How green is your clothing?

Forum: Green Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Green Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2008, 02:21 PM
c'est_la_vie's Avatar Is it nap time yet?
So I love getting new clothes as much as the next lady, but for the past few years I've really gotten into second hand shops. I find such amazing deals, I've pretty much become a total bargain hunting fool & I pretty much refuse to pay retail for anything. I also plan on saving all of Megan's clothing & reusing them if possible. (if we have another girl later on).

Do you buy second hand? Make your own clothing? Reuse clothes for each child?

May 3rd, 2008, 02:29 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I have to say I've never made a conscious decision to shop green when it comes to my family's wardrobe but I do have a thrifty streak, so a lot of our clothing is from thrift stores and ebay. I have bought very little for my younger 2 since we saved a lot from our older 2 and I'm not exactly a fashionista so I don't mind older lines, lol. I love thrifts store shopping just for the fun of it too

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
May 3rd, 2008, 02:48 PM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
we buy alot used either from goodwill or garage sales. we also wear our cloths until they wear out, and then i've used some for quilting material and donate the rest. i'd love to buy organic or hemp clothing but they are way too much $$$. i also love hand-me-downs!
May 3rd, 2008, 03:46 PM
jonnysmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to jonnysmomma Send a message via Yahoo to jonnysmomma
Ive never thought of buying used clothes as "green".... I hate buying clothes new, especially for jonny cause he grows so darn fast(hes 3.5 and wears boys size 6 already) So i guess ive been contributing more than i thought i was..

Proud Mommy of Jonny, 8/7/04! We are loving Kindergarten!

May 3rd, 2008, 09:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Rylie's Mom Send a message via MSN to Rylie's Mom
No, i never thought to shop 2nd hand as being green. All of our clothes are always new. I will be handing down Rylie's clothes when she outgrows them.
May 5th, 2008, 08:25 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
We don't have any decent thrift shops around here. There is a Good Will in the next state over (which actually isn't too far) but they have stuff that really belongs in the trash can or the rag pile. I go in there and I'd be lucky to find clothes that came from this decade! LOL! I do get used stuff for Ben sometimes. I've also kept all of his clothes to use for future babies or to resell.

Whenever we have stuff that's ready to be thrown away (really stained or ripped) I cut it up for rags and stuff like that.

May 5th, 2008, 09:43 AM
~Trinity~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love buying secondhand clothes. And its such a money saver when it comes to children's clothing. They grow so fast!

May 5th, 2008, 10:31 AM
cdefgmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to cdefgmomma Send a message via Yahoo to cdefgmomma
we do LOTS of garage sales.......and I always give our out grown clothes to people and we take hand me downs.....we also shop in thrift stores!

May 5th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
being raised my hippys in a tiny town in CA.
i have always used recycled and second hand clothes and everything else.
i love it.
May 5th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I actually reuse alot of clothing. I sew my daughter some skirts and stuff. I also use secondhand clothes for the kids and myself.

May 6th, 2008, 02:57 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have no babies yet, so i am a green-wannabe-momma, but I already have my baby shower planned in my head. Sad i know. LOL
But its going to be a green shower....two reasons..
1. we will not be finding out the sex of baby till born (team green)
2. I want only green/earth/fair trade gifts.....or hand-me-downs! (i will take what ever obviously but green is the theme!)

I want to see how much hand-me-down stuff we can get, I only will not take a hand-me-down/used car seat, blue booger sucker thing, rectal thermometers LOL.....everything else I am totally going for reuse!

I love reusing clothes, my mom/aunt/me are just rotates stuff till its shot.
May 6th, 2008, 08:48 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
we use hand me downs, plus we are getting a sewing machine so that we can make some our selves.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search