand. Well, Audrey is allergic to wipes, so guess who's cleaning up poop by hand anyway? So, I'm going to be cloth diapering Audrey from now on. Which is a great start on being greener, I think. We're also trading our gas guzzling van for a more economic car, which I'm excited about. I do breastfeed, but I also supplement with formula, she has reflux issues. So, it helps a little, I guess.

So, on to my question. Could you give me some green ideas that will be easy to put past my dense husband? He obviously doesn't want to put any effort into it and we live in a tiny apartment, so recycling isn't a very convenient option for him. I am trying to seperate his pop cans from the regular garbage, though.

Thanks very much!
May 3rd, 2008, 12:38 PM
~Trinity~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like you're heading in the right direction already.

I find that with "being greener" its easiest for me to lead by example in our house. The cloth diapering was something I decided to go ahead with regardless of how DH felt, not that he objected, but he was a bit hesitant about it at first. But now he's also fully on board with our cloth diapering.

My husband doesn't care to take too much extra effort to be green but doesn't mind me prodding him along a bit. For example: he drinks Pepsi all day and would normally toss the cans and bottles in the trash. But now I've got him putting them to the side so I can rinse them out and recycle them. I bet if your husband realizes that if it takes hardly any extra effort to be greener he's more likely to go for it. That's how my DH is! Lol.

And come check us out at the cloth diaper board if you haven't yet. : )

May 3rd, 2008, 01:49 PM
c'est_la_vie's Avatar Is it nap time yet?
Mel, my love.. Run away with me.. We'll leave the guys behind & have a wonderful earth friendly life together!

LOL

I would just go ahead with it, regardless of what he things. Men really have to be broken in. I went to the dollar store & bought a few small trash cans & I labeled them, so it made things easy for Carlos to see what goes where. He also never cleans up his junk mail or paper, so I will just toss it in a pile until we bring everything in to be recycled.

As far as cloth diapering, if you take away all the disposable diapers, he will have no choice but to use cloth! Carlos was on board from the start because he wanted to save money.

Anyways, if you need info & links you can always message me & I'll drown you in info, but come on over to the cloth diapering board & we can help with questions & suggestions, etc!

May 3rd, 2008, 03:25 PM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
how crazy... I'm Melanie and my dd is Audrey too! I am so not 18 through! lol

i think the best way is to show him that (sometimes) being green also saves alot of money! not buying diapers, paper towels, using lees laundry soap..ect
May 3rd, 2008, 03:43 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I second the invitation to visit the Cloth Diapering Board - I remember you asking about cloth way back when you were newly preggo with Audrey. Glad to see you will get to cloth diaper as you wanted to!

One thing you can do to go green even with a reluctant partner is to simply make the greener choice when shopping for household products and groceries. If he's like many men (my hubby included), he will use what is available even if it isn't what he would have chosen, before he will go out and get something else For example, if there are no paper towels, but a stack of clean cloth towels is readily at hand, he will use the cloth to clean his spills and dry his hands.

Good luck!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
May 3rd, 2008, 09:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Rylie's Mom Send a message via MSN to Rylie's Mom
I'm in the same boat as you, well, DH is on board with pretty much whatever i say but we're deffinately trying to be greener!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search